Why are the board disappointed with me?

I'm at the start of a new season and, in board confidence, it says "the board feel you should be performing slightly better in your role as manager". How?!

I'm top of the league with a 100% record after four matches. I've won the one cup match we've played so far. I'm under my wage budget and finances in general are healthy. What exactly could I be doing better?! Squad harmony is fine, matches are all fine and there's no disappointment in any of my signings. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The only slight negative is club stature, which the board aren't happy with. I assume that's because the club was relegated last season, but I wasn't manager then so it's not my fault. They can't possibly be disappointed in me because of that.

Anyone think of any reasons why?

have you done anything to warrant negative media attention?

for example, criticised a referee and been reprimanded by the FA?

or criticised another manager too heavily?

i duno if this affects it, was just an idea

I would guess it's due to the relegation, they aren't happy at being in that division. Not your fault at all but it should change if/when you get promoted or raise the club's profile some other way.

I had a similar problem, took over a club in trouble midway through the season. They had been expected to win the title but it wasn't happening and they were 19 points off the pace. Early feedback was that they wouldn't judge me on league form this season as they understood the position the club was in when I took over. However, because we put together such a good run and the top teams failed to maintain their form, we took the title to the penultimate game and only missed out by 2 points in the end. Suddenly the board were disappointed that we hadn't won the league. Go figure :D

I'm at the start of a new season and, in board confidence, it says "the board feel you should be performing slightly better in your role as manager". How?!

I'm top of the league with a 100% record after four matches. I've won the one cup match we've played so far. I'm under my wage budget and finances in general are healthy. What exactly could I be doing better?! Squad harmony is fine, matches are all fine and there's no disappointment in any of my signings. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The only slight negative is club stature, which the board aren't happy with. I assume that's because the club was relegated last season, but I wasn't manager then so it's not my fault. They can't possibly be disappointed in me because of that.

Maybe they expect clean sheets and bucket loads of goals.......:p

Apologies for bumping my own thread, but I'm worried I'll end up getting the sack. After all, club stature isn't going to approve while I'm in this division, but I can't force us up a division in mid-season! I'm worried that the board will stay disappointed and not wait for us to get promoted, and I'll be sacked for something that wasn't my fault.

Apologies for bumping my own thread, but I'm worried I'll end up getting the sack. After all, club stature isn't going to approve while I'm in this division, but I can't force us up a division in mid-season! I'm worried that the board will stay disappointed and not wait for us to get promoted, and I'll be sacked for something that wasn't my fault.

Sounds like football to me. :D

I wasn't. I said I was worried about it, to which you replied that it sounds like real football, to which I asked what manager ever got sacked because the previous one got them relegated.

Isn't this problem linked to the bug that has been discussed before, where every manager has their board confidence reset at the start of the season? I'm sure you will be fine if your teams keeps up the good form :thup:

skorp? Light-hearted comments?! Whatever next?! :D

I think my basic frustration is seeing the board disappointed with me even though I've won every match so far, bought good players and kept the finances in order. I can't see a reason for them to be unhappy other than club stature, but that isn't my fault because they were relegated under the previous manager, not me.

skorp? Light-hearted comments?! Whatever next?! :D

I think my basic frustration is seeing the board disappointed with me even though I've won every match so far, bought good players and kept the finances in order. I can't see a reason for them to be unhappy other than club stature, but that isn't my fault because they were relegated under the previous manager, not me.

I can understand your frustration Mike7077, I believe it is mostly due to the club being relegated the season before which whilst not your fault will quite understandibly mean that you are going to be under pressure right from the start. I'm sure that if you keep gettng results then they will change the way they view your performance. By the way, what expectations did you set at the beginning of the season?

Are the board disappointed with you or are you under-pressure?

I'm not described as under-pressure. In board confidence, it says the board are disappointed and feel I should be performing slightly better. I just don't see what more they want from me. To be fair, it's said that since about five minutes after I arrived at the club. I think it's connected to the previous season's relegation. I took over in the May, but after all fixtures were complete and relegation confirmed. It absolutely was not my fault, but I think it's connected to this.

