FM2009 FAQ - Updated for 9.3.0

Most of this was previously posted by CaptainPlanet - so thanks to him. I have updated it for FM09.3.0, and will continue to add the most frequently asked questions into this thread.

If your question isn't answered below, please use the search function on the forum before posting a new thread. You can also find a copy of the forum rules here.

We also have a FM Wiki page up, which acts as a useful guide to most areas of the game. It has been constructed by our loyal and knowledgeable regular users, so there are a whole bunch of useful tips and information. You can find it here, with the thread for it here.

Where can I get the latest patch?

Details on where to get the patch, and the changes within are here.

I want to discuss the latest patch, provide feedback and give my experiences!

While it is tempting to start a new thread, please use the existing Feedback thread, unless it is about a specific issue that has not already got a thread for it.

I'm forced into TV View or Classic View every match and I don't want to be! How can I stop this?

Before kickoff there is a 'View Match' option in the action buttons. Simply select which view you wish to start the match in. Please note that this option is not present on some custom skins.

Why have my coach star ratings dropped?

Information on this is available in this thread.

I'm getting a lot of injuries. Why?!

This thread discusses the injuries in FM09 9.3.0.

I don't agree with the data in the game! I have issues with player stats, teams and factual information!

Please do not post in this forum. There should be a relevant thread in the Data Issues Forum. Most major teams have their own thread, as do countries etc. Make sure you have a look before posting, there is a good chance it may have been brought up already.

I'm having technical problems running Football Manager 2009

Check the Known Issues and Solutions thread. This thread contains a lot of information about fixing the most common types of error message you may encounter.

Is my PC good enough to run Football Manager 2009?

The minimum system specs are:

Mac:

The game is currently only being supported on Intel Mac's only, and the minimum requirements are - OSX 10.5.5, Nvidia Geforce 7300 / ATI X1600 Radeon. 1GB RAM.

PC:

OS - Windows Vista or XP

Processor Speed - Vista - 2.0GHz, XP - 1.4GHz Memory - Vista - 1GB, XP - 512MB Videocard - 128MB Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater.

More RAM is recommended for a smoother gameplay and faster load.

Do I have to use Steam to authenticate/install?

No, Steam is just one method of authenticating the game and/or buying the game. You do not have to use it if you don't want to.

I've installed though Steam, do I have to run the game through Steam each time I want to play?

No you don't, you can create a shortcut to Football Manager 2009 without having to use Steam. Go to:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\

and right click the fm.exe file and choose "send to desktop (create shortcut)"

Where is the database editor?

If you installed or authenticated your game through Steam, you will find the editor at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

if you didn't use Steam at all it will be at:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

I have found something that I think is a bug, what do I do?

Search the forums to see if it has been raised before (try a couple of different terms to make sure), if not then post in the bugs forum with some evidence (screenshots, .pkm match files or saved game) you can find out information how to upload evidence to the FTP server here

There is a lack of squad harmony, why is this and how do I solve it?

There are suggestions and hints and tips in this thread. There are many other threads that have covered this issue, do a search for "squad harmony" and you'll find the advice you need.

I'm finding the game too hard!

Check out the Tactics & Training Forum for some helpful advice on where you might be going wrong

I want suggestions on who to buy and to discuss players and staff in the game"

Check out the Good Player & Team Guide forum for some advice on recommend purchases

I want to play the game online or over a network with my friends!

Hope over to our FM Online/Network Forum. Your questions should already be answered in existing threads, so search before posting.

I have ideas on how to improve the game in the future!

Feel free to post constructive suggestions in the Wishlist thread.

Is this cheating?

You play the game how you want, everyone plays by different rules!

When will my Stadium be expanded?

It could be provided you have a decent amount of money in the bank. See here for our discussion including some thoughts from SI.

How do I Post a Screenshot?

* While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

* Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

* Save the file as a JPEG

* Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket

* Post the direct Url to the image here.

How do I transfer my saved game to another computer?

Useful thread here explaining what you need to transfer

Struggling with Tactics?

Tactical Theorems and Frameworks : A thread in which some of the best tacticians around explain how to create a successful tactic for your side. Everything is covered here, and there are 72 tactics available to download from the opening post.

The Sheffield United Project : Cleon, managing, surprise surprise, Sheffield United, shows you how to set up a tactic, and then, more importantly, how to tweak it from match to match. He wins promotion from the Championship as Champions, and is top of the Premier League after 18 matches when the project ends. Tweaking tactics will be much easier with his help.

Wolfsong's team talk guide was originally written for FM08, but it works just as well with the version either side of it. Particularly useful with half time team talks and inspiring individual players.

I'm bored/I want a new challenge!

