Should I have been sacked by now?

I am in my third season as Chelsea manager and have yet to win a single trophy, this year I have already been knocked out of the league cup and FA cup, and am 9 points behind Liverpool in the league.

Now surely this is not acceptable and I should have been sacked, shouldn't I? My job status is secure and always has been.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, but just feel that I probably should have been shown the door by now.

Anyone else notice anything like this?

You're definitely a lucky man...I think there was something in the Bugs forum a while back about how it was too hard to get sacked and I think they were looking into it for 9.3 but not sure if it was ever addressed...

By contrast, I won the league and cup in my first season with FC Bayern, but went out of the cup in the first round, the following season and didn't get through the CL group stage, I was sacked despite being top of the league :(

It's interesting because I have done reasonably well in most competitions and always challenged for the league so haven't 'failed' as it were.

I think that in at least the third season I should have been told I had to win the league and not had the option of just challenging for it.

I think, given Abramovich's lack of patience with managers who are actually doing ok, it's very unlikely that in real life you would still be there after 3 unsuccessful seasons.

It's very hard to get FM to completely mirror real life, but I would be interested to know what the Chelsea chairmans attributes were. Perhaps he should be made a little less patient.

Archived