EPL Youth Development

Hi i am currently doing an essay project thing instead of FM. But i would be very grateful if you guys could help me because 1 you know alot about football and 2 i need some variation in the ages of people i ask questions to so they cant all be my mates.

I would must appreciate it if you could fill in this questionnaire please:

Gander:

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team:

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd:

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state:

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL:

Remember this is about real football and not FM :)

Would be great if you could do this for me but understand if you cba.

Gander:Male

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team:NO

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd:its isnt bad(better than ours)

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state:eh no not really

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL:eh tough one but

fabregas

rooney

ronaldo

england make most world cups and have a fabulous national pool of world class players

we got to the world cup quater final with your rejects

i think it has more to do with do with mentality then quality

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team: I think there are too many but I am not sure if this ruins the national team.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd: I think the youth developement is pretty good in this country but could be better. There are some excellent players out there but we do not produce as many as other countries. I think we need some rules not to limit the foreigners in the EPL but clubs should have to register a certain amount of younger players. In Portugal a team has to have 10 players trained in Portugal in the registered squad, this or something like it should be applied in England. In Russia the match squad must have one player under 19 and homegrown in the match squad.

I think rules like this would help the youth of the our country.

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state: No.

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL: Rooney, Fabregas and Walcott

Sorry to go on a bit hope it helps.

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL:eh tough one but

fabregas

rooney

ronaldo

Ronaldo has just turned 24 while Rooney is 23 so not sure either should be included.

So much choice though.

I guess off the top of my head I would currently say Fabregas, Babbel & Nani but many others deserve a mention as well.

Gander: Male

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team: No

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd: Not particularly good. The proposal of a national academy at Burton was actually a very good one. Much like the system in France or dare I say it, for all sports in Australia.

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state: [Not really...]

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL: I don't really see a point to this particular question. If we're talking about the best young Englishmen though, we'd be looking at Walcott, Rooney and Richards.

I'm guessing the findings on the 6 + 5 rule would have sparked this. To be perfectly honest I'm against the 6 + 5 rule because of my own beliefs, and when it comes to what impact on the English national side, there's probably not that much difference.

People think the rule will benefit the national side because more Youngsters will play for EPL sides, however with the dimished quality of the league due to the limit on many of the players who make the league what it is this benifit would be far less. People seem to believe that England has these young stars in the making floating about, but they're being hidden by the massive number of foreigners in the league. In truth, this is bollocks and just purely xenopheobic. England has produced a generation of players of extremely high quality because of these players who are considered a "burden" by some.

Some might argue; "Why if we have these "quality players" don't we do well. Well there are two very simple answers:

1.) Because some players just don't care about England. The most extreme cases of this are Paul Scholes and Jamie Carragher, but there are others who truly don't play their heart out for their nation.

2.) England really can't produce the kinds of players they believe they can.

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team: No Mr. Capello is doing that.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd: Not too great

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state: Nope. Sorry.

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL: Ashley Young, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team:No, they improve the quality by improving the standard of player the England players play aginst week in week out.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd:Poor. Players are forced onto full size pitches and 11a-side games way to early. Indeed, too much emphasis is placed on teamwork at a young age, and thus, we produce many central midfielders, but not many quality wingers. The French and Dutch systems are ones which should be looked at.

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state:No

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL:Fabregas, Walcott, the Da Silva twins (can't differentiate between the two)

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team:I Dont think it is runing the english national team but also would love to see more english players running rant on the prem

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd:Quite low for bringing fresh english talent as you look at most youth teams they are full of brazilian or portugese players :/

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state:Nope not as far as i know :]

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL:1) Ronaldo, 2) Fabregas 3) Milner

Hope this helps :thup:

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team: No. Not remotely. The English national side suffers from it's nationality and intrinsic national traits. Englands repeated failure on the big occasion, and penchant for getting well and truly found out (Spain) are as a result of something that stems into the very heart of this countries education system, sports facilities, national identity, cultural failings and in no way helped by all that unfounded expectation in light of a single world cup win about 40 yrs ago.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd: Poor, simply poor. Half our academy's are full of foreign talent, and not least because countries like Spain anbd others have domestic laws that prevent youngsters from being signed by the clubs they start out with untiol they are 18. It's too easy for English clubs to cherry pick from elsewhere.

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? No. Just a lack of rules in place to encourage it such as the 6+5 rule which will soon be in place.

Please state: Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL: C. Ronaldo, Cesc Fabregas, Ashley Young.

:thup:

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team: No Mr. Capello is doing that.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd: Not too great

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state: Nope. Sorry.

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL: Ashley Young, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri

what a ridiculous thing to say what makes you think that. the fact that we lost to spain who just happen to be the best team in the world right now. in my opinion Mr Capello is the best england manager in a very long time and we are very lucky to have him and i would love to talk to you when we win the world cup next year.

what a ridiculous thing to say what makes you think that. the fact that we lost to spain who just happen to be the best team in the world right now. in my opinion Mr Capello is the best england manager in a very long time and we are very lucky to have him and i would love to talk to you when we win the world cup next year.