Then try CSE : The Challenges, Sign Ups and Experiments forum. Here are some of the better known challenges:

dafuge's challenge : Holiday for a season, and take over one of the clubs promoted into the Blue Square North/South. Get as far as you can- the Ultimate Aim is the World Club Championship and Premier League title!

Gundo's challenge : Exactly the same as dafuge's challenge, except for one detail- you take over a side promoted into the lowest league of a small European nation. This is even harder, as players are more likely to come to England than to Serbia...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any suggestions as to anything else that should be in this FAQ, please post in this thread. Do not go off-topic here, any off-topic posts will be deleted. Cheers.

Just a suggestion for screenshots, a quicker way of doing this

1. While in FM, hold the Alt button, and press F9 (Warning, pressing it twice makes two screenshots)

2. If this is your first time using this feature, a new folder in your Football Manager is made, called Screenshots, it's location is here: C:\Users\(Name of your user account)\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\screenshots (This is on Vista, it could differ on Mac's and XP in regards to where the file is.

3. Go to an image hosting website such as Imageshack, Photoshop and Tinypic (Note: To keep your pictures organised, especially for pictures to do with challenges, it could be recommended that you register for free with the site, and create an album)

4. Once uploaded, copy the direct URL, and post it in the relevant place

Good idea Skorp, but don't you think we are now back to the situation we had before where there are too many stickies?

By the looks of some of them there should be a couple dropping off soon... if it's deemed excessive the other mods can always un-sticky this one.

Edit: Actually, just realised the new rules update and this update kind of invalidates Neji's one, so I will unsticky that for now.

By the looks of some of them there should be a couple dropping off soon... if it's deemed excessive the other mods can always un-sticky this one.

Edit: Actually, just realised the new rules update and this update kind of invalidates Neji's one, so I will unsticky that for now.

You snuck in and edited that just as I clicked reply :p

I was about to say that Neji's one is sorta redundant now, plus, I know Miles would probably disagree, but maybe the War Child Heroes one has run it's course now too?

*EDIT* Forgot my video card.

Out of curiosity. Will it run on my computer? I remember I played the demo, but I can't remember how well it ran, I know it did run.

My specs:

Windows XP

eMachines

T6216

AMD Athlon 64 Processor

3200+

2.01 GHz, 384 MB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 6100

I actually have 512 MB of RAM but it's not registering it when I go to the properties on My Computer, but System Information reads it. I reckon it may not work, so I should just pass on it?

PC:

OS - Windows Vista or XP

Processor Speed - Vista - 2.0GHz, XP - 1.4GHz Memory - Vista - 1GB, XP - 512MB Videocard - 128MB Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater.

Did you read this up in the OP?

And yes, your computer will run FM.

Hey guys , can anyone answer me why in the latest update, the 2 a-league teams that are joining at the start of the 2009 season are not added when the game gets to that point. The teams are in the game, and the players that they have signed will be transfered to the clubs????

Hey guys , can anyone answer me why in the latest update, the 2 a-league teams that are joining at the start of the 2009 season are not added when the game gets to that point. The teams are in the game, and the players that they have signed will be transfered to the clubs????

You are best off asking this in the relevant thread in the Data Issues forum :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

can you explain how i apply a patch to my laptop which is offline.

At the moment Im downloading the patch with Rapidshare.

Can you give me a step by step guide on how to install this.

I'll save it to my memory stick and transfer to my laptop but i just need a guide once its there please.

I tried to apply the patch i downloaded wtih BitTorrent. But everytime i tried to open it, it would ask which file i wanted to open it with...

Can you please advise

Hi,

can you explain how i apply a patch to my laptop which is offline.

At the moment Im downloading the patch with Rapidshare.

Can you give me a step by step guide on how to install this.

I'll save it to my memory stick and transfer to my laptop but i just need a guide once its there please.

I tried to apply the patch i downloaded wtih BitTorrent. But everytime i tried to open it, it would ask which file i wanted to open it with...

Can you please advise

Just run the installer when it's finished downloading.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the records thread should be mentioned in the OP?

Maybe a link to the advanced search function, with a guide on how to use it and what it can do. I'm under the impression that a load of people don't realize just how useful it can be.

Maybe a link to the advanced search function, with a guide on how to use it and what it can do. I'm under the impression that a load of people don't realize just how useful it can be.

Top shout, too many people say "I did a search but couldn't find anything" If there is a quick, simple thing to say to use advanced search and what difference the options make, I think it would put a dent in these sort of things

Top shout, too many people say "I did a search but couldn't find anything" If there is a quick, simple thing to say to use advanced search and what difference the options make, I think it would put a dent in these sort of things

Exactly, the majority of users here don't know half of the things they can do to find what they want. Case and point - every time I've mentioned someone to use the advanced function to find a particular user's thread making history, they don't have the first clue what I'm talking about! If there's any trouble making a search guide, don't hesisitate to ask me. I'm a master of it by now :D

Search Guide

I've done a visual aid, because I felt it would be easier to explain that way & would take up less space in the OP. I've also saved the text to it on my computer, so I can put that up no bother if it's felt that'd be better than the picture. Just something I did up in about ten minutes, so there's no doubt that I've probably made a few obvious mistakes & left out a few things, so feel free to point them out.

