The "I'm Terrible At FM" Club

I'm pretty much awful at FM. I know what everything does and I know a lot about the attributes etc, but I just can't seem to piece it together. I can't be the only one out there who is just plain terrible at this game.

I'm actually so bad that when I tried to get my Benfica team put out of the league cup, in order to avoid fixture congestion, I failed and won 5-0 :D

If you're terrible at the game and want to tell the world about your managerial inadequacies, feel free to join my club and tell us all your tales of woe.

I can do all the other stuff well enough, but tactics in 08 and 09 have all come from other people, as i just do not have the time and patience to mess about with all the sliders.

Funnily enough, i usually come across a great tactic that usually gets my Hammers overachieving from season 1 and winning the EPL no later than Season 4.

That said, i've tried all the 9.3 tactics so far, as well as all the old 9.2 ones and even some before that(on 9.3) with absolutely no success, so i'm in FM limbo at the moment, until somebody(hurry up) releases a tactic that works wonders for me again?

If it does'nt happen, i'll have no choice but to quit altogether?

I was told that the TT&F stuff worked even better with the 9.3 patch, but i tried it all out again and i must say i have never come across such a tedious and boring way of playing, with most games finishing 0-0 or 1-0 and both teams rarely having more than 3 or 4 shots. Even if i was winning 1-0 every game, i could still not consider persisting with the TT&F.

I've tried downloading tactics, but even the best ones don't work for me :D Couple that with the "Nomis07 European Bug", and i'm beginning to think i'm jinxed.

lol,I've read some of your posts where you said you've managed to kick my beloved FC Bayern out of the CL without a win. Shame on you.

Dan't say I'm struggling with 9.3.0 so far, my tactics just click this time, but especially with 9.2.0 I had serious trouble with my FC Bayern save.

the 0-6 loss at Wildparkstadion in Karlsruhe (with my best squad!) almost put an end to all my FM 09 careers lol

lol,I've read some of your posts where you said you've managed to kick my beloved FC Bayern out of the CL without a win. Shame on you.

On my first Bayern game with FM09, I came bottom of the group :(

LowPoint.jpg

Steve McLaren beat me to the Uefa Cup position :eek:

Sign me up. I've played previous FM's and I've enjoyed some successes by building extremely strong teams. But even with a strong team I'm completely rubbish at FM 09. I think I understand the game well enough and my tactic is decent, but when things go wrong, I haven't got a clue as to what's the problem and how I should fix things. And things often go wrong. I've started a new game on 9.3.0 because I was terrible on the other patches, but guess what, I'm still woefully terrible. I don't even dare to hope for any sort of half success anymore, because I expect defeat every game I play. Even if I play some obscure Eastern European team with my Man Utd, I still expect the worst. Nevermind hoping for the title...

The days of earlier FM's where I could build a strong team and get 3 CL wins in 5 years are definately over. :(

Can count me in!

I have played CM/FM for at least 10 years, i love every minute of it, but god i can be bloody awful at times.

Fine, anyone can win the champions league back to back with the likes of United, Barca etc so i have been trying my hand at Lower League Management.

So far i have taken my Braintree Town side to a promotion in my first season....full of beans i am taking on the Blue Square Premiership, and after a month, i havent won a game yet!!!

You have to be patient for the first league. It's always difficult. Try in the summer to play the same tactic and then when you find the ideal don't change it . just change a little the position when you have an easy match.Training i recommend you not change it. Let all the players in general and just select your medium or high(not recommended).

In fm09 is more easy to be sucked because you don't have patient. I 've been sucked one time and now with this team i won 7 years the trophy (+4champion's league)

Good luck and hope you to became a World Class manager ;)

I'm not terrible at FM. Then again I'm not great, the highest thing I have ever won is the Championship Title. I can manage to get mid table in the top leagues, but I can't get good enough players or enough consistancy to get any further.

I think I won the FA Trophy (that's Trophy not Cup) once on one version of CM/FM but I am very bad in cup competitions.

I'm brilliant at FM :cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Actually I'm no longer brilliant at FM, I was only good up until FM09. In my FM09 Sunderland game I lost my first 11 league games in a row! I was facing the sack but somehow turned it around and avoided relegation. This season's looking a little better though. But all in all I think it's safe to say I suck at FM09.

