What's the stupidest signing youve ever seen? **PLAYER NAMING**

hi:thup: i myself love to scan through the "Transfers" section on each window and then look at how the big signings are getting on. to my surprise i always find that half of them never get played!!

e.g.

robbie keane (liverpool to inter) £14 mill - no appearances, reserve team

andrei arshavin (zenit to man city) £20 mill - 15 apps, 3 goals in 2 years

whats the strangest or stupidest ones youve ever seen? luv to hear them:D

Mines didn't involve big money but I thought it was strange that Middlesborough, who were mid table in the Premiership, decided to sign Colin Nish from Hibs, despite him being an average striker at SPL level.

Weird.

Barcelona are a strange team on my game. All their top players seem to have very reasonable or even cheap min fee release clauses, and last summer their new manager spent £30m on Diego who made a massive 6 starts. He also left Messi on the bench for much of the season, strange how he would spend £30m on a player then chose a system that his best two players don't fit into...

Also, Man Yoo bought Steven Taylor for like £35m, then he had a couple of really bad injuries and they promptly sold him on, still crocked, to Real Madrid for £14m. There are loads more, I can't think of them now.

a few of the strange ones have been from me. its jan and i sold aquino, fleck and sinclair for 12.5m, 12.5m and 17.5m respectivly in the summer. their records so far are:

Aquino: 5(5), 4 goals

Fleck: 1(4), 0 goals

Sinclair: 4(4), 1 goal

Manchester City ran into a bug on my game on FM 2008 - they started buying and loaning everyone - literally. They had something like 20 goalkeepers in September and were taking more and more loans (their Transfer Centre was absolutely diabolical). They were taking pretty much everyone who wanted to move to them - lower Premiership sides, Championship, League One, League Two, Blue Square Premier, Blue Square North/South... Pretty much if you offered any player to clubs, Manchester City would bid for them. Their first-team squad must have had over 100 players or something, and their Reserves...

I checked their wage usage on FMM and it was in the region of around 2 million pounds per month - that of a world-class side. In the end, the wages bankrupted them and they've never recovered.

i sore man city buy robert lewandowski for 31m played 3 games no goals and then sent on his way to ac milan for free the same season!!

I buy this guy every game that I can afford him - think he's brilliant. This example is a typical case of the AI buying agood player and not knowing what to do with him. Like Rafa buying Robbie Keane, I suppose. Hey, does this mean FM is getting MORE realistic?

Liverpool paid £3.5M for 34-year old Nemanja Vidic from Levante (me) only to release him on free the same day. Interestingly, he went to Man Utd for free the next day :)

in my game man city bought nigel de jong, tranquillo and kranjcar. team didn't perform and they went down to the championship. second season falcao 34 mil. team didn't win playoffs ( finished 3th). 3th and 4th season nobody wanted to go to the champ. so they are now spending millions (25) on steven fletcher.

I've seen a couple of those weird old goalkeeper signings of late - Liverpool bought a 33-year-old Graeme Smith from Aberdeen for £40k (despite having a better 19-year-old on the books) and Real Madrid spent £750k on David Marshall from Aston Villa (despite having a better back-up and a better youngster). The prices are about right for the players involved, just not the clubs doing the buying...

Not really a stupid one as such but Barca letting Bojan go on a free, mindless??

Certainly is when i got him to sign a contract with my Rangers team and he's scored 20 in half a season.

The Bojan on a free was a bug and fixed on patch 9.0.3.

My favourite was Scott Sinclair, Chelsea sold him for Man City for £22m he played 4 games and end of the season sold him to Inter Milan for £25m who played him for 9 games and offered him out for £6m end of the next season.

I have a silly transfer story to share, so please do bear with my slightly long narration of it. :D

It is currently July 2012.

Back in August 2009, Angelo Palombo was bought by Manchester City from Sampdoria for a fee of £25.5M.

His average rating for his debut season (2009/2010) stood at 7.03 from 52(1) games.

In 2010/2011, his average rating was 7.00 from 45(5) games, a rather healthy figure.

However Manchester City apparently thought otherwise, as in July 2011, they had placed a £13.25M bid and a swop of Palombo with Chelsea for the services of their backup centre-back, Carlos Cuellar. The transfer-cum-swap deal went through and you cannot help but think that the deal was massively tipped towards Chelsea's advantage.

In his first season at Chelsea (2011/2012), he did not feature regularly in a side packed with midfield talent and thus only posted an average rating of 6.84 from 26(8) games.