Search Guide

I've done a visual aid, because I felt it would be easier to explain that way & would take up less space in the OP. I've also saved the text to it on my computer, so I can put that up no bother if it's felt that'd be better than the picture. Just something I did up in about ten minutes, so there's no doubt that I've probably made a few obvious mistakes & left out a few things, so feel free to point them out.

That looks good Alan, although one thing I think would make a difference to it, is if the instructive text was a different colour to the rest, it would be clearer. Other than that, :thup:

That looks good Alan, although one thing I think would make a difference to it, is if the instructive text was a different colour to the rest, it would be clearer. Other than that, :thup:

I know what you mean. I had a fight with my photoshop trying to change the text colour but I couldn't figure it out :o

Will try again whenever I have time I suppose.

I know what you mean. I had a fight with my photoshop trying to change the text colour but I couldn't figure it out :o

Will try again whenever I have time I suppose.

If you aint got time today, I spect I've got a spare block sometime later this morning and can give it a crack, unless you want to do it?

If you aint got time today, I spect I've got a spare block sometime later this morning and can give it a crack, unless you want to do it?
Go ahead, I've no time to do it until the weekend by the looks of it, so you can give it a go if you like :thup:

I got bored with what I was supposed to be doing and had a bash at doing this. Essentially, I just copied what you put on yours Alan but changed some of the words around a bit, made them red and made some of the more important bits bold. Let me know if it is crap or if I missed something

My attempt at an advanced search guide

Sorry for the double post BTW, figured if I just edited my previous post, no one would notice

I got bored with what I was supposed to be doing and had a bash at doing this. Essentially, I just copied what you put on yours Alan but changed some of the words around a bit, made them red and made some of the more important bits bold. Let me know if it is crap or if I missed something

My attempt at an advanced search guide

Sorry for the double post BTW, figured if I just edited my previous post, no one would notice

Good job Dean :thup:

Sorry if this is covered anywhere else, but I've spent ages looking and can't find it, plus the new Mac Mini is only a month or so old.

I had the game running on a PC without any trouble, but I've just bought the Mac Mini. The system requirement all seem to be more than met by the specifications of this. From what I've read, it should be easier to get the game working on a Mac anyway.

The disc is recognised and installs seemingly without problems. But when clicking on the FM icon to open the game, nothing happens. No error messages, just nothing. I've reinstalled, tried to open it in different ways, tried to add the patches, but I can't get it to open.

Any help on this would be really appreciated as I'll consider sending the Mac Mini back if it can't even run this game.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry if this is covered anywhere else, but I've spent ages looking and can't find it, plus the new Mac Mini is only a month or so old.

I had the game running on a PC without any trouble, but I've just bought the Mac Mini. The system requirement all seem to be more than met by the specifications of this. From what I've read, it should be easier to get the game working on a Mac anyway.

The disc is recognised and installs seemingly without problems. But when clicking on the FM icon to open the game, nothing happens. No error messages, just nothing. I've reinstalled, tried to open it in different ways, tried to add the patches, but I can't get it to open.

Any help on this would be really appreciated as I'll consider sending the Mac Mini back if it can't even run this game.

Thanks for any help.

What is the screen resolution of your laptop?

Try patching up.

aup,

just wondering if anybody can help me set-up a network game for me and my friend without using hamachi

anybody know how to do it?

i have been told to get a static IP but i dont know how to get one of the either

anybody help?

thanks

It works for me mate. Go onto the link that says FM 2009 v9.3.0 - Mac, and Rapidshare will open. Go down a bit on the page and there is a table. On the left side it is premium members, on the right side it is free. Click on the link in the bottom right of the table. Wait for it to load. Save the file. Install it.

I can only assume that Rapidshare was down for a while.

hey

can someone say how good this laptop is in order to run a VERY FAST game with 10+ selected competitions with large database.

CPU: intel 5800 2.00 GHz

4 GB RAM ddr2

320 GB HDD

9300GS 256mb nvidia

17" laptop

Ok when i go to online activation i enter my code, to activate it on my pc (it's already activated on Laptop) and when it goes through its stages of activating jst before it finishes a message will come up sayin 'FM 09 has stopped working, we will try and find a soluton' something like that and it never does and im near certain it's a problem with windows more than fm so if u can find my a solution, that would be fantastic, thank you

Archived