Personalities

Start of my 2nd Season and I'm after raking in a 6 star youth according to a youth coach that has a JPA of 20/20.

One problem is that his personality is slack, I'm assuming that this is a negative one. Whats the best personality for his to be learning from and what other attributes besides natural position is good for a tutor?

Thanks in advance

Crap, I dont have a model pro CM hanging about....

LOL @ "no ma joab"

I know people can easily imagine what certain personalities do but is there an official list of what the effects of personalities have within the game engine or something quantitive?

You don't necessarily need a model pro to tutor players. Any player with either Professional, Determined, Driven, Spirited, Resolute, or Ambitious, personality should be a good tutor. Usually the higher the determination attribute, the better the tutor will be, from my experience.

There is a thread that you'll want to see.

The title is FM Personality Guide by Lyssien.

I'll paste his first post:

I have done some testing on the players' personalities using FM Modifier. Here are my conlusions on what personalities are. They depend on the attributes determination, influence, professionalism, ambition, loyalty, pressure, sportsmanship, temperament, most of which are hidden.

Ambitious: Ambition = 15-19 & Loyalty < 10.

Balanced: none of the rest

Born Leader: Influence = 20 & Determination = 20.

Casual: Professionalism = 2-4 & Determination < 10.

Devoted: Loyalty = 20 & Ambition = 6-7.

Determined: Determination = 18-19 & Ambition >9.

Driven: Determination = 20 & Ambition > 9.

Easily Discouraged: Determination = 1.

Fairly Ambitious: (Ambition = 15) or (Ambition = 16-20 & Loyalty >9).

Fairly Determined: (Determination = 15-17) or (Determination = 18-20 & Ambition < 10).

Fairly Loyal: (Loyalty = 15-17) or (Loyalty = 18-20 & Ambition = 8-14).

Fairly Professional: (Professionalism = 15-17) or (Professionalism = 18-20 & Temperament < 10).

Fairly Sporting: Sportsmanship = 15-17.

Honest: Sportsmanship = 20.

Iron Willed: Pressure = 20 & Determination > 14.

Jovial: Pressure > 14 & Temperament > 9.

Leader: (Influence = 19) or (Influence = 20 & Determination < 20).

Light-Hearted: Sportsmanship > 14 & Pressure > 14 & Determination > 9 & Temperament > 9.

Low Determination: Determination = 2-5.

Low Self-Belief: Pressure = 2-3 & Determination < 10.

Loyal: Loyalty = 18-19 & Ambition = 1-7.

Model Citizen: Determination > 17 & Ambition > 17 & Loyalty > 17 & Pressure > 17 & Professionalism > 17 & Temperament > 17 & Sportsmanship > 17.

Model Professional: Professionalism = 20 & Temperament > 9.

Professional: Professionalism = 18-19 & Temperament > 9.

Perfectionist: Ambition > 17 & Professionalism > 17 & Determination > 17.

Realist: Sportsmanship = 2-4.

Resilient: Pressure = 17-19 & Determination > 14.

Resolute: Determination = 15-17 & Professionalism = 15-17.

Slack: Professionalism = 1 & Determination < 10.

Spineless: Pressure = 1 & Determination < 10.

Spirited: Pressure > 14 & Professionalism = 15-17 & Temperament > 9.

Sporting: Sportsmanship = 18-19.

Temperamental: Temperament = 1-4.

Unambitious: Ambition < 6.

Unsporting: Sportsmanship = 1.

Very Ambitious: Ambition = 20 & Loyalty < 10.

Very Loyal: Loyal = 20 & Ambition = 1-7.

Thanks a million!

Sorry for not being able to spot the thread but there is loads about the place!!

Hopefully I can get that Professionalism sorted, it would ruin my players potential

When I go to tutor, which option is best to influence a change in their personality? I assume the ideal role model one, is that correct?

I told my youth player that he should adopt Scott Brown's (Celtic) approach to the game as he thought Brown was a talented player. They both responded to this very postively with the youth saying he could learn alot and also looking to adjust his mentality on and off the field.

Despite Brown having no preferred moves, this should work??

• 4 weeks later...

As an obsessive, I couldn't cope with 'Balanced' being translated as 'none of the rest', so I've turned it into numbers, assuming all of the other descriptions are correct.