In fm09 is more easy to be sucked because you don't have patient. I 've been sucked one time and now with this team i won 7 years the trophy (+4champion's league)

Good luck and hope you to became a World Class manager ;)

If sucking makes such a huge difference then it should really be blacklisted by WADA lol.

This is getting dirty now

I've tried downloading tactics, but even the best ones don't work for me :D Couple that with the "Nomis07 European Bug", and i'm beginning to think i'm jinxed.

This pretty much explains why you've been so active in my 'Idea for FM 2010' thread! :D

I'm okay at 09 I think, I sucked until I read TT&F. Have now created a decent tactic (doesn't mean that the current tactics system doesn't need a change though) :p

On CM4, CM 03/04 and FM 05, 06 and 07 I was pretty good too. 08 was the first one I really struggled with. Just a sign of the game getting harder I suppose.

i always thought you was one of the better managers lol, may be you just present your self well ;)

im good at scoring lots of goals and getting my striker to score well, just need help defending and counter attacking, hows your counter mate?

I took Man City as my first game on FM09 (Actually no, it was QPR, but the less said about that the better). I could not win an away game for toffee.

Come to think of it, that's just like real life...

Now I'm Chelsea. And I still can't win an away game for toffee...

You know, this might be a bit radical, but has anyone tried the default tactics? Just move the defensive line to "normal" instead of "push up" and the 4-4-2 attack works a treat for me. Just make sure the inside right MC has a lot of stamina, good passing and decent footballing intelligence.

I seem to do just fine in the Premiership, and most other top leagues with lots of money.

But i started a game with Southend United recently, I was 21st in January, so let my ass man take over with his awful stats. He won promotion via the playoffs :(

Is there a free gift upon sign up?

Im utterly useless, i have not one a single trophy on FM09, (apart from the JPT with Cheltenham, but i holidayed that season whilst watching a football match) No matter what team i am, titles and honours avoid me, like a mouse and mousetrap.

Sign me up. I've played previous FM's and I've enjoyed some successes by building extremely strong teams. But even with a strong team I'm completely rubbish at FM 09. I think I understand the game well enough and my tactic is decent, but when things go wrong, I haven't got a clue as to what's the problem and how I should fix things. And things often go wrong. I've started a new game on 9.3.0 because I was terrible on the other patches, but guess what, I'm still woefully terrible. I don't even dare to hope for any sort of half success anymore, because I expect defeat every game I play. Even if I play some obscure Eastern European team with my Man Utd, I still expect the worst. Nevermind hoping for the title...

The days of earlier FM's where I could build a strong team and get 3 CL wins in 5 years are definately over. :(

So the game is obviously more realistic then

I'm currently in 2018 and have only won the Blue Square Premiership so far at club level. Been sacked twice so far too.

At least you've done that much. I'm in 2014-2015 and have been stuck in the Blue Square South with Braintree the entire time. Flirted with the promotion playoffs a few times, but always crumble down the stretch and fade into mid-table obscurity. The team frustrates me. They'll win an FA Cup match against a League 2 side one week and then lose to the bottom-of-table BSS side the next week. But I guess that's life in the lower leagues.

I have found my place! :D

To be perfectly honest, I'm not that bad. But on 09 I have struggled to find a good tactic so I downloaded one for the first time ever (although modifications have been made).

Where I fall down is in team selection really. In my current game I've moved from Plymouth to Aston Villa to Celtic and I think I've developed good,young and talented sides with each. But where I fail is when I pick my team every week, I'm too soft. I like to be a Benitez and rotate the squad so that players get games. Results come but I was forced to resign from Villa because they were too inconsistent. Couple that with anger issues and you've got a manager failing to reach potential in 09. :D

I've also won 2/3 trophies in 12 seasons:(

That said, i've tried all the 9.3 tactics so far, as well as all the old 9.2 ones and even some before that(on 9.3) with absolutely no success, so i'm in FM limbo at the moment, until somebody(hurry up) releases a tactic that works wonders for me again?

I'm hoping to get a thread or two in the T&T Forum with some tactics sorted this weekend. I was late getting FM09 this time as I decided to wait and keep an eye on the patch situation. Now that I have the "final" patched version at my disposal, what I've been working on thus far seems very good, though it's actually a tactical approach I imported from FM08 (but didn't upload) and have tweeked a little.

