Anyone bored of FM09?

I have plain and simply had enough of FM09. Maybe i'm just lazy but I thought this computer games was for football fans also fun as computer games mostly are. As a football fan and a fan of previous FMs' I thought I was in for a trreat with this installment, however I find myself bogged down in stupid slidders and more tactic options than big red buttons in the Pentagon. Put simply this FM is a fiddle to far its completly over complicated, I dont want to read essays on the tactics forum just to get a goal.

Please can you put the fun back into this game I used to be able to play for hours but now it seems like a chore to open the programme. I really enjoyed this game up until fm08 then a spark seems to of dissapeared from the game. hopefully the next installment will be kept simple.

Another thread from someone who is finding the game too hard huh? So you can't be bothered reading up on some info on here to help you try and enjoy the game some more? Well......your loss mate. Experiment with your own tactics - if you've tried that then try and use a successful tactic from the T&TF.

I don't understand the people that come on here and moan that the game is not longer fun just because they are having a hard time with winning/success (that's the reason why your posting this thread, right?). If you really aren't happy put your game on ebay and make some money back but my advice would be to suck it up and stick it out coz eventually you'll find the right formula. I started out with no success for a couple of months irl but eventually with some reading on here and experimenting with new tactics I've managed to get consistency and a long term career has sprung out of it.

To answer your original question - Am I bored of FM09? Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not that i havent read up on the tactics, its more the fact I shouldnt have to. I want a game that I can install and have fun with from day one by all means if people enjoy the reading up then thats fine but I don't want to spend hours and hours of fiddling and using other peoples tactics to have a fun game. Take fm07 for example there were simpler tactics and so it was easier to manipulate your tactics I even had fun losing games on this one and would still play it for hours on end.

The standard 4-4-2 tactic has worked for alot of people in this game IIRC. Fair enough I understand you don't want to read up on tactics etc. and that you shouldn't have to but this version of FM has become more realistic and more realism has lead to it being more tactical based this year. You don't have to be a tactical genius to enjoy this game but you do need to take into account alot of factors this year to get your team firing.

It can't just be as simple as turn on the game and BOOM you've got success, it does take some time to get things right.

I tend to go through stints with Football Manager, it depends on what other games I have uncompleted. I'll play Football Manager for a couple of weeks, then i'll usually buy a new Xbox game and get hooked on that. For instance, the last month i've been playing Fallout 3 when I get the time, but now I fancy playing Football Manager again :).

In terms of replay value Football Manager is top of the market. From the point of purchase it gets played on a regular basis until the next version is released. But it can get boring if you play it solid for long stints as any game would. But you'll always come back to it.

I was finding it a little tough to get into this version of FM before the latest patch. I was always stopping and starting but now I'm finding myself playing it a lot more and I'm also enjoying it more. The match engine is a lot better and the whole feel of the game has changed somehow, in my eyes.

For me FM09 is still enjoyable, although they really need to work to strike a balance between random chance, tactical nous and player stats rather than the current system of 85% tactics.

The entire tactical module needs to be simplified to the tune of about 50%. Sliders are fine, but we need less categories, a more generalistic and not so precise system with max 10 notches per slider.

This game does frustrate me a lot, and I have a lot of trouble working with my tactics and all but I really enjoy the game. I believe that there should be some sort of difficulty setting or something to make the game easier or harder AI-wise.

I dont want to read essays on the tactics forum just to get a goal.

I didn't read any essays in tactics forum, or go a step further and download any tactics, and I havve been doing alright for myself. :thup:

Maybe you're just rubbish at the game?

Its not that i havent read up on the tactics, its more the fact I shouldnt have to

Go for an FPS or a soccer console/arcade game mate, Simulation games are meant to have lot more people involvement. Having said that even FPS games are getting complicated nowadays :D

I find FM series engaging because of the detail level in the simualtion. Agreed winning has become tougher and you are required more than rudimentary soccer knowledge to be successful in the game nowadays, but its about par for a strategty/simulation game. I find that the complexity of the game is making it more addictive. Had to struggle till I had tweaked my tactics to give me some relative success, but enjoying whatever success I get more as I have to think out a way to win. :)

personally i think this is the easiest installment since FM06. certainly it's the first one which i managed to develop one decent tactic without looking for tactic advises. and no i am not playing with a big team either

personally i think this is the easiest installment since FM06. certainly it's the first one which i managed to develop one decent tactic without looking for tactic advises. and no i am not playing with a big team either

Exactly.I dont know why people complain if they have to read long post about tactics or if they are doing bad.isnt that what management is about.having good and bad times

Anyone bored of these kind of threads?

Yep!

