Cup shocks

Does anyone else feel that there arent enough cup shocks in FM? I just ask because i hardly ever notice any. Its nearly always the bigger team that goes through. The biggest "shock" i see is a relegation threatened premier league team beating another higher placed premier league team.

Shocks happen IRL, Celtic at the weekend, Burnley's cup runs, last seasons FA cup are just a few examples. Maybe its just my game or maybe the balance needs shifting to give smaller teams a bigger chance. Obviously it needs careful balance otherwise teams like Sutton Utd for example would be knocking the big 4 out every season lol. Your thoughts please.

I seldom see cup shocks in both the FA and League Cup in my game as well.

The quarter-finalists are always the usual suspects. And it seems the League Cup is taken way too seriously by the top teams too. Most of them field their absolute best XI against lesser opponents, when realistically they would be resting their top stars and giving the squad players a run out.

This issue is rather a pity as it tends to lead to stale cup competitions over the years. :(

yeh definately agree, anything can happen in the cup. i also notice that the likes of arsenal and chelsea always field a near best side against carling cup opponents, whereas IRL they tend to give their youngsters a run out.

i myself like to adopt this approach being liverpool, and in a recent league cup last 16 match i was playing the likes of drogba, lampard, deco and JT at stamford bridge with the likes of david ngog, paul anderson, joe mattock and fausto rossi!! was disappointed chelsea didnt take the same approach.

Coupled with the fact that whenever I do play my weakened side in meaningless competitions and they end up losing, it's irritating to hear that my fans are disappointed with the loss and then the board stating that they're happy with my management but disappointed with that loss.

S.M.

Archived