That was to be his last season wearing Chelsea's colours though, as Chelsea has just shipped him off to Fiorentina for £10.25M during the current off-season.

So if you do the maths, Manchester City had incurred an overall cost of £38.75M to ultimately land Carlos Cuellar, whom had cost Chelsea a mere £5.75M earlier from Aston Villa. Chelsea meanwhile, had reaped an overall profit of £17.75M through the sales of Carlos Cuellar and Angelo Palombo, whom had arrived on a free.

Silly Citizens. :D

As Bolton I sold Elmander to Man U for £7 million at the start of 09-10 . . . good player but kept getting hurt. As far as I know he never played a game for them and was transfer listed for £1 million 6 months later. My favorite part was the press conference where they asked "Do you think Elmander could come back to haunt his old team?"

My response was "there's not much chance of that happening." :-)

hi:thup: i myself love to scan through the "Transfers" section on each window and then look at how the big signings are getting on. to my surprise i always find that half of them never get played!!

To your surprise? Really? How long have you been playing FM?

The transfer module has a massive flaw which I think is linked to players' reputations and/or signings made based on CA. Either way, it is extremely common for the big clubs to blow money on players they proceed to leave out of the squad time and again. The transfer module for big clubs needs to be a priority fix for FM10.

I received news of yet another joke of a transfer concerning Manchester City...

My backup keeper, German Lux, had wanted to move clubs to get regular first-team football and I let him move on to Juventus for a fee of £4M. My irritation at him wanting a move away only a season after his arrival was considerably lessened by that fee as I had originally signed him on a free.

Fast-forward five days, and his Juventus career was cut short. Instead, he is to return to England, with Manchester City having bought him from Juventus for £8M. What gives?!

Lux.jpg

This would be totally loony if it were to happen in the real world. Juventus essentially earned £4M for providing a week-long Turin holiday for Lux! :D

@Ediocy: Don't FIFA rules state that you're only allowed to play for 2 teams per season? (or something similar)

You're only allowed to play for two - just being at the club doesn't count, I don't think.

Also, I might be completely wrong, but I thought it was that you could only play for two clubs in the same country?

@Ediocy: Don't FIFA rules state that you're only allowed to play for 2 teams per season? (or something similar)

The FIFA regulations state that a player may only be registered with up to a maximum of three clubs worldwide over the course of one season, and may only play competitive fixtures for up to two clubs.

So what has happened in my game is totally legal by real-life standards, just that it looks really really daft on Manchester City's part for not approaching me right at the start for the player. It would have saved them £4M.

@ ediocy

Something like that actually happened in Denmark.

Odense Boldklub bought Nenad Nevakovic from Køge pr. Januar 1st and January 31st he was sold to Reggina. Odense was believed to have earned a few millions for that move. And in Denmark we got winterbreak at that time, so he didn't play at all.

@ ediocy

Something like that actually happened in Denmark.

Odense Boldklub bought Nenad Nevakovic from Køge pr. Januar 1st and January 31st he was sold to Reggina. Odense was believed to have earned a few millions for that move. And in Denmark we got winterbreak at that time, so he didn't play at all.

Haha, great nugget of info there Diouf! :thup:

I guess in the minds of the Manchester City and Reggina hierarchy when they approved of the transfers, their motto is "Better late than never!". :D

It's probably not the most stupid you'll hear, but Man Utd sold Tevez and Berbatov to Real Madrid and didn't replace them. They let Welbeck leave too and decided to go one up front, with the goalscoring machine that is Fraizer Campbell as back-up to Rooney.

It's probably not the most stupid you'll hear, but Man Utd sold Tevez and Berbatov to Real Madrid and didn't replace them. They let Welbeck leave too and decided to go one up front, with the goalscoring machine that is Fraizer Campbell as back-up to Rooney.

I think that is possibly down to Manchester United's finances being poor ingame?

In my save, they sold Ronaldo to Real Madrid (surprise surprise) for a cool £75M. They have also let Carrick, Possebon and Welbeck go. Giggs, Neville, Scholes and van der Sar have all left or retired as well.

Who had they bought in the meantime? Nelson, Yoan Gouffran, Luis Jiminez and Rio Mavuba. But they moved Yoan Gouffran and Luis Jiminez on after just one season at the club, leaving behind Nelson and Rio Mavuba as the old new faces at Old Trafford in four seasons. :rolleyes:

But erm, they managed to win the EPL title just the season past. Haha...

Archived