1st Season Things To Do

Hello FM Community,

I'm just trying to get an idea of how involved do people get in their first season of playing. What I mean by this is do you guys hire entire new staff or wait, signing new players releasing, training, scouting, etc, etc. I'm playing as Man U and have started several games just because I feel i'm leaving things out. I played half through one season before I noticed my reserve and youth teams were playing a totally different tactic then my senior team. Or do some of you not even change a single thing until your 2nd season? Just wondering, thanks again.

As a relative noobie to FM 09 I haven't got far into the game haven't done much with reserve tactics etc but playing as Norwich i have got heaps on transfers in!

With Man U (please pause while i vomit) i reckon u don't have to make many transfers Ronaldo apparently does nothing in the game so get rid of him! XD

you HAVE to run through your staff and trainings IMO. I have created a customs set of training for every position, and generally have 7 stars in at least 5 categories, also check your physio's, fitness coaches and scouts as i find they are generally your weaker staff to begin with. I also weed out the dead wood player wise from reserves and youth as it gives a bit more cash, reduces wages and helps spread the training load, i generally spend about 2-3 hours on the 'first day' just setting things up

Yeah I have training setup for Senior and Youth team (Tug's Training). As far as my staff goes I'm still learning about the 7 star coaching in the differant catagories. I'm having a tough time getting an enitre new staff before the season starts. Any other suggestions?

just keep building, as your aware there are a few key players that are getting on a bit so you will need to invest at some point but just build your staff over a few years, as buying a whole squad of new players can disrupt the team, a new set of 10-15 coaches can have the same effect, just gradually build

Edit training in both senior and youth level, sack poor staff hire new staff, sell the deadwood, edit club affiliates ask for a new one etc, scout certain players, add certain players to my wish list (as I call it), do my tactics and make sure the youth and reserves are playing with the same tactic! Then after the end of the first transfer window I tent to offer new contracts (this is also to those players who I didn't sell in the window). And not forgetting I actually buy some new players too!;p

I wouldn't change things around too much in your first season, both in terms of players and staff.

As for training, I have done it in the past, but on my last game I didn't bother and took Leeds to League One winners and Championships play-offs, then Sunderland to a League Cup win over Man U and then took over as Man U manager winning the UEFA Cup and Euro Super Cup, which just proves training is pointless! All this was with the same tactic as well!

I wouldn't change things around too much in your first season, both in terms of players and staff.

As for training, I have done it in the past, but on my last game I didn't bother and took Leeds to League One winners and Championships play-offs, then Sunderland to a League Cup win over Man U and then took over as Man U manager winning the UEFA Cup and Euro Super Cup, which just proves training is pointless! All this was with the same tactic as well!

It is not a necessity to deal with training in depth for you to win silverware, as you can effectively work around that by buying good players.

For people who like to develop their youth players in world-beaters, then training would be highly recommended, if not a must. So training is far from being pointless. :)

Hello FM Community,

I'm just trying to get an idea of how involved do people get in their first season of playing. What I mean by this is do you guys hire entire new staff or wait, signing new players releasing, training, scouting, etc, etc. I'm playing as Man U and have started several games just because I feel i'm leaving things out. I played half through one season before I noticed my reserve and youth teams were playing a totally different tactic then my senior team. Or do some of you not even change a single thing until your 2nd season? Just wondering, thanks again.

And to the OP, my advice would be to stop restarting a new game whenever you pick up something new. :D Just continue on with your game and incorporate your newly acquired knowledge along the way.

One tip I noticed not mentioned yet would be to pay more attention to mental attributes, especially that of "determination". If you can build up a squad of highly determined players, you will have a much easier time of motivating them to succeed. If a talented youth of yours has a low "determination" attribute, get a first-team player who has a high "determination" attribute to tutor them (option under "Player Interaction") and there is a possibility for that youth to increase his "determination" in the tutoring process.

For more information on tutoring if you want to learn more, you can search the forums for threads discussing tutoring. Many of them around. :thup:

Personally I never touch training unless it's to ask someone to learn a new position! Doesn't stop me winning the Champions League with Rangers.

who have you brought player and staff wise? I always change it as the general one doesnt get the most out of your coaches, i mean why bother signing a top attacking coach to have him running general training including defending?

Archived