I never get bored of the game, frustrated yes. I go through phases of playing hours on end and then taking a week or so off just to get my mind properly on it again. As someone said before, if anything I tend to get bored of saved games rather than the actual game. Although this year I have only started one game since I bought it and we're still going strong!

Definately bored of seeing these threads.

Although i agree that people should be entitled to their opinion, expecting SI to change future releases to make them easier is just silly. FM is only as hard as you make it for yourself. Manage a team like United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barca, Real etc for an easy experience, or pick a lower team to make it harder!

If you really cant get any success with teams like the above, you are doing something wrong!

I don't feel that you need to be a tactical genius to play it. I almost never tweak/set opposition instructions etc. I just made a simple tactic (4-4-2) and stuck to it. Sometimes I make an adjustment to it, but nothing that would baffle a small child!

On dafuge's challenge I'm now in League One with Boston Utd, having kept the same tactic the whole time. Just stick with it. Don't try to do too much or everything will become unsettled.

Another thread from someone who is finding the game too hard huh? So you can't be bothered reading up on some info on here to help you try and enjoy the game some more? Well......your loss mate. Experiment with your own tactics - if you've tried that then try and use a successful tactic from the T&TF.

I don't understand the people that come on here and moan that the game is not longer fun just because they are having a hard time with winning/success (that's the reason why your posting this thread, right?)

Why do people always have to bite the head off anyone who expresses a negative opinion about the game?

I don't agree with the OP either but I find this sort of response completely unnecessary. Why is it so hard to treat people with a bit of dignity? If you disagree then explain why without resorting to insults and put-downs, and if you are bored with this kind of thread then you don't have to contribute.

Not even slightly bored of FM09, but I did open up my FM08 save after work last night because I fancied a blast with it. I started that save in April last year and will keep it going even when FM2010 comes out.

FM09 did me a great service in reigniting my enjoyment of my Scunthorpe save in FM08. After 10 years in the Championship and starting to get worse rather than better I was giving up and moving on to FM09, but then, with FM09 not exciting me I returned and tried importing an FM09 tactic (since FM09 has more detailed default tactics rather than just the positioning of blobs on the pitch) and suddenly my FM08 experience took off again, Scunthorpe made the playoffs for the first time, lost and then stormed up automatically the year after.

So that is what FM09 has done for me. I have occasionally returned to FM09 to play it, but haven't got into it...very little different to FM08 in a positive sense for me.

Now that we have the 9.3.0 patch, FM09 seems like FM08 with a 3D match view to me. Nothing to really choose between them. Except for press conference, which, by the way, I unfortunately hate. I'd much rather SI had focused on making it easier for me to communicate directly with my players than on implementing the horror that is the press conference.

Press conferences were majorly disappointing, especially considering they were the one addition I was really looking forward to.

The major differences, that make me prefer 08, are the 2D view and processing! I hate 09's 2D, it's too small and I don't like TV View. Processing was to be expected, but I was used to going home at lunch time and playing 3 or 4 games on 08, i'd be lucky to get one done in 09.

That sounds like it's more down to your system than to the game because 3D was always going to require more processing power. I can knock out about two games during my lunchbreak if I don't go to Subway and get stuck in a queue.

I have plain and simply had enough of FM09. Maybe i'm just lazy but I thought this computer games was for football fans also fun as computer games mostly are. As a football fan and a fan of previous FMs' I thought I was in for a trreat with this installment, however I find myself bogged down in stupid slidders and more tactic options than big red buttons in the Pentagon. Put simply this FM is a fiddle to far its completly over complicated, I dont want to read essays on the tactics forum just to get a goal.

Please can you put the fun back into this game I used to be able to play for hours but now it seems like a chore to open the programme. I really enjoyed this game up until fm08 then a spark seems to of dissapeared from the game. hopefully the next installment will be kept simple.

i dont find 09 anymore fiddly than 08 or even 07. i do however admit that its more complex than CM3. although it isn't too difficult to get a good tactic. if you had a decent tactic that didn't exploit loopholes in the match engine in previous versions then they'll work with minor changes in the future iterations of the game.

i dont believe the game will be made 'more simple' for fm10 because the game has been moving towards a more deeper simulation of football. so being more simple would definetly be a step backwards.

making whats there more user friendly and for it to be slightly easier to work out why your tactics aren't working (or why they are working) would be good though.

i certianly dont want the answers put on a plate for me though so thats why i say 'slightly' easier to work out.

That sounds like it's more down to your system than to the game because 3D was always going to require more processing power. I can knock out about two games during my lunchbreak if I don't go to Subway and get stuck in a queue.

