Do you mainly buy for the future or buy for now?

I would add a poll but there are a lot of options ie. club, transfer budget etc. I was just wondering whether you predominantely buy for the future and end up playing players who came through the youth team, or do you buy players that can win you matches in the present, no matter what the age?

In previous games I used to exclusively buy young starlets. Now that players seem to last a bit longer (which I highly appreciate) I don't shy away from buying a player who's 30 anymore. In 9.2.0 I had several of the Milan oldies still going strong in 2011/12, which would never ever have happened with previous iterations. So yeah I mix it up to get a good mix of young and old.

Depends on what level of club I'm managing in a save really.

If I'm managing someone like Man Utd, then I'm pretty happy enough with the default squad and won't make any big signings. With a side like that I'll look for the best yougsters to bring in and nurture.

If I'm playing a lower league game, as I am at the moment with Altrincham in the BSP, then age doesn't matter, quality does. I simply try to sign the best players who will come to my club regardless of their age. All so far have been free transfers. With youth at a club like Altrincham, I never really bother until a few seasons in if I've managed to coax the board into improving facilities. That in itself can be as difficult as plaiting poop ;)

In previous games I used to exclusively buy young starlets. Now that players seem to last a bit longer (which I highly appreciate) I don't shy away from buying a player who's 30 anymore. In 9.2.0 I had several of the Milan oldies still going strong in 2011/12, which would never ever have happened with previous iterations. So yeah I mix it up to get a good mix of young and old.

yh this is what i like doing - my liverpool aim is to have a man utd style team with older club ledgends, (ie gerrard, owen, carragher) players with expierience in their prime as well as good young internationals mixed with the best of my home-grown regen talent:)

my main objective is to eventually have a completely british team, as liverpool lack in this area currently

I try and buy young players to bring through but sometimes you just have to fill a gap. I'm Cesena in Italy, competing in the top half of Serie A but still often lose players to bigger clubs. Try to buy younger though, oldest guy a brought recently was Pavel Progebrynak (sp?) at 31 after Milan forced me to sell me star striker

I have a major problem :( i have loads of cash and i cant help but spend it. I look through the youth squads at the beginning of each season and buy the ones which my scouts reconmend best, usually 4 star potential (spending a maximum of 8M per regen). All three squads (youth, reserve, first) are massive and i cant sell enough players to balence the amount i bring in. ill have to stop buying for about three seasons :(

Really annoying though when one of your rivals buys a good regen which you would have bought had you squad not been full and then that regen just happens to become one of the best in the game, scores the winner against you in the champions league final which forces you to buy him next season for a massive fee.

Anyway back on subject, i always buy youth, never bought a player over 24 years of age.

I have a major problem :( i have loads of cash and i cant help but spend it. I look through the youth squads at the beginning of each season and buy the ones which my scouts reconmend best, usually 4 star potential (spending a maximum of 8M per regen). All three squads (youth, reserve, first) are massive and i cant sell enough players to balence the amount i bring in. ill have to stop buying for about three seasons :(

Really annoying though when one of your rivals buys a good regen which you would have bought had you squad not been full and then that regen just happens to become one of the best in the game, scores the winner against you in the champions league final which forces you to buy him next season for a massive fee.

Anyway back on subject, i always buy youth, never bought a player over 24 years of age.

like a kid in a massive sweat shop lol

yeh sometimes you cant resist the youngsters but you have to resist and find a way of balancing it out

that is a major problem, why don't you just only buy players with higher reccomendations, I rarely go below 5 stars potential

I have a very good mix going IMO for instance on my .0.2 save I bought in Keirrison, Laurito, Soldado, Ribery, Sakho, Saivet, Altidore, Defour, Carioca and Srna. A mix of some experienced players (Ribery, Srna, Soldado) with a bit of South American youth which fulfills its potential in a year or so (Keirrison, Laurito, Carioca) with some promising youth players (Saivet, Sakho, Altidore) with one bad buy (Defour).

like a kid in a massive sweat shop lol

yeh sometimes you cant resist the youngsters but you have to resist and find a way of balancing it out

Well, I don't know about a kid in a massive sweatshop, he would just end up manufacturing all of the huge sports companies goods ;) Sweet shop, I think you mean :D

I prefer having youngsters to bleed, this is mainly because recently I've adopted a (much more successful) Wenger-style approach in order to save money in the short term and increase player sales profits in the long term, in the hope I will finally get a new stadium!

