Hyundai A-League Question

You can't buy players from other A-League teams in the first two or three seasons then the rules change and you can. You can buy players on bosman style free transfers from other A-League teams though.

The rule was designed to stop the richer teams dominating the league in its infancy, and has worked largly.

And so stupid as that. They want to be different, but is not with this they can rise.

Its not actually very stupid as the talent pool the A-League had to draw from in the first few years was very small, especially talented Australians. This rule has stopped SYdney and Melbourne just buying all the top Australian players and dominating the league, which would have put people off watching the league. As the other sports over here, NRL, AFL and Super 14 are leagues that are not dominated by one team.

Crpls doesn't really mean alot, its very hard to say a team dominates a league because they won it twice, this rule works very well, as a Sydney FC member we have alot more money and resources then other teams but this is keeping the league relatively even, do you watch my A-League?

do you watch my A-League?

Hahahaa Claimed the League as his own:P

The good thing about the A-League on FM 09 is the fact that anyone can pretty much win it due to this rule...

I haven't made it up to 2010 as of yet (keep losing interest) so i haven't tried it without this rule yet..

but I will no doubt be buying the best players from within the league to make it unfair:P

I didn't mean that they dominate, just that they won the league a second straight time anyway.

no they didn't, they won their second title, not second in a row because Newcastle won it last season

lol, only time you will hear won and Newcastle near something, but again, the system works great, don't really see why someone who doesn't follow the A-League would comment on dominance of a team due to something they didn't even do, ie win back to back when they didn't!

I watched the final this morning and thought they said Melbourne had won it last year too. Again, I wasn't commenting on the dominance, rule itself or anything like that, I just made a comment about Melbourne winning it two years in a row. Eesh.

its just the context, someone says "it stops dominance" and then you comment on Melbourne winning back to back anyway, came across as though you were saying that it doesn't work. Doesn't really matter, neither of the teams in the grand final last year made it this year, in fact the team that won last year came last this year! Its a good rule and leaves a very open competition. I think the threads done now

its just the context, someone says "it stops dominance" and then you comment on Melbourne winning back to back anyway, came across as though you were saying that it doesn't work. Doesn't really matter, neither of the teams in the grand final last year made it this year, in fact the team that won last year came last this year! Its a good rule and leaves a very open competition. I think the threads done now

That's due to the salary cap, rather than this rule. I think the transfer rule was made so teams could have every chance to keep their players without Melbourne or Sydney buying them.

i disagree, with the salary cap it would be quite easy for teams to take other players from the same division, keeping in mind the maquee doesn'y count towards it. Wages are not that high and the salary cap does allow for alot of players on the books. Stopping players moving like this is precisely the reason this rule was brought it, it was all announced when the A-League started, i stand by this being the reason and not much, if anything at all to do with salary cap

It's a fairly silly rule though, say Player X is on a 3 year contract at Club Y and after a year decides he wants to leave the club. He's going to have to move away from the A-League to do so. It's not exactly a great way to keep talent in the league, although I believe a lot of players are only on 1 year contracts and we see quite a lot of free transfers going on which obviously solves the problem I already bought up.

Bit of a pointless post really :D

lol, only time you will hear won and Newcastle near something, but again, the system works great, don't really see why someone who doesn't follow the A-League would comment on dominance of a team due to something they didn't even do, ie win back to back when they didn't!

Easily the best recruiting they have ever accomplished these last few weeks. Watch them tear the A-League up next season (I hope:D)

mate im sure they will, i have been watching, i mean its a disgrace they came last this year the way they played, certainly didnt deserve it! I wasn't taking the mick out of them, was directed at the Toons

They deserved everything they got. Terrible performances on the pitch IMO. Anyway, back to my hole:D

It's a fairly silly rule though, say Player X is on a 3 year contract at Club Y and after a year decides he wants to leave the club. He's going to have to move away from the A-League to do so. It's not exactly a great way to keep talent in the league, although I believe a lot of players are only on 1 year contracts and we see quite a lot of free transfers going on which obviously solves the problem I already bought up.

Bit of a pointless post really :D

In this case, maybe players naturally negotiate shorter term contracts, because they are free to switch to ither A-League Clubs when their contract expires

its a good league but it will never get to the same intensity as the NRL in Aus.

Do they do SOO In A-League?

I can't wait for the NRL to start its the Warriors year this year...:eek:

I agree the A-League is a good league for such a new venture but am unsure if expanding is the right thing to do as it is going to dilute the talent pool still further.

its a good league but it will never get to the same intensity as the NRL in Aus.

Thats not true tbh. The NRL saw diminishing crowds throughout last season and they are desperatley trying to stop the leagues best players moving to overseas league and union clubs that have endless amounts of cash compared to the aussie clubs.

On the other hand the crowds at the a-league have been increasing ever since its inception and seeing as Australia look set to qualify for the 2010 world cup the sport will gain an extra boost as it did after the 2006 world cup. I'd say it wouldn't be too long before the a-league is more popular and it would already be more popular if the games were on free tv.

Yes I think so, but Chippers isn't coming. And Hernandez will probably leave.

I don't mean to sound rude but who cares? I honestly think Culina and Fowler would draw bigger crowds by themselves than Hernandez. I didn't even know who he was before he came to the a-league. One thing is for sure i'll be going to watch north queensland and gold coast next season when they come to sydney.

To help the a-league grow more all the clubs need to do what farina is doing at roar. He's giving heaps of youngsters a go and they all played well. Sydney were a mess over the past season but in their final game kossie played a bunch of his youngsters and sydney looked rejuvinated.

EDIT: Just a bit off topic.

Intensity? NRL? how many NRL and A-League games have you been to in the last couple of years? I sit in the cove for Sydney FC and you wont get a more intense atmosphere, id even say not even in origin! Who do you follow in both leagues? it might explain something!

How off topic has this thread gotten? :D

It's an interesting debate about the intesity levels, I think football fans tend to generate a better atmosphere than rugby fans in general, probably doesn't help that the rugby fans all sit together not as seperate groups of fans. (at least I think I'm right saying that)

Having said that I'd rather watch NRL than A-League, I just can't bear the horrible quality of the A-League.

Archived