How much longer until professional?

I took over Lausanne-Sport in the Swiss Challenge League. We were promoted in my first season, and are now in our third season in the top division (Super League). We finished fifth last year, played two rounds in the UEFA Cup. I have 15 staff who, along with myself, are all on full time contracts. All of the playing staff (except those on youth contracts) are on full time contracts. I got a transfer budget of 1.5m pounds at the start of the current season, and currently have 3.8m in the bank, which would be higher had I not spent 600k on players. We also have "top training facilities."

Yet, we're still listed as semi-professional. By any definition, we are already professional. I mean what kind of semi-professional club spends/has this kind of money? This designation is costing us the signatures of some very good players.

What else does it take?

Thanks

I'd like someone to answer this too. It's been an issue on and off in my games on FM for several years now, especially when managing abroad.

It seems to just decide when you turn professional at random, almost. Have you won any major competitions, did you get promoted by coming second or did you win the Challenge League? Possibly it could be something to do with that, but I'm not sure.

im not sure, are they allowed to turn professional as i know some teams are hard coded to semi-pro only etc due the clubs stance on tradition etc. Would have thought you should be pro by now

Yes, that's a point. The only team I know of who will always be amateur/semi-pro is Queen of the South in Scotland though.

I'm keeping an eye on this with Altrincham in the BSP.

Start of the season and I've managed to get rid of all my existing staff & players, signing everyone on professional contracts. The only person not on a professional contract is my managerial "self". It's possible it could be linked to that, but I'll have to wait until I gain promotion to the Football League (very likely) and am up for contract renewal.

Have you won any major competitions, did you get promoted by coming second or did you win the Challenge League? Possibly it could be something to do with that, but I'm not sure.

We didn't win the Challenge League, we came in second and won the playoff (for those who don't know, in Switzerland the 2nd placed team in the Challenge League plays the second bottom team in the Super League over two legs. If the Super League team wins they stay up, if the Challenge League team wins they go up and the other one is relegated).

But we've been in the Super League for three seasons now, running on four this summer, we finished fifth last season and played 2 rounds in the UEFA Cup. Obviously money is not a problem.

By the way, there are several teams in the Challenge League that are professional.

The only person not on a professional contract is my managerial "self".

That's another thing- I was offered a full time contract even before I turned my team completely into pros. Like I said, by any definition, we are a pro team- it's just the designation that needs to change.

If I'd seen this earlier I could have helped. If you have a single player in any squad thats part-time then you won't turn professional, so just offer them all fulltime contracts or bin them.

Actually, that's not true. I was managing Magnotsfield the BSS (or BSN, can't remember) in an earlier save. After promotion to the BSP and surviving there for 3 seasons as semi-pro. The club announced we were turning Pro. Which surprised me at the time as I thought it probably wouldn't happen till we achieved promotion to League 2 at the earliest.

Yet, I still has at least 5 or 6 first team players on semi-pro contracts as they refused to sign full time pro deals.

Actually, that's not true. I was managing Magnotsfield the BSS (or BSN, can't remember) in an earlier save. After promotion to the BSP and surviving there for 3 seasons as semi-pro. The club announced we were turning Pro. Which surprised me at the time as I thought it probably wouldn't happen till we achieved promotion to League 2 at the earliest.

Yet, I still has at least 5 or 6 first team players on semi-pro contracts as they refused to sign full time pro deals.

Oh ok, strange I'd always got in my head from an older version that they all had to be fulltime contracts, but maybe I'm wrong completely then

Archived