Set piece degradation

A lot of my players are becoming gradually worse at taking set pieces and I am failing to understand why.

All my training regimes (I divide things up into positional training) have set pieces at no less then medium (with the exception of strikers).

My coaches have a range of coaching attributes, though they are all ex-defenders so defensive minded.

Still, though, my players set piece attributes continue to drop steadily.

Is there any benefit to a set piece training schedule to stick certain players one for a time? I don't need a team full of set piece takers but I want one with good stats. My free kicks and corners are starting to suffer.

Would there be a benefit to dropping my worst coach and getting in a more attack minded coach? There is a guy waiting in the wings, that I have been wanting to sign up for a while, but my board refuse to allow me another coach.

I'm really at a lost end and am fed up with watching free kicks rebound against defenders and end up with my keeper or seeing corner kicks sail out for a throw.

Originally posted by swash:

There is a thread about this on the bugs forum, I think there is a problem with this issue and there is not a lot you can do about it

Thank you swash, I'll have a look. I was going to post there in the first place to be honest. I think I decided on here because the emphasis there is often tactical.

It's an infuriating issue and I am determined to find a way around it.

SI wouldnt release a 3rd patch now. FM09 is now well into development i would imagine and i doubt they would go back in their plans to fix a bug now. They should have fixed it before the 8.0.2 patch but it seems they like to fix things from 8.0.1 that was not broke and then break them.

I just hope they could release a quick patch but i suppose we all need to put up with it.

I would just pray FM09 is a big improvement from FM08. I am getting annoyed at buying the same updated game every year.

I've never had this problem but I just have a sort of general training set up for all out field players and adjust sliders as the season goes. The only slider I never adjust is set pieces, its always on intensive (it uses up the least of your training allowance).

BTW a good set piece coach should have:

Technique = 17 & Mental + Attacking >= 39 or

Technique = 18 & Mental + Attacking >= 36 or

Technique = 19 & Mental + Attacking >= 33 or

Technique = 20 & Mental + Attacking >= 30

(from T&TG FAQ)

originally posted by nelsonmcjones:-

I've never had this problem but I just have a sort of general training set up for all out field players and adjust sliders as the season goes. The only slider I never adjust is set pieces, its always on intensive (it uses up the least of your training allowance).

BTW a good set piece coach should have:

Technique = 17 & Mental + Attacking >= 39 or

Technique = 18 & Mental + Attacking >= 36 or

Technique = 19 & Mental + Attacking >= 33 or

Technique = 20 & Mental + Attacking >= 30

(from T&TG FAQ)

Can you post a screenshot of a player showing him gaining points in set pieces? Say a regen aged 16/17 and then aged 21/22?

I have save games from every year and cannot find a single player who has gained any set piece attributes.

Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Can you post a screenshot of a player showing him gaining points in set pieces? Say a regen aged 16/17 and then aged 21/22?

I have save games from every year and cannot find a single player who has gained any set piece attributes.

Can I look at a players stats retrospectively? i.e. what his stats were originally compared to what they are now. 'cos I only use a single save file so I don't have any saves from previous seasons...

Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

Can I look at a players stats retrospectively? i.e. what his stats were originally compared to what they are now. 'cos I only use a single save file so I don't have any saves from previous seasons...

you can post screenshot of player's set pieces attributes graph from player profile > training > attributes > training category - set pieces

by the way, we're talking about 8.02 version

Originally posted by polkij:

set pieces training is bugged http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9482076743/m/6352035883

but still SI unwilling to confirm it being a bug

well according to your link si BHA has admitted that there is a problem with attribute progreession (which includes penalties)

so i dont see where you get the idea that SI are refusing to believe it is a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

you can post screenshot of player's set pieces attributes graph from player profile > training > attributes > training category - set pieces

by the way, we're talking about 8.02 version </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I thought of that but it only shows improvements for the last 12 months, so a couple of guys have gone up 1 for crossing but thats about it...

I could compare the stats of a real player (e.g. Gazza Bale from my 2013 save) with his stats at the beginning of a new game. I'm not sure it would prove anything tho 'cos players don't always start with the same stats do they? Or do they? Errrm... what do you reckon?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by n0va:

I am getting annoyed at buying the same updated game every year.

so dont buy it, such bugged game dont deserve a penny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry but that's a stupid thing to say. FM is such a big game, with so many different aspects to it that it would be next to impossible to get it perfect. Every time they try to fix a bug that has cropped up it leads to the potential to cause a bug elsewhere.

They continue to add to and improve the game every year as well as keep the existing edition updated and people like you quash their efforts with uneducated comments.

Would you prefer they release an edition every three years so they can perfect their ideas? If that were the case we may still be playing with commentary and basic training schedules. There might not be as many bugs though.

Any bugs this game does have are not game breaking and there are ways to get around them.

I wouldn't have started this thread if I knew it was going to bring such uneducated comments.

Originally posted by postal postie:

well according to your link si BHA has admitted that there is a problem with attribute progreession (which includes penalties)

so i dont see where you get the idea that SI are refusing to believe it is a problem.

well, this thread was created in the middle of march and there is no clear answer for this ...

and please read to the end ...

Si BHA: "I'm waiting for a response from the coders. Whatever it's considered right now doesn't matter because it's logged. So I'll either recieve an explanation why there's not a problem or it'll be fixed."

Originally posted bynelsonmcjones:

Yeah, I thought of that but it only shows improvements for the last 12 months, so a couple of guys have gone up 1 for crossing but thats about it...

I could compare the stats of a real player (e.g. Gazza Bale from my 2013 save) with his stats at the beginning of a new game. I'm not sure it would prove anything tho 'cos players don't always start with the same stats do they? Or do they? Errrm... what do you reckon?

you could use the fresh version of Genie Scout (http://www.genie.fm/), create a start point to compare player's attributes progress, take any young player (about 20 years old) with a potential more then 155 and give him hard training of set pieces for one year(it's enough to see improvement), the only stats that would increase is crossing ...

anagain

great <STRIKE>game</STRIKE> idea for the game, but very bad realization ... from year to year a lot of bugs and patches that fix one bug and add another new one ...

Would you prefer they release an edition every three years so they can perfect their ideas? If that were the case we may still be playing with commentary and basic training schedules. There might not be as many bugs though.

i would, and most of the bugs because of poor coding and rushing the new release, also testing of the game is real ****, just playing for few hours could help you to avoid such problems like this one ...

Any bugs this game does have are not game breaking and there are ways to get around them.

if you play only one season you can feel effect of some bugs, but for 5 or more years of management they're ruining your enjoyment ...

also to add ... there a lot of lies about realism in the game ...

I don't think you understand the realism of making a computer game the size of FM.

If they really weren't doing all they could to limit bugs then there would be dozens of them. Trust me I played Vanguard.

Originally posted by swash:

There is a thread about this on the bugs forum, I think there is a problem with this issue and there is not a lot you can do about it

Now THAT is interesting. I have C. Ronaldo AND Ronaldinho in my team (don't ask), and suddenly they keep passing free kicks to the guy standing next to them (even tho' I have no instructions set to 'stand next to taker') and rarely try long range free kicks any more.

Originally posted by postal postie:

well, this thread was created in the middle of march and there is no clear answer for this ...

and please read to the end ...

Si BHA: "I'm waiting for a response from the coders. Whatever it's considered right now doesn't matter because it's logged. So I'll either recieve an explanation why there's not a problem or it'll be fixed."

that's not quite refusing to believe its a problem though.

what he's doing is not allowing himself to cut off a possible answer.

no doub tthe process goes:

a problems been logged

someone goes away and tests it

that someone comes back and either says why there's not a problem or why there is and it'll be fixed.

it's a simple process and i think your reading to much into it

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

Now THAT is interesting. I have C. Ronaldo AND Ronaldinho in my team (don't ask), and suddenly they keep passing free kicks to the guy standing next to them (even tho' I have no instructions set to 'stand next to taker') and rarely try long range free kicks any more.

i have the same problem with set pieces instructions, no one of my players hes "stand with a taker", but while watching a 2d match i was surprised to see 2 players standing with a taker

look into this thread too http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1519717/m/5792003593

postal postie:

do you still believe that si going to fix/patch known bugs for FM08?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

i have the same problem with set pieces instructions, no one of my players hes "stand with a taker", but while watching a 2d match i was surprised to see 2 players standing with a taker

look into this thread too http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1519717/m/5792003593

postal postie:

do you still believe that si going to fix/patch known bugs for FM08?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no. but then i also dont believe that they purposefully turn a blind eye to issues within the game that need fixing.

they are fixing them for the next iteration.

personally, and i know that some people are having problems whether their real problems with the game or just because they dont understand the game, i am having no problems at all.

fair enough the amount of shots i'm taking and not scoring is increasing with every season i get into the game but then that's juist because my players are getting better and better at attacking.

io'm still having fun and not coming across any d eal breakers.

• 1 month later...

The year (in game) is 2028 and a player with a corner ability over 9 is so rare you'd think he's made of gold. For fun I also searched for players who take free kicks and penalty kicks, free throws and crossing. Troubling results to say the least.

This is a pretty serious issue me thinks, didn't even notice it until my most recent corner taker retired and I was looking for a new one.

Archived