Oh yeah, it's nothing to do with the game, it's definately my computer, but i'm not going to buy a new one, so 08 appeals to me.

Press conferences are awful. A nice idea but very badly implemented.

What sort of manager would take the kind of crap they ask?

What is your relationship like with Ron Manager?

You don't seem very decisive - what is your relationship like with Ron Manager?

I mean come on, can you imagine SAF putting up with this?

Press conferences were majorly disappointing, especially considering they were the one addition I was really looking forward to.

I was used to going home at lunch time and playing 3 or 4 games on 08

wow! thats dedication! i like to be sure i have a fair amount of free time before loading up FM. i hate the thought of getting really into it and knowing that i've got to exit in 20minutes time.

Good points raised, I am going to stick at it for now.

I am still not a fan of all the sliders I just couldnt see a manager saying to a midfileder I want you to have an attacking mind today of 16/20 which is not realistic even though everyone says this is the most realistic fm ever. Although that is a bit of a sweeping statement as I am not a real manager so for al I know players could be asked to be 16/20 attacking, but i doubt it. tbh I would prefer 5 choices like before ultra def, def, neutreal, att, and ultra att I cant see how that was flawed enough to be changed.

Also I am not a massive fan of the 3D yet, altough it does have massive potential, I enjoyed using my imagination as my player elbowed someone in the face, plus in 2D the players don't do the splits when they shoot.

All in though I am going to give the game a chance and persevere with it as I to am always drawn back to the game. Cheers for the responses.

wow! thats dedication! i like to be sure i have a fair amount of free time before loading up FM. i hate the thought of getting really into it and knowing that i've got to exit in 20minutes time.

It's not too bad, I live approximately 3 minutes away from work and get an hour for lunch :)

I play FM 09 with a standard 4-3-3 attacking, tweaking the mentality 2 notches up, and I get success.

So no 1800 word bible (even though it is brilliant, after spending 2 and a half hours myself reading it when bored) is the only solution to success, neither is downloading 100 "super, guaranteed to win you the league and champions league with some obscure hungarian team" tactics.

I tired of playing every single game a while ago, so now I holiday through the season, stopping only to play important games. I select 5 or 6 key players I want to play every game, and leave the other positions blank. Then I tick 'use current team selection' and let the AssMan select the rest of the positions as he pleases. Then I do the exciting bits in January and the close-season. Just another way of playing the game, and keeping it interesting after having played a cumulative of over 100 seasons over the past FMs and CMs! :)

Like some have said, i'm not bored with the game - it's superb - I just can't get into any save no matter who I go as. I'll admit that before this version i'd never bothered with doing tactics, but started doing some and it does make it massively more enjoyable. But, though realistic, I find myself tweaking sliders every 5 minutes. Like the press conferences it just got tedious and I gave it up in the end.

My saves go two ways :-

Can't win a game in the first season so exit and delete

or

Do decent/well in the first season, think "I've finally got a save that works properly (ie: I can actually win)" but then season 2 comes along and so go back to square one.

When players like Torres or Adebayor score less than 15 in a season, you know you're doing something wrong! :(

Frankly my best saves are the ones where I do exactly the same as the above poster, but that doesn't fulfill the game's purpose so...

I find myself bogged down in stupid slidders and more tactic options than big red buttons in the Pentagon.

You'll probably find there's only one big red button in the Pentagon. That's the one they use as a fail-safe should the alien impregnated clone of Elvis escape from his cryogenic chamber.

i do have to agree with this.i have reached the point where i just send the assitant manager

I've stopped playing it. i just don't think it's that much fun and i never feel in control of anything.

I can't make my own tactic work, god knows I've tried! I feel like i'm only playing half the game when, to get any success, I have to download someone elses' tactic. The tactic system would work fine -just tell us how to learn it! tt&f is a great piece of work and i'm not saying change anything about it for people like me but even tho i think I understand it the principles contained in it, I obviously don't, and I don't know why!! For me there are more worthy things to get so frustrated about so I don't play anymore.

This isn't a moan or a dig at SI, it's obvious a lot of people love the game and I want to as well but it aint happening for me. Maybe 2010 will be different. SI haven't lost a customer, I'll still buy it every year like we all do, I just really hope the next version is challenging rather than frustrating.

Yep i find it way to complicated and boring. Im crap at it as i dont care. I just want to be able to enjoy it for an hour every now and then as ive better things to do. Plus whats with all the people thinking they can patronise people on here if have asked a question as they couldnt find it in all the threads? Its not possible to, I try to keep a game going but find myself switching it off 10 mins after ive come on it.

I let my ass man do the press conferences. I have Massimo Neri, Cappello's right-hand man IRL, to do them.

Archived