Just keep your cool, get the results, have some good cup runs and make the January transfers count.

Out of interest what team are you managing?

I'm managing Nurnberg. They were relegated from the Bundesliga, completed all their fixtures, then offered me the job.

I'm managing Nurnberg. They were relegated from the Bundesliga, completed all their fixtures, then offered me the job.

Then surely the second division is a walkover?

Dont worry, you wont get sacked unless you fail to get promoted:thup:

Just dont do anything to get into the boards bad books:D

I'm sure that it is related to the relegation. KUTGW and you'll get that performance related opinion changed around.

The Second Division does indeed look very winnable, especially with the players I've brought in.

And anyway, i believe this is a good thing, you could use the opportunity to bring up your youngsters and creating a team that could easily survive the next season.

I think it's connected to the previous season's relegation. I took over in the May, but after all fixtures were complete and relegation confirmed. It absolutely was not my fault, but I think it's connected to this.

I think you're right, and this was a major issue in 08. Unfortunately, on 08 I was sacked by Ateltico, in a similar situation (i've discussed it before and won't bore you with it again). Hopefully the system has been improved for 09, although it doesn't appear to be 100% working just yet.

I'm sure that it is related to the relegation. KUTGW and you'll get that performance related opinion changed around.
Yep, I agree. Once you've made it 'your' team, rather than one inherited from the previous manager, you'll be fine. Good luck

It's probably true that, with a little time and a few more good results, it will change. But that's not the point. I just think it's a shame that you can make such a good start and then read a message telling you it isn't good enough.

I think you're right, and this was a major issue in 08. Unfortunately, on 08 I was sacked by Ateltico, in a similar situation (i've discussed it before and won't bore you with it again). Hopefully the system has been improved for 09, although it doesn't appear to be 100% working just yet.

Ouch! Mind you IRL we do see the new manager come in and be given little or no time to change things around with little or no transfer budget, a few bad results and he's out. Now what Premiership teams have done that recently........

i find my board very hard to please , im arsenal and now into my third season , i won the league and f.a cup in the second season but the board only ever said they were satisfied with my management?? , ive just won 2 trophys and yet they are only satisfied

That's true Daley, but that's why I asked if he was under pressure or not. I could understand him being under-pressure, because the pressure is on to get the team promoted again, but for them to be disappointed is going too far.

Ouch! Mind you IRL we do see the new manager come in and be given little or no time to change things around with little or no transfer budget, a few bad results and he's out. Now what Premiership teams have done that recently........

My situation isn't like that, though. I literally couldn't be doing any better at the moment.

I even battered my main promotion rivals 5-2 at their place!

My situation isn't like that, though. I literally couldn't be doing any better at the moment.

I even battered my main promotion rivals 5-2 at their place!

I know, sorry I was more referring to Nomis07 at Athletico. As has been said, you'll get it changed by keeping the results coming.

I think your assumption is spot on. In all likelihood, the game failed to recognise that the club's relegation in the previous season had nothing to do with you. It seems that the "Club Stature" confidence indicator is just displaying the generic 'you should be performing slightly better in your role as manager' message in a response to the club's recent relegation.

I would be slightly annoyed if I were in your shoes as well, but you can at least take comfort in the fact that this particular situation is most likely just a case of the poor/insufficient coding. You most likely would be given time to turn things around and judging from your early form, it should not be that hard for you to do so in a short space of time. :)

You also might want to send in your save game for SI to take a look at? This really should be brought up to their attention for them to avoid a repeat of such situations in FM 2010.

I also think it'S club stature. I don't know exactly at which point in time the game calculates the reputation loss Nürnberg has encountered due to relegation, but it may well be that that was after you've taken over. Now as the club stature is one of the things counting to the overall board satisfaction, you'll (erraneously) get the "credit" for the reputation loss, which fell under your reign although not your fault.

I don't think however that this will cost you the job. It can however be a deciding factor should form start to drop. By that time however you should be well in the relegation spots, wich will give you a board confidence boost anyways, so I wouldn't really wory about it just now.