I get much more attached to youngsters I've found and improved than buying world-class players already.

If I'm managing someone like Man Utd, then I'm pretty happy enough with the default squad and won't make any big signings. With a side like that I'll look for the best yougsters to bring in and nurture.

If I'm playing a lower league game, as I am at the moment with Altrincham in the BSP, then age doesn't matter, quality does. I simply try to sign the best players who will come to my club regardless of their age. All so far have been free transfers. With youth at a club like Altrincham, I never really bother until a few seasons in if I've managed to coax the board into improving facilities. That in itself can be as difficult as plaiting poop ;)

Pretty much the same, if i'm a big club (rare) then i'll get a 1st team squad i'm happy with then as my game progresses i buy more and more youth players each season.

All too often I buy past-it players to supplement my squad in the hope that they can turn their performance levels around. 90% of the time it's a dismal (and expensive) failure with a few notable successes in FM07

Most of the time it's purchases for the future. This is where good scouts and common sense is a big advantage. Nothing quite like seeing your seven star potential player achieve his potential (albeit at another club after I've trousered a large transfer fee to pay for more past-it has-beens!)

I have a very good mix going IMO for instance on my .0.2 save I bought in Keirrison, Laurito, Soldado, Ribery, Sakho, Saivet, Altidore, Defour, Carioca and Srna. A mix of some experienced players (Ribery, Srna, Soldado) with a bit of South American youth which fulfills its potential in a year or so (Keirrison, Laurito, Carioca) with some promising youth players (Saivet, Sakho, Altidore) with one bad buy (Defour).

No english players?

Tchhh.

Not even an irish one!

I buy young players who are good enough for the XI but with big potential. I've got Asenjo, Santon(he's turning into a monster), Mattock, SancheZ, Defour (started poorly, but no supreme), Witsel, Milevskyis and Cardozo. All are experieced for their age.

I've then spent a fair bit on my youth team; I've made a whole sixteen to develop through to eventually come into my team. Got a couple who are 17 whou could probably be in my first team squad and have massive potential.

it really depends what type of team im playing as. If I am at a top team and have strength in depth I buy for the future. If I am a team outwith the top division I only buy better than what I have, this is dictated by the fact that the club inherently will not be rich. if I am a conference north/south team I generally take anyone I can get!

I would add a poll but there are a lot of options ie. club, transfer budget etc. I was just wondering whether you predominantely buy for the future and end up playing players who came through the youth team, or do you buy players that can win you matches in the present, no matter what the age?

I manage clubs where the future has to be ignored in favour of the present (eg St Etienne, League 2 teams etc) but would love to buy youth for the future. Had go as Man City but you just know those players may never get theri chance. For St Etienne have just bought young (18 yrs) Rapnik a promising DL from Hearts. Am hoping he will be a ready made 3rd choice for now though.

Time will tell.

for your elite or top teams i buy youth and occasionally a top player if there are gaping holes in the squad but if im championship level or below i mainly look for free's or loans of any age to help me get to the next level in the short term that way i can change my squad each year to suit the level im at

I do almost the same as you only difference is when i am elite club I buy mostly top players.

pretty much agree with this, when i'm taking clubs through the leagues i buy the best i can but once i'm a good prem club i buy young and build into a strong premier league team and then also buy exclusively youngsters

yeah thats the one!! :thup:

:D if sweets were players id be one fat guy :)

Decided not to buy any more than 4 of the best youngsters per season now till my squad becomes smaller.

The small clubs will be unhappy now because they were profiting from good quality young players on loan from me

Cheers guys :D

Archived