nacho Novo For Scotland

In the new patch Nacho Novo is able to play for Scotland and has been picked however in real life the scotland manager could not pick him because of an agreement between the home nations not to use foreign players?

Do yer research this fools keeping my player out the national team

Im sure they would, but due to the gentlemans agreement, he wont be playing for Scotland

The Scottish FA is close to securing an agreement to allow foreign-born players to represent Scotland. However, they must have at least five years schooling in the country to be available for selection for the national team. You can read more on this here.

The Scottish FA is close to securing an agreement to allow foreign-born players to represent Scotland. However, they must have at least five years schooling in the country to be available for selection for the national team. You can read more on this here.

I assume that would rule Nacho Novo out? :D

Sadly in the world of football these days, any nation can selected players who arent even born in that country.

I can understand if a player is representing a country of their birth, or a country where they have family members from that country. However some nations, mainly in Arab Kingdom, the amount of players from South America representing "their country" is laughable. Some nations, even Japan have 1-4 players who are from a different country and only have citizenship and/or have been in that country for a few years.

There should be an international rule that either you are born there, or a direct family member was born in that nation for you to be able to respesent that country in International football.

I thought this 'Gentlemans Agreement' was only regarding GB? So no English player will play for Scotland etc.

I'm probably wrong.

It applies to anyone with British nationality. That includes people who have gained citizenship by living in the UK for long enough, such as Nacho Novo, Carlo Cudicini or Mikel Arteta.

So theoretically, providing they don't get selected by their home nations beforehand, as a national coach in FM you could keep an eye on players who are close to accepting citizenship of your nation, therefore having the ability to select them once they are citizens.

Handy to note if managing a less fashionable nation that has a few good foreigners based in their league. :)

(Please don't take that last statement as a suggestion that Scotland is a "less fashionable" nation BTW :) )

• SI Staff

If George Burley really wanted to call up Nacho Novo then he could do it. All Novo needs is a British passport (which he was going to apply for last I heard) and he would be able to play for Scotland.

It might break the gentleman's agreement between the home nations but that is of no concern to FIFA.

im sure scotland would be happy with him...good player

I for one would hate it if Nacho Novo was selected for Scotland. I don't agree with the whole 'once a player gains the relevant passport' he is eligible to play for a certain country. Scotland have enough up and coming youngsters that could take that spot that Novo could potentially fill. A big :thdn: from me.

If George Burley really wanted to call up Nacho Novo then he could do it. All Novo needs is a British passport (which he was going to apply for last I heard) and he would be able to play for Scotland.

It might break the gentleman's agreement between the home nations but that is of no concern to FIFA.

Bilbao could sign a non-Basque player and it wouldn't concern FIFA either, but its not going to happen.

Bilbao could sign a non-Basque player and it wouldn't concern FIFA either, but its not going to happen.

I thought Bilbao signed young players, from anywhere, to be trained in their academy and thus "bypassing" the Basque rule as people brought up in the region will automatically be considered Basque as well. Even players with Basque ancestors, academies might be set up in Latin-America, will be considered. The rules are changing even for Bilbao.

I thought Bilbao signed young players, from anywhere, to be trained in their academy and thus "bypassing" the Basque rule as people brought up in the region will automatically be considered Basque as well. Even players with Basque ancestors, academies might be set up in Latin-America, will be considered. The rules are changing even for Bilbao.

You've missed the point. Even if that's the case, Bilbao still require an element of Basqueness to play for them. That isn't changing. Similarly, the gentleman's agreement between the Home Nations is a footballing fact. FIFA may well not care about, but if FM wants to be as realistic as possible, the gentleman's agreement needs to exist in the game and it needs to be adhered to.

By schooling... did you mean in football rather than in an actual school..?

The BBC article made it sound like Scotland wanted to call up people who had grown up in Scotland and were to all extents Scottish apart from the fact that they weren't born in Scotland nor had any Scottish family. (Say Italian family with a one year old kid moves to Scotland, kid spends entire life in Scotland going through Scottish schools then picked up by Scottish Football Academy at 20 something wants to represent Scotland Internationaly as feels he is Scottish but at the moment he's technical Italian and under the gentlemans agreement is underable to play for Scotland).

It's my understanding that getting rid of the gentlemans agreement totaly would mean anyone with a British passport could play for any Home nation, rather than needing family.

I'm not against allowing foreign born players to play for us (Scotland) since we have played and do play english born players, but Nacho Novo has got to be one of the most over-rated players ever. The only people who rate him are stupid wee ned huns who have no clue about football and I would hate to see him called up for Scotland.

I'm not against allowing foreign born players to play for us (Scotland) since we have played and do play english born players, but Nacho Novo has got to be one of the most over-rated players ever. The only people who rate him are stupid wee ned huns who have no clue about football and I would hate to see him called up for Scotland.

No need for any of that here thankyou. :thdn:

I do agree he's overrated though.

why have a gentlemans agreement seriously its not like novo is going to turn scotland into world beaters

They do not want to set an example. If Nacho Novo turns out for Scotland, the other home nations might also turn to naturalised citizens.

FIFA do care about it. The gentlemens agreeement is the only thing stopping FIFA from insiting on a GB team rather than the 4 home nations we have just now.

