Man Utd Manager

When Alex Ferguson retired on my save in 2010, they offered me the job. I turned them down but decided to keep an eye on them as I was interested in the identity of their new boss. I was quite surprised to see they had appointed Steve Coppell. Now, I think this is a bit unrealsitic as I was expecting them to appoint a World Class Manager and Reading were still in the Championship. I know he used to play for them but there were better managers on the game, who have played for them. Roy Keane lead Sunderland to 6th the year before.

Anyway I just wanted to know if anything similar has happened in your saves and if the Man United new boss has surprised you?

IRL, when fergie is gone, i cant imagine Man U.

Keane will get the nod i reckon

Possibly but I personally think that they'll go for a big name european manager like Mourinho and if he's unavailable or not interested, which would be highly unlikely I think, then they will probably go for another high profile european manager.

Although Keane was a great player I personally don't think he was that much of a manager.

Possibly but I personally think that they'll go for a big name european manager like Mourinho and if he's unavailable or not interested, which would be highly unlikely I think, then they will probably go for another high profile european manager.

Although Keane was a great player I personally don't think he was that much of a manager.

Mourinho is unlikely, you may have read in the papers a couple of weeks ago that he wants to go back to chelsea.

Copell Hotspur manager for 7 years now in my since 2012 so he seems to be quite rated in the game. Man U Managers:

Fergie until 2011, Allardyce until from 2011 to 2012, Ancellotti until 2016, Mark Hughes until 2018, then Skibbe...

Successes after Fergie: Hughes and Skibbe Carling cup winners, not very thrilling but Liverpool went into administration meanwhile...so...

Sir Alex is still around on my save.

IRL, I listened to a Spanish radio interview with none other than Eric "The King" Cantona a week or two ago. He's apparently on the phone to Fergie "a couple of times every week" alsop "keep in touch with some of the players who were there when I was" (Scholes, Neville, Giggs) and is also "very good friends with the Glaziers"...

Make of that what you will... ;)

Chelsea end up being really poor in my game (im managing Man Utd). The sacking of Scolari happens in 1st season then they employ some Nigerian who's stats are one of the worst EVER seen for a Prem club manager. Needless to say they have been relegated from the Prem TWICE, have NOT bought anybody in 7 years whom they have managed to keep for 2 seasons, BUT still thhyemployy the same guy!!! Where is the reality in that? :thdn: :thdn:

Phelan got it on mine done ok won the league once plus a couple of runner ups really annoying manager tho as he keeps unsettling kerrison among others

In my Villa save, I have a great relationship with Phelan and I bought their best player when normally he would have rejected the offer. So thanks for that! :thup:

He has been there for at least 5 seasons and has been doing an irregular job, finishing in 8th, sometimes 4th and last season he finished in 12th. Fortunately for him, he won the FA cup twice in the last 3 years, assuring UEFA cup participations but so far he hasn't won anything

Roberto Mancini has taken the hotseat in my game and I'm in 2012.

IRL I think the only manager that will be able to follow the 'wonder act' that Sir Alex produced is Jose Mourinho. I think alot of managers will be scared to follow in the footsteps of Fergie but Mourinho will be one of the only ones who could step up to the challenge.

Juande Ramos got the job on my 9.2.0 save

Ferguson is still there on my 9.3.0 save

yup, Juande ramos got the gig while i was on 9.2.0, upgraded to 9.3 and he is doing quite well

Ferguson won the double (CL/PL) in his second season, gave it up midway through the third and ramos won the CL in the fourth, then made the semi in the fifth.

Pretty good run for united over 3 seasons

Coppell was Ferguson's replacement on FM08 quite often. But wwhen Fergie retired on FM09, it was their coach Phelan (first name Mike??) that took over, and was soon World Class and continued their success as if Fergie hadn't left

Fergie should retire within 3 seasons i think

I've got a sneaking suspicion that he will be at the club until the day he dies, which will probably be in the dugout during the Utd Arsenal game at Old Trafford.

I've not paid attention to this on my game, i think i might keep an eye on the big four to see if anything interesting happens.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that he will be at the club until the day he dies, which will probably be in the dugout during the Utd Arsenal game at Old Trafford.

I've not paid attention to this on my game, i think i might keep an eye on the big four to see if anything interesting happens.

Ferguson will retire at the end of the 09/10 season when United take over Liverpool for the number of first division titles (unfortunately).