And so it continues. Played four more matches tonight, four more wins. And still they feel I should be performing slightly better! Apparently my job is "stable", but I feel like I'll get sacked as soon as I dropped points. What could I possibly do better?

Can you have a look at your "club stature" section in confidence? As said before, I assume there's the issue. If that's the case, nothing you can do really as that's linked to club reputation which obviously won't go up until you're promoted. However, within the next couple of weeks the assessments of your league position etc should kick in and if you're doing well there then everything is fine. If you don't win promotion you're probably sacked anyways.

Firstly, the league confidence doesnt update until 10 games. So you should have no bother getting that quite high.

It is the club stature that'll be slightly nudging you down. Personally I think its a fantastic feature that rewards long-term managers, but I suppose it does have those slight issues with that - quite literally, the club has reduced slightly in stature since you took over, so they're unhappy about that. Raise it up again and it'll rise. Means if you take a team from non-league to Champions League, it'll max out and give you a lot of extra leeway and more patience, whereas if you just take Man United there's nowhere further they can go and you'll be judged by very fickle standards.

And so it continues. Played four more matches tonight, four more wins. And still they feel I should be performing slightly better! Apparently my job is "stable", but I feel like I'll get sacked as soon as I dropped points. What could I possibly do better?

You are already doing the best you can. Just ignore the board confidence for now as you should know that it is highly unlikely for you to be sacked at this stage in time. :thup:

I suppose I'm getting a bit carried away and paying too much attention to it. It's a bit like being told not to look down in that I just can't help but look! Hopefully they'll start to focus on the things I'm actually doing, but it is so frustrating when you're doing extremely well only to be told you should be doing better.

This isn't exactly FM related but kinda on the same lines, and mildly amusing.

Yesterday at work I was ripped a new one, for doing something on a job, I had been told not to do last year.

When I tried to explain it wasn't my fault, I was told its always an excuse with you.

I thought my excuse of not even living in the same hemisphere of the job never mind actually ever doing the job before, was a pretty good excuse IMO.

And as such I feel your pain...:D

I suppose I'm getting a bit carried away and paying too much attention to it. It's a bit like being told not to look down in that I just can't help but look! Hopefully they'll start to focus on the things I'm actually doing, but it is so frustrating when you're doing extremely well only to be told you should be doing better.

I feel your pain Mike7077, I also know that you will change the board's opinion of your performance by continuing your good results. Which I must say you should be congratulated on. What are your current stats? If you keep going like this you'll have people asking for your tactics soon.

I feel your pain Mike7077, I also know that you will change the board's opinion of your performance by continuing your good results. Which I must say you should be congratulated on. What are your current stats? If you keep going like this you'll have people asking for your tactics soon.

Thank you for your kind words! I don't deserve that much praise, though, because we're easily the best team in the division. Although, I suppose some credit must go to me for bringing in the right players.

It would be pointless for people to ask me for my tactics. Football is a very subjective game, and in my opinion no team uses the exact same tactics on a regular basis. I'm always tweaking here and there and even my formations vary depending on the opposition and their tactics. To be honest, I believe that the very fact it's possible to download or share uniform tactics that can make a team virtually unbeatable suggests a major flaw in the match engine. But that's just my opinion. :)

Thank you for your kind words! I don't deserve that much praise, though, because we're easily the best team in the division. Although, I suppose some credit must go to me for bringing in the right players.

It would be pointless for people to ask me for my tactics. Football is a very subjective game, and in my opinion no team uses the exact same tactics on a regular basis. I'm always tweaking here and there and even my formations vary depending on the opposition and their tactics. To be honest, I believe that the very fact it's possible to download or share uniform tactics that can make a team virtually unbeatable suggests a major flaw in the match engine. But that's just my opinion. :)

Well, we all know that it's never easy going to a relegated club and turning the fortunes around quickly and getting morale up so you are more than welcome.

Ah, so your a tinkerman. I happen to agree with you regarding tactics (although having said that I rarely change my formation unless the AI goes 4-2-4). I do however think that wwfan's TT&F is very useful and doesn't set out to create an unbeatable tactic so I do read that.

Archived