Thats your opinion mate. I am entitled to mine and I do think that while he is 'apparently' giving all these new in form players a chance it is a con that gets the public behind him. He picks the in form Young and plays the shockingly out of form Downing without Young getting off the bench.

Then my biggest issue. We have been very lucky in our results. Theo's hattrick? luck. We have not been convincing in any game except that. Mr Capello is holding a grudge against Englands best goalscorer. Michael Owen ended last season in sensational form and started this season in equally good form. He has 8 goals in 15 games this season. Yet he has not appeared for Fabio Crapello apart from very briefly once or twice.

• 3 months later...

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team: tough question and no-one really knows the answer. if the EPL only had englisg players it would be a sub standard league, if there wasn't any english players they wouldn't benefit either.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in england: it's crap, far too many good players slip through the fingers of professional clubs (i can only speak for my area, newcastle)... others seem to fluke their way into PL teams (shola ameobi)

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state: not any rules as such but, in my experience coaches put too much emphasis on winning, it's not about enjoying the game or improving as a footballer. In brazil, portugal and spain there is no emphasis on winning. coaches play the biggest strongest kids over the technically gifted players to improve their reputation as a coach. coaches best mates sons play instead of the better players.

a good example i have is a friend of mine's 5aside team... they go all round the country playing 5aside competitions for money and they clean up, their u19 academy regularly beats newcastles, boro's, sunderlands and other pro academies yet only 1 of the squad of 20 has been signed professionally. im not suggesting they all should be signed up but...

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL: best young forward : walcott, best mid : fabregas by a mile, best def : BASSONG!!!

given1legend...

no offence but are you for real? owen? sensational form? and you say you support newcastle???

he could have single handedly saved us from relegation but he failed miserably missing three sitters. he's in the worst form of his life.

molywop

Owen did end the season on the worst form of his life. But end of 2007/08 season and beginning of 08/09 he was class.

Martins was more damaging to our chances of staying up than Owen. Missed 2 sitters against Aston Villa alone. And Ameobi is even worse. Choosing to shoot on his weaker foot rather than give Martins a 3rd sitter to miss following Owen beating Knight in the air. Shola is an example of all that is wrong with English youth. He came through the youth system 9 or so years ago and has still not developed his game. Clubs pick young players who are big and chuck out the smaller technical players for being 'too small'.

A number of players could have single handedly saved us from relegation by the way. And 1 referee called Howard Webb.

Shola Ameobi fluking his way in and coaches preferring physical players who are the next John Terry or Alan Shearer compared to the next Iniesta.

I idolise Shearer but you need a mix of flair and power. Picking 10 Shearer/Terry built players is Allardyce football. The real gifted players are chucked out instead of their game being improved. :)

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team: No.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in england: Hampered by the overemphasis on physicality and team play rather than on technical ability. European youngsters get a lot more time on the ball and it shows.

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state: "Not any rules as such but, in my experience coaches put too much emphasis on winning, it's not about enjoying the game or improving as a footballer. In brazil, portugal and spain there is no emphasis on winning. coaches play the biggest strongest kids over the technically gifted players to improve their reputation as a coach. coaches best mates sons play instead of the better players." - Exactly.

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL: Fabregas, Mancienne, Ashley Young

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in england: Figures speak for them self, its awful. We spend 1 tenth of what france spend on there sport development, its awful. It's currently higher due to the olympics been hosted in england, but as soon as that goes the funding will plumit again.

i agree given1legend...

it's no coincidence that england have a vast amount of good CB's. i read gavin strachans blog on the bbc/football site a while back and he said that at notts county they believe a player needs 2000 touches of the ball in a training session to improve his technique.

it's obviously relative to ability but i doubt in my youth i got more than 100 in training sessions.

i didn't learn to take a man on until well after my 11aside "career" was over (taught myself playin 5aside), i was too scared at being shouted at by all the parents on the sidelines if i messed up.

another point worth a mention... i believe in countries such as brazil, spain etc players arn't introduced to 11aside until their teenage years, they concentrate on 5,6 and 7aside to improve technique (more touches of the ball, less incentive on "hoof" ball). oh and it prevents GK's getting lobbed on the line.

Gander: Male

Do you think foreigners in the EPL are ruining the standards of the england national team:Personally i am all in favour of the 6+5 rule. We need a strong English base. Many other leagues have a limit of 5 Foriegners per starting 11. & some countries have a limit of 8 Foreigners per squad. We should be like this.

What are your thoughts on the current state of youth development in engalnd: Not enoguh time & money is put into the development of youth grassroots.

Where children can learn about the game and different styles & techniques.

Do you know of any rules that prevent youth development in england? please state: I dont.

Who do you consider the top 3 under 23 year olds in the EPL:

Ashley Young, G Agbonlahor, Joe Hart

Archived