Match engine differences between FM and FMH (and within the CM/FM series)

I've played CM/FM since CM 93/94, the versions I've played the most must be CM 93/94, CM2 and CM 01/02.

I think I read in PC Zone (or Gamespot?) regarding the match engine, that from a certain version every pass was simulated or something like that.

Having less time to spend on playing FM these days I was (and am) excited about the FMH series which is easier to pick up and play for an hour or two.

However, for me it is important that the match engine is not made too simple in the work of simplifying the game as a whole. I played the original FMH but found it to be a lot easier than the PC version, which made me suspicious as to what degree the game hade been simplified. I'm just about to pre-order the 08-version hoping that this is a bit more complex (which judging from what I've read, it will be).

It would be interesting to know how the match engine differs between FMH and FM; how has it been simplified, what aspects are removed from it? Also, it would be interesting to know how the match engine has changed in the PC game over the years, like how much was simulated for a certain version, at which version was this and that introduced, etc?

Don't know if it's possible for SI to split the evolution of the engine in milestones like this, but it would be fun and interesting to know. icon_smile.gif

I've played CM/FM since CM 93/94, the versions I've played the most must be CM 93/94, CM2 and CM 01/02.

I think I read in PC Zone (or Gamespot?) regarding the match engine, that from a certain version every pass was simulated or something like that.

Having less time to spend on playing FM these days I was (and am) excited about the FMH series which is easier to pick up and play for an hour or two.

However, for me it is important that the match engine is not made too simple in the work of simplifying the game as a whole. I played the original FMH but found it to be a lot easier than the PC version, which made me suspicious as to what degree the game hade been simplified. I'm just about to pre-order the 08-version hoping that this is a bit more complex (which judging from what I've read, it will be).

It would be interesting to know how the match engine differs between FMH and FM; how has it been simplified, what aspects are removed from it? Also, it would be interesting to know how the match engine has changed in the PC game over the years, like how much was simulated for a certain version, at which version was this and that introduced, etc?

Don't know if it's possible for SI to split the evolution of the engine in milestones like this, but it would be fun and interesting to know. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

The match engine in FMH is an evolution of the one which was present in CM01-02.

The main difference between it and the one in FM PC is the 'granularity' of the simulation - that is where FM PC simulates things down to a very fine granularity (ie. 1/8th second and less than an inch) the FMH one uses a slightly larger granularity of measurement.

(To put it in non-geeky terms)

So basically yes every pass, run etc. is properly simulated its just that where FM PC knows exactly which blade of grass a players boot is placed upon FMH only knows that he's standing in the center circle.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Fascinating info Marc. I would say that the FMH engine uses more than a 'slightly' larger granularity though, if you are comparing the PC game knowing which blade of grass a player is on to the PSP game only knowing he's in the centre circle!

It does explain the exceedingly odd passes my players sometimes seem to make, the right back swinging it right to the left back and suchlike...

Archived