The classic concede a late goal when you switch to defensive!

I wonder if this is a bug or my bad management?

I use the same tactics for every game, occasionally switching a striker for a midfielder, depending on the team im playing against. My problem is this, and my flat mate has it too - If i am playