West Ham hired a manager with terrible manager stats. Bug?

First season, Zola was just sacked at the end of January as they are 17th. 2 days later this is his replacement:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7197/westham.jpg

Now for a Premiership manager, and for someone that's going to hopefully rescue West Ham's season it seems a bit of a poor choice. Can't say i've noticed (or looked for for that matter) any other poor managers taking over decent clubs, so maybe it doesn't warrent a bug, but a very strange choice surely?

Seems more to do with the real ambition of the club. IRL, WHU are a bit skint and that seems to be reflected in the game. They guy is good with youngsters, is a good motivator and appears to be a disciplinarian. More to the point, though, check his wage: he's cheap. Perhaps it's all the Hammers want to/can afford?

Going slightly off-topic, I must say it's disappointing how often West Ham are relegated in FM09. It seems to have got worse in 9.3.0. It's even harder to take when Tottenham usually challenge for Europe first season!

Seems more to do with the real ambition of the club. IRL, WHU are a bit skint and that seems to be reflected in the game. They guy is good with youngsters, is a good motivator and appears to be a disciplinarian. More to the point, though, check his wage: he's cheap. Perhaps it's all the Hammers want to/can afford?

Exactly... he's a manager and not a coach. The board might feel they have a number of good coaches already in place and wanted someone to 'manage' the club through motivation, working with youngsters, adaptability and discipline.

Don't really think it's a bug. See how he does, it might turn out he does really well for the club.

• SI Staff

Thanks for identifying this.

This manager is ordinary in the database, but by human error he has a very high World Reputation rating.

I'll amend his WR in the master database for future, and suggest that you do the same in your editors.

Going slightly off-topic, I must say it's disappointing how often West Ham are relegated in FM09. It seems to have got worse in 9.3.0. It's even harder to take when Tottenham usually challenge for Europe first season!

This is something that I have noticed, as well. In FM '08 as well as this year's iteration, there is a recurring theme: West Ham seem to have a solid youth set-up, but they suffer from signing expensive (both transfer-fee-wise and wage-wise) fringe players from mediocre (in comparison to their stature) clubs, fielding a weaker team, as far as the Premiership is concerned, plunging themselves into untenable financial circumstances, and as a result of this poor overall club management, end up consistently flirting with relegation, not to mention bankruptcy/administration. No doubt that the revolving-door managerial policy further adds to their misery.

Enough of my complaining though, all in all, I have to say, if I could marry FM, I would ;)

That same guy took them over on mine and got them relegated. Didn't realise his stats were that bad though.

Thanks for identifying this.

This manager is ordinary in the database, but by human error he has a very high World Reputation rating.

I'll amend his WR in the master database for future, and suggest that you do the same in your editors.

He has a WR rating of 170. Should he be brought down to 70? Less?

After I made the change in the editor, I noticed that I had to save the DB as another file. Does it mean that I need to start a new game for the change to take effect? Or does the game somehow know that I want it to use the new DB? I'm a bit of an editor noob, apparently.

Thanks

Funnily enough on my current save, West Ham have also just sacked Zola. Hard to understand why though, as they were 12th in the EPL, well clear of the drop-zone and only went out of the cups because they played Arsenal and also unfortunately Man City, who had just spent nearly 200 million in the transfer window!

They replaced Zola with Hugo Sanchez, who's previous foray into English management had been to guide Blackburn into the bottom three and therefore the sack. So the opposite applies in this case - good managerial attributes... but rubbish manager! ;)

Archived