SI Need Do To Go Backwards To Move Forwards

Ok, so in 2005 SI released the football manager series with FM 05 and was a instant hit with nearly all football management fanatics,

To me I thought that the game was a breath of fresh air from the CM series and took management games to a hole new level.

The next year SI brought the second FM game out with FM 06 (Arguably the best FM game of the series.)

FM 06 had it all a good transfer system excellent match engine and good player manager interaction.. Ok the game could have been helped by a few

miner tweaks,which were seen in FM 07, but really was not as addictive as FM06, But I fell that since FM 06/07 the game has been moving slightly down hill. (down get me wrong I love FM 09) but fell that the SI have tried to hard to make FM better but have failed in some ways. The introduction of the 3D match engine I thing was great but things Such as the match engine has been going down hill, I only really see 3 kinds of goals with the new patch, 1. long range screamers, 2. header from corners and 3.penalty's other goals do come other ways but rarely do..

The transfer System, Was good in the old FM games a few minor bugs but nothing as bad as in recent FM games, SI have tried to pull this back this year after last year awful effort but sill no comparison to FM06/07..

I feel that the way to take the game forward is to look backwards to the older FM games and take from them what us gamers loved from them , I am in no way saying go completely back , but the foundation of FM was great and to much of that great foundation has been changed for me in the hopes of making FM better.

I do believe they have in some ways with news reporters interviews, player interaction, and a detailed database, but if they took the old qualities of FM and the new quality of FM and rolled them in to one for FM 10.. this game would be the ultimate management game!

This is not another FM rant by the way just my opinion on the FM series and do play FM 09 a like the game just feel their is something missing..

Thanks for reading, please comment and tell me your views.

Well I have to agree that FM2007 was the best version yet. In the 9.3.0 Football Manager, I find the match engine fantastic and I definitely don't only see the goals that you see. Overall, I agree with you in a few of your points but not in others I am afraid.

FM2007 was the peak of the series for me. Perfect blend of realism and difficulty, and the best regen system until FM2009 made for good long term games.

FM2008 wasn't a bad game, but the match engine had big problems, and I never really got into it the way I normally do.

I'm loving FM2009 though and am enjoying it like I did 2007, as again I feel its hit the right blend of realism and difficulty.

The best way is always forwards, not backwards.

That includes learning from any past mistakes over the years whilst striving to improve the game in the future.

I love all the previous releases... right back to the very first CM which I played on a Commodore Amiga. I have revisited some from time to time, but nothing ever beats the most current release for me.

i love the football manager games but this version i believe has gone over the top on how complex it is, with tactic's and coaching, I believe SI need to go back a step in these area's to make a decent game back up to a great game. I feel really sorry for new players as i think SI have totally ignored them with how complex it is, i don't the type of heuristic testing they do but it doesn't seem to be enough in my view for example "there a big gap between your forwards and midfield"<< you assitent manager should be saying "you should think about telling player x to make mor forward runs", in simple terms you shouldn't need to be super smart to perform a key task in the game.

Recognition rather than recall

"Minimize the user's memory load by making objects, actions, and options visible. The user should not have to remember information from one part of the dialogue to another. Instructions for use of the system should be visible or easily retrievable whenever appropriate."

Help users recognize, diagnose, and recover from errors

Error messages should be expressed in plain language (no codes), precisely indicate the problem, and constructively suggest a solution.

by Jakob Nielsen

:-)

SI don't need to go backwards, they just need to stop on some fronts and let the others catch up. Innovations like the 3D engine etc aren't really needed to be improved/worked on majorly for FM10, but things like press conferences, buggy match engine etc do need to be worked on.

FM09 is too time consuming. I loved its 3D match engine, but apart that every single new feature after FM07 seems to me quite unnecessary. I play FM since CM2, and I used to thought it improved every year, until FM08. And this year again there are too many boring features like press conferences and assistant manager feedback during the matches.

For now I'm back to FM07 and enjoying it.

Archived