What's the difference between First Team and Key Player?

I know this is probably a case of RTFM but I have no idea why I put it (the curse of not needing the DVD to play!)

If I offer someone First Team, does the bench count? Or does he expect to start?

And if he expect to start, how is it different to Key Player?

Thanks!

I know this is probably a case of RTFM but I have no idea why I put it (the curse of not needing the DVD to play!)

If I offer someone First Team, does the bench count? Or does he expect to start?

And if he expect to start, how is it different to Key Player?

Thanks!

First team - someone who expects to play most games.

Key Player - someone who expects to play nearly every game he can. Someone that the team is based around, typically, such as Steven Gerrard.

Ok, thanks. So offering someone Key Player and another First team in the same position aint gonna work then... ><

It will work, but the 'first team' player is likely to become unhappy after a couple of months if he is always left out of your starting 11.

I sign players on 'key player' status if they may be a little harder to get, so most of my team is on key much of the time. I dont have problems either not sure why i do rotate heavily for cup matches though.

A key player is someone you would probably put on the team sheet first, they would be considered the most important players at the club.

A first team player is someone who gets in the first eleven regularly, but are not "key" to the clubs future.

I sign players on 'key player' status if they may be a little harder to get, so most of my team is on key much of the time. I dont have problems either not sure why i do rotate heavily for cup matches though.

at smaller clubs i have to do the same, sometimes its the only way of adding that extra "carrot" to lure them to you.

what implications are there from having too many key players in your starting 11? say for example you have a squad where the first 11 are all key players and the others are all backup. any downside to this?

Back in CM01/02 I never set players to First Team or Key Player. At best it was Squad Rotation, because I cannot guarantee that they would play every, or even most games, and I don't want to fleece them by telling them so.

Obviously this isn't really possible now (with all their temper tantrums), but I still do not place extra importance on some players over others. Every one is fair game IMO and I decide ultimately who plays and who doesn't.

Virtually every player in my squad has key player status and ive had no problems so far (7 seasons). I find that its the only way to get the better players to come to the club!

The squad status feature has never worked that well. They care alot about what status you assign to them, but don't seem to care much about whether you play them.

A player who is told they are first team and plays 20 games will generally be happy. A player who plays 30 games as a backup player will not.

Archived