The feedback for what I uploaded for FM08 was pretty good, although eclipsed by the KIMZ thread and others based mostly on exploiting the match engine. I try to avoid this on the basis that normally any exploits are spotted and removed from the next release, rendering them useless. What I work with tactically has changed very little for a number of releases, so unless there are drastic changes to the tactics and match engine sides of the game, they're always something that can piggy back to the next years release.

I think that the key to any tactical success is having a good platform to work with from the beginning. Also, though clearly some disagree, there's some superb information in the various sections of the forums.

I do feel however that things are a little quieter here than previous years, especially in Tactics & Training, and the Good Player & Teams forums. Is this down to the game being more difficult or less easy to exploit? Less people using the forums, or less of the "regulars"? I really can't say.

So the game is obviously more realistic then

Undoubtedly, but at the expense of fun for some people (mind those last 3 words). The sense of reward when winning stuff will be much better I suppose, I just can't win anything anymore. Makes you wonder if more realistic = better.

Sign me up!

The only way I can win is by downloading other people's tactis and using FM Genie Scout and sometimes a little bit of save and reload. Without these I would probably get Arsenal relegated in first seasons.

But it doesn't bother me; I like the game the way I play it.

I'm hoping to get a thread or two in the T&T Forum with some tactics sorted this weekend. I was late getting FM09 this time as I decided to wait and keep an eye on the patch situation. Now that I have the "final" patched version at my disposal, what I've been working on thus far seems very good, though it's actually a tactical approach I imported from FM08 (but didn't upload) and have tweeked a little.

The feedback for what I uploaded for FM08 was pretty good, although eclipsed by the KIMZ thread and others based mostly on exploiting the match engine. I try to avoid this on the basis that normally any exploits are spotted and removed from the next release, rendering them useless. What I work with tactically has changed very little for a number of releases, so unless there are drastic changes to the tactics and match engine sides of the game, they're always something that can piggy back to the next years release.

I think that the key to any tactical success is having a good platform to work with from the beginning. Also, though clearly some disagree, there's some superb information in the various sections of the forums.

I do feel however that things are a little quieter here than previous years, especially in Tactics & Training, and the Good Player & Teams forums. Is this down to the game being more difficult or less easy to exploit? Less people using the forums, or less of the "regulars"? I really can't say.

I look forward to your upcoming threads, thanks Heath.

I took Man City as my first game on FM09 (Actually no, it was QPR, but the less said about that the better). I could not win an away game for toffee.

Come to think of it, that's just like real life...

Now I'm Chelsea. And I still can't win an away game for toffee...

Have you tried firing yourself and getting the Guus? Worked for Chelsea irl :)

I suck, I bloody suck. Well actually it might not be me as Charlton are absolutely pants on this (cue some joker telling me they've got Charlton into the Champions League in 3 seasons etc), but I've just been through pre-season and the only team I could beat was my reserves. I couldn't even beat Welling for Lord's sakes. Tactics, tactic, tactics. I know and I don't care. I'll be rubbish until the team respect my way of playing and my way of doing things and I'll keep going until they do.

I'm glad this thread has come alive, i can finally come crawling from behind my rock and admit, I'm a disgrace on his game. Always start of with Forest and always seem to get them into the Premiership either first, second or third time of trying. FM05 I Got into Uefa Cup by winning the FA Cup, FM06, hanging about this relegation places, FM07 same again, FM08 i went up, went straight back down, couldnt go back up, got the sack and now FM09 after 4 seasons of up down up down, got the sack. Each promotion i've ever had, bar 2 League One titles, were through the playoffs. now Huddersfield in League One and where do i start? Not one tactic works EVER. Facing the sack with them too.

And the cups.. Oh dont get me started, i lose heavily to lower sides, let alone equal or higher sides.

I think I qualify for this as well.

Only ever won one Premier League, never won the CL or even a domestic cup.

I did win the Copa America with Brazil but that's not the hardest thing in the football world to do lol.

I seem to get underperforming teams to perform ok, but with good teams I really struggle.

Example: Real Valladolid were second from bottom in the Spanish Second Division in 07, I took over after getting sacked by Leeds and took them to a top half finish, then the next season finished 4th and failed to go up through the playoffs. But then in my third season at the club we started really badly and ended up resigning before I got the sack.

I can't do anything with good teams, illustrated by taking Werder Bremen (then the champions in '05) to a wondeful 17th place after half a season, before the inevitable sacking/resignation (forgot which one came first lol)

Archived