Sod's Law and Terrible Timing

I've just been offered the Barcelona job after 9 long seasons of hard work, despite this i'm really miffed.

I've always wanted to get offered one of the top jobs and had applied for Barcelona, Real and Milan about 3 times each, always getting turned down for someone of lesser ability.

I spent 7 seasons at FC Bayern winning 14 trophies before moving on to pastures new with a Spurs side who had just finished 16th under the guidance of Michael Laudrup. They had a decent budget and good enough players to challenge the top 4 within 3 seasons so I was looking forward to the challenge.

First season I finish 6th but have a terrible defensive record, European qualification was the aim and some new signings will pave the way for league success in years to come. I sign new CB's and get rid of some dead wood and manage a very good 2nd place and automatic CL qualification. I'm looking forward to next season and the possibility of winning Spurs first league title in decades, then Barcelona approach me icon_frown.gif

Don't get me wrong, i'm overjoyed to be offered one of the jobs i've really wanted since I started this career game, but i'm just really disappointed that I may have to leave Spurs. I don't want to turn Barca down, because given past experience it's a tough enough job to get, despite continued success, but I don't want to walk out on Spurs without settling my own personal challenge.

Anyways I didn't do my club loyalty any good and I headed for the cash, sand and tapas. Hope i've made the right decision and just wondering if any of you have had any tough decisions to make about your own future in FM08?

I've just been offered the Barcelona job after 9 long seasons of hard work, despite this i'm really miffed.

I've always wanted to get offered one of the top jobs and had applied for Barcelona, Real and Milan about 3 times each, always getting turned down for someone of lesser ability.

I spent 7 seasons at FC Bayern winning 14 trophies before moving on to pastures new with a Spurs side who had just finished 16th under the guidance of Michael Laudrup. They had a decent budget and good enough players to challenge the top 4 within 3 seasons so I was looking forward to the challenge.

First season I finish 6th but have a terrible defensive record, European qualification was the aim and some new signings will pave the way for league success in years to come. I sign new CB's and get rid of some dead wood and manage a very good 2nd place and automatic CL qualification. I'm looking forward to next season and the possibility of winning Spurs first league title in decades, then Barcelona approach me icon_frown.gif

Don't get me wrong, i'm overjoyed to be offered one of the jobs i've really wanted since I started this career game, but i'm just really disappointed that I may have to leave Spurs. I don't want to turn Barca down, because given past experience it's a tough enough job to get, despite continued success, but I don't want to walk out on Spurs without settling my own personal challenge.

Anyways I didn't do my club loyalty any good and I headed for the cash, sand and tapas. Hope i've made the right decision and just wondering if any of you have had any tough decisions to make about your own future in FM08?

Whenever this happens to me and I'm really not sure I want to leave, I save my game, then accept the job. Then I save my game again but under a new file name. That way if I get bored of my new club I can return to the previous save and turn them down.

A bit divergent from the spirit of the game, but hey. I've still never gone back to a previous save.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Whenever this happens to me and I'm really not sure I want to leave, I save my game, then accept the job. Then I save my game again but under a new file name. That way if I get bored of my new club I can return to the previous save and turn them down.

A bit divergent from the spirit of the game, but hey. I've still never gone back to a previous save. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that last time, about 5 years into my FC Bayern save I went to Roma and absolutely hated managing them so went back to my Bayern save.

I did it this time too, so I still have the Spurs save but it just doesn't feel right to flit about like that.

This hasn't happened to me on '08 but on '07 I was managing Darligton and having made it to The Championship I'd stagnated somewhat and was constantly in the bottom half of the table. Around that time Sevilla offered me the job as their manager. They had a very aged squad and were struggling but had a decent amount of cash and plenty of potential.

I spent ages deciding what to do, on the one hand I had enjoyed getting Darlington this far and it had always been my goal to get them to the Premier League. But on the other hand I was stuck in a bit of a rut with them and the Sevilla job seemed like a good opportunity to take control of a team that had real potential.

In the end I took the Sevilla job, but not before saving my game to another file so that I could go back to the Darlington team and carry on if I wanted. I did very well in Sevilla and after a couple of seasons I was faced with another dilemma. This time it was Inter that had come knocking. By thins time I'd built a good squad with Sevilla and we were in the chamions league. But at the same time Inter were offering me a £200m transfer budget so I couldn't really say no.

the best thing t do is two saves, but then its not really a career game which is the ones i like, having to live with every decsion you malke, i know its only a game and this is ott but its the way i like to play, then you can alwasy sa what if? rather than just loading it up and going through the same seson you already played but with a different team.

I would be happy knowing I'd left Spurs flying high. Whereas if I were chopper, although i would have went to Sevilla aswell, I would have felt bad for leaving Darlington in no-man's land with relegation a possibility if things don't turn around. And if you were successful with Spur's there's always the possibility they'll let you do a Keegan and return a few years down the line.

I had similar...

My first year I took over the Wolves in the Coca cola champ. The team were ok, nothing special..bought some defensive players, young up and comers, new tactics...up until the last 10 games of the year we were running 3rd. What followed was 10 straight draws...Nooooooo!!

Anyway we ended up 7th. For the past 2 months Liverpool were throwing my name around as a replacement to their coach. I expressed in the papers an interest in joining. At the end of the year I started cleaning out the rubbish and looking to improve what I had left, and with one month before friendlies started, recently relegated Reading offered me a job. Their roster surpassed what I had, their transfer was about $15mil, wages were triple what Wolves had..... what do I do?? Do I continue plodding along with Wolves or is this my chance to get to the Premier league quicker?? I thought about it like I would IRL. Saved it as Wolves, took the job with Reading and started a new save. We are first in the league by 10 points coming into February, in the semi of the FA cup against Liverpool...we will go to the big show next year. I am slready making plans for players to poach so we can compete. When I have accomplished my goal of winning all the titles I will reload Wolves and see if I can do it with them... in an alternate timeline.

Archived