Pre-Contract Agreements

I was looking at a player my scout found, and noticed that he was out of contract in the summer.

So I thought I would have a look and see if he would be interested in coming and note he has agreed a pre-contract with another team.

Thats fine, so when I go to offer him a deal it says that I can't?

I don't understand as a pre contract is not a legally binding agreement, and in real lief there have been cases where a player has agreed to one but changed his mind, and more recently when a player became injured, the club pulled out of the deal.

So, why is this not implemented?

Is it a club in the same country the player is playing for currently?

The rules of this have changed IRL and you can now only a approach a player in the same country a month before the end of his contract. If the player is in another country you can approach him 6 months before the end.

Is it a club in the same country the player is playing for currently?

The rules of this have changed IRL and you can now only a approach a player in the same country a month before the end of his contract. If the player is in another country you can approach him 6 months before the end.

That's not what he was asking

I was looking at a player my scout found, and noticed that he was out of contract in the summer.

So I thought I would have a look and see if he would be interested in coming and note he has agreed a pre-contract with another team.

Thats fine, so when I go to offer him a deal it says that I can't?

I don't understand as a pre contract is not a legally binding agreement, and in real lief there have been cases where a player has agreed to one but changed his mind, and more recently when a player became injured, the club pulled out of the deal.

So, why is this not implemented?

To all intents and purposes in FM09, these contract ends in the summer agreements are binding. What would be nice though, like with Didi Hamann when he finished at Liverpool, if a player has signed an end of contract agreement with another club, that your could still put a bid in for this player with his new club.

Huwflet, you need to read more carefully. ;)

Anyway, I don't think it is implemented in the game currently. Once they sign then they sign.

i think this would be a great feature in the game dont you

i think this would be a great feature in the game dont you

I don't know. How would you feel if you were following this gem of a player you discovered and his contract was expiring and you beat off the competition to sign him up on a pre-contract and then he changes his mind and does not want to join?

I am happy to leave it the way it is to be honest.

I don't know. How would you feel if you were following this gem of a player you discovered and his contract was expiring and you beat off the competition to sign him up on a pre-contract and then he changes his mind and does not want to join?

I am happy to leave it the way it is to be honest.

I agree.

I've only heard of two or three cases IRL where a player agreed a pre-contract agreement with a club and then changed his mind, and in all of those cases the player (or the player's new club, I don't remember) had to pay some sort of compensation.

Do you have a real life example of a player pulling out of a pre contract agreement without the consent of the club he was going to? I can't think of one, I can remember one where the player got cold feet and the buyer agreed to terminate the agreement, but that is obviously a different matter.

One thing that should be in the game is that if you have agreed a pre contract with a player, you should still be able to submit a transfer bid to take him early, i.e. in January, with the selling club more likely to accept a reduced fee because they know the player is gone anyway and want some cash back.

Also, where did the whole same country agreements only being available with a month to go thing come from? IRL Celtic agreed a pre contract in January with Lukasz Zaluska of Dundee Utd to move when his contract is up in the summer, so it is clearly not the case at least in Scotland. Anyone shed any light on that?

Archived