Ferguson will retire at the end of the 09/10 season when United take over Liverpool for the number of first division titles (unfortunately).

I'm still sceptical on that, he's set a retirement date a few times and not kept to it.

I have a feeling that after he surpasses the Liverpool record of 18 titles then he may retire BUT there is something in the back of my mind saying he may be there for a long time yet. Jock Stein died in the dugout....will Fergie?

Steve Coppell managed to complete a degree in Economic History while playing for United... you dont see that much nowadays!!

Steve seems to have been around forever, he was managing in England before SAF arrived from Scotland, yet he is only 53. While certainly a good coach and tactacian, he did leave the Man City job after 6 days citing the 'pressure of the job' was too much. After that, I cant imagine him being given the top job in real life...

Speaking as a Reading fan I am biased, but he is a fantastic and often under-rated manager!

Utd have gone through 9 managers since Fergie left in 2010, its now 2013 and they've never finished higher than 2nd. They lose so many matches yet finish high. The thing that winds me up is the prem is always won by Arsenal by at least 15 points each season, if they didnt win it so often then Utd might well finished pretty high. Only thing they've won since Fergie left was the Carling Cup...

I know they've had Riijkard, Scolari, Coppell, Phelan, Hughes, Keane, Mourihno, Capello and now Meulensteen is in charge lol.

In real life (not in fm09), i seriously think that steve bruce would/should have a change to manage man utd, obviously he's already a icon there, and he has was brilliant with birmingham and especially now with wigan, with a tranfer budget that looks more like chelsea's monthly expenditures on salaries.

I'd rather see Martin O'Neill tbh, or Mourihno. Both have experience with big teams and I think have a lot to offer to the club. Steve Bruce doesn't really have the experience of leading a massive team to european success.

I know these managers have to learn somewhere but the best team in the world (at the moment) isn't the place to learn imo lol.

Off topic anyway, but Utd have just sacked Meulensteen in my game, 10th manager on his way.

no he doesnt, but if everyone thinks like that (and by everyone i mean club chairmen), then we will never ever again see a english manager in a top 4 team. and what about joseph guardiola in barcelona, his previous experiences at barcelona 'b' side is hardly top level creditentials...

But i completely understand your view, of course those you mentioned are much better able of managing a team like man utd, but i do hope bruce would be given a change. Especially as i don't support united so it wouldn't matter if he fails :D

Giggsy eh?

like to see as a manager

i my view would be a great manager

i mean no bad can come out of being 12+ years with arguably the best manager

i really hate Man U

but i have real respect for Fergie

That would be awful:( but i must say he has dedicated so much time to Man united and the eam is now reaping awards and success and titles

That would be awful:( but i must say he has dedicated so much time to Man united and the eam is now reaping awards and success and titles

In my Liverpool save, Rafa ended up taking over United.

It's bizarre because our teams have a huge rivalry, but he has a huge affection for my club and we get along great. Never had a good relationship with a United manager before.

It's bizarre because our teams have a huge rivalry, but he has a huge affection for my club and we get along great. Never had a good relationship with a United manager before.

wow just imagine the press if this was to happen they would have a field day....how is rafa doing at man u on your game

If this happened IRL Rafa really would be cracking up. I'm not sure both sets of fans would be pleased.

Rafa Benitez = The worst top 4 manager since the premiership began.

He's had 4 years, a heap of money and he still cannot build a side that can compete with Chelsea and Man utd. He constantly under estimates smaller clubs, makes baffling team selections and tactical decisions (i.e 4 - 5 - 1 against Stoke, strikers on the wings), several silly signings per season, and he has a determination to use this rotation policy. Replace Fergie... don't make me laugh, I honestly wouldn't even want him at Sunderland.

It took Mourinho 1 year to do what Benitez hasnt been able to do in 4.

Rafa Benitez = The worst top 4 manager since the premiership began.

He's had 4 years, a heap of money and he still cannot build a side that can compete with Chelsea and Man utd. He constantly under estimates smaller clubs, makes baffling team selections and tactical decisions (i.e 4 - 5 - 1 against Stoke, strikers on the wings), several silly signings per season, and he has a determination to use this rotation policy. Replace Fergie... don't make me laugh, I honestly wouldn't even want him at Sunderland.

It took Mourinho 1 year to do what Benitez hasnt been able to do in 4.

Well said my friend, exactly what I was going to say! :p

Archived