I don't get what you're trying to say. I thought FIFA didn't want to have a Great Britain team? Apparently Sepp Blatter threatened that having a Great Britain team at the 2012 Olympics would jeopardise the status of the home nations.

I am against it, if this Gentleman's agreement did not exist, England could have a team made up of Foreigners, we would be seeing quite a few players like (forgive me if i get any wrong) Fabregas, Arteta, Almunia, and many other non english players who have spent lots of time playing in england without making an appearance for their home nations. (i am unsure about fabregas, he was brought to arsenal whaen he was 15/16?)

If this happened, any international tournaments would be pointless, as any national squad could contain mostly players who are not native to the country they are representing, and should any nation win the tournament, it will not be as special.

Stevie, this has already happened. At the last World Cup there were 9 Brazilians playing who weren't playing for Brazil. We also almost had the ludicrous situation of two brothers playing against each other (Holland tried to rush through Solomon Kalou's citizenship, which would have seen him play against his brother in the Ivory Coast team). As for Fabregas, he's already been capped by Spain, so he's precluded for obvious reasons. The game reflects reality fairly well, but the gentlemen's agreement between the home nations should probably be included.

Stevie, this has already happened. At the last World Cup there were 9 Brazilians playing who weren't playing for Brazil. We also almost had the ludicrous situation of two brothers playing against each other (Holland tried to rush through Solomon Kalou's citizenship, which would have seen him play against his brother in the Ivory Coast team). As for Fabregas, he's already been capped by Spain, so he's precluded for obvious reasons. The game reflects reality fairly well, but the gentlemen's agreement between the home nations should probably be included.

Ah well, the brazilians get everywhere anyway, how old was fabregas when he got his first cap?

If he wasnt capped by the time he turns 21, he could very well have played for England.

But my previous post was about the home nations (i know it appeared to be about the world in general) and im backing the gentleman's agreement, but if it didnt exist, i imagine there would be no difference to the Irish and Welsh teams.

Was there not a Brazilian playing for Poland, who had a question mark against his eligibility, in the Euros? Something to do with the government, pushing his clearance in order to help the team.

Gurreiro (spelling) plays for Legia Warsaw, ironically polands best player in the tournament IMO, apart from maybe Boruc

Was there not a Brazilian playing for Poland, who had a question mark against his eligibility, in the Euros? Something to do with the government, pushing his clearance in order to help the team.

Yeah, the Polish government pushed his citizenship through so he could play for them.

FIFA do care about it. The gentlemens agreeement is the only thing stopping FIFA from insiting on a GB team rather than the 4 home nations we have just now.

This is simply not true. Currently the FIFA executive is divided into 8 'votes'. That means that every FIFA recognised nation has a share of a vote. For example Italy might have a quarter of a vote and Brazil has a fifth. (Those figures were made up to illustrate my point).

The main issue though is that England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have a full vote each. Thus taking up half the voting rights between them! The only way this can be changed is via a vote and in the event of a hung vote (which IMO is very likely) the current system stays in place.

If the four home countries got together to field a GB team in the Olympics then there would be a lot of pressure on them to give up their current voting positions and have 1 vote between them rather than 1 vote each. The gentlemans agreement has nothing to do with it, as it is an agreement between the 4 home nations and nothing to do with FIFA.

As a Rangers season ticket holder, I find highly offensive your usage of the word 'H***' in such a derogatory manner and have reported you to the moderators.

So if/when you get an infraction, you know who reported you.

:thup:

I have just read your comments. I am Rangers supporter and I do personally think he is a fairly good player, although i do not wish to be referred to as a stupid wee ned hun. I take offence at what you say and would ask you to keep those type of comments for other websites, where your obvious prejudices can be tolerated.

I have just read your comments. I am Rangers supporter and I do personally think he is a fairly good player, although i do not wish to be referred to as a stupid wee ned hun. I take offence at what you say and would ask you to keep those type of comments for other websites, where your obvious prejudices can be tolerated.

I am not scottish, and i do not understand the above phrase.

What does it mean and why is it offensive?

I am sorry but I am not going to elaborate further here as it just gives the offending post more publicity. I would rather the original discussion take centre stage.

ned is a derogatory term and means much the same as chav.

Hun is a term usually used by Celtic supporters when refering to Rangers fans. It also can be seen as derogatory. Much like rangers fans calling Celtic fans 'Tims'. Personally I find neither term offensive as originally Hun was used by both sides of the Old Firm to describe the other team. Eventually it sort of became accepted by other Scottish teams as a term to use when refering to Rangers.

I can understand why Rangers fans might not like it, but it certainly isn't the most offensive term I can think of.

The Celtic-Rangers rivalry is one of the nastiest things in football. I've never known threads get derailed here by any other rivalry. The way the two sets of "fans" talk about each other is despicable and I sometimes wonder if football could do without the Old Firm.

The Celtic-Rangers rivalry is one of the nastiest things in football. I've never known threads get derailed here by any other rivalry. The way the two sets of "fans" talk about each other is despicable and I sometimes wonder if football could do without the Old Firm.

With regards to this thread, there have been NO comments from any Rangers fans which could be described as even 'mildly despicable'!!!

I feel I am perfectly within my rights to report, and complain about any post which I find offensive.

I don't feel this gives you an invitation to generalise and 'tar us all with the same brush'.

Archived