Patch 9.3 - How do I use the scoring from corners "feature"?

Hi all,

So is this easy scoring from corners "feature" back in the latest patch? I have heard rumbles browsing a few threads that it is.

If so, how do I exploit it for my own gain? Is it as simple as telling my best aerial player to challenge the GK? Or do I need to do anything else?

Cheers in advance

It's not quite as effective as on FM08, but it'll still get you a few goals. I have my striker set to challenge keeper instead of my CB as I don't like to use it in its most effective manner. He gets maybe 6 or 7 a season that way and I don't feel dirty and it seems pretty realistic. I consider it an ME exploit and therefore a cheat, but it's up to you - it's your game.

I've tinkered with the old FM08 corner routine and find it doesn't work anywhere near the same. I actually find these days just leaving the settings "mixed" for the taker and a more normal setup has produced more goals for me.

I don't see this as a feature, tbh, but a realistic reflection (others will disagree, but it's subjective and I can only go on what I see in my game).

In 9.2, I set my corner tactics so someone challenged the keeper, someone went for flick-ons, someone else attacked the back post and others were just forward or lurking on the edge of the box. Pretty standard stuff that you see in RL footie all the time. I also used lefties from the right and vice versa with corners set to mixed. I scored maybe one corner per season, because opponents could mark like internationals despite being in Scottish 2/3 and then English League One.

In 9.3, the same tactics have seen me score 3 goals from corners in 11 games. Most corners still come to nothing, but sometimes someone will slip a marker and the shot/header will go in. I also see more chances and goals against come from corners, which is OK because when I've checked the defending sides player stats, the attributes make it make sense. I don't get someone with heading, tackling and marking ability of 7 suddenly looking like John Terry anymore, but at the same time nor do I get them being so useless that my ageing, slow striker can always slip away and get an easy chance.

From what I've seen, IMO, the balance is just about OK.

Archived