Balanced = Ambition 6-14, Determination 6-14, Sportsmanship 5-14, Temperament 5-14, Professionalism 1-14 (5-14 if you can see determination is 10 or greater), Pressure 1-14 (4-14 if you can see determination is 10 or greater), Loyalty 1-14, Influence 1-14.

In the past, I've always assumed 'Balanced' was OK, but it can really be pretty rubbish. A player with ambition 6, determination 10, sportsmanship 5, temperament 5, professionalism 1, pressure 1, and loyalty 1 would be called 'balanced'.

I reckon personality types should be able to be pre-selected in the editor instead of selecting the numbers for each attribute. Then selecting the personality you can then tweak the attributes to how you would prefer. This would make it far easier on the researchers part. I wanted to put myself in the game but found it hard to select my personality so I guessed the attributes and when I started a new game I was loyal. However looking at all the different personalities I would say I'm casual.

Also I think personality is one of many aspects on how players develop. More focus should be on developing players in this game without PA caps. The sky is the limit in life so why can't any single player become world class? With the right training, attitude and good old fashioned luck anyone could become the next Stevie G.

I say booo to PA caps and yay to personal development.

PS...I also don't understand the reasoning why we can see determination and influence yet cant see all the other personality traits. I think we should not be able to see them both. This way when selecting a captain we look at their personality and when when buying a new player it wont be as easy to see if he has high determination.

Personality does impact on player development, and this goes hand in hand with PA cap. The PA cap serves as an arbitrary limit that can be viewed as the player's innate talent of maximum potential. With the right mentality (professionalism and ambition), regular training and match practice at the competitive level and some luck, the player will then be able to reach its PA cap.

Personality development is far more important in FM 09, than previous versions. In every game, you will see that Zapata and Robinho, by far the 2 famous footballers that do not hit their maximum potential (PA cap) due to low ambition and professionalism respectively.

Determination has an in-game effect that affects the motivation of players in the match engine. Hence, it is displayed for managers to see. The other personality traits only affect the player's development so it will only be revealed through scouting and classified under broad categories.

Personality development is far more important in FM 09, than previous versions. In every game, you will see that Zapata and Robinho, by far the 2 famous footballers that do not hit their maximum potential (PA cap) due to low ambition and professionalism respectively.

I like this. However what about the players with high professionalism and determination to get better but can't get as good as Robinho because there is a cap on them. Sucks for them.

I favour 'Professional' personalities and NEVER get a player that has 'Balanced'.

Just wondering as I have a "Highly Professional" squad, why it would be hard for a Determined person to settle in. Sure a determined player would have to be fairly professional but my scouts always say Determined players might struggle to settle. Most of my squad have high determination anyways

I like this. However what about the players with high professionalism and determination to get better but can't get as good as Robinho because there is a cap on them. Sucks for them.

Like what I say earlier, PA cap is imposed as an arbitrary limit to a player's growth, deemed as the natural talent being endorsed by the various researchers. Just imagine Alan Smith being brought back into the past, he didn't have the natural talent (to reach 188 PA) despite having high professionalism and determination. Now at present, his PA is 150 which is the highest CA he has reached in his career.

Just wondering as I have a "Highly Professional" squad, why it would be hard for a Determined person to settle in. Sure a determined player would have to be fairly professional but my scouts always say Determined players might struggle to settle. Most of my squad have high determination anyways

Those players that you have scouted might have low professionalism stats so they might struggle to settle.

See thats the problem, they have Determined personality but Im sure in real life a manager would be able to see if they player is professional or not. In FM its very difficult unless the a third party editor is used.

As much as I agree that determined players should have a certain level of professionalism or vice versa, when the game uses broad classifications, it's really hard to tell whether a player is professional. So, the best way to go is to find someone with the descriptions of model professional, professional, model citizen and perfectionist. The players' determination level can be read off the players' attributes screen w/o scouting.

Also I think personality is one of many aspects on how players develop. More focus should be on developing players in this game without PA caps. The sky is the limit in life so why can't any single player become world class? With the right training, attitude and good old fashioned luck anyone could become the next Stevie G.

I couldnt disagree more.

A player could the greatest focus, the best coach, an amazing attitude and luck and still come no where near the level of ability required to become a professional footballer, let alone a world star like Geraard.

Unfortunately for us mere mortals, natural ability is by far the key factor in beoming as good as someone like Gerrard. Without the right genetics, you wouldnt get there no matter how hard you tried. The only way to represent this in the game is PA and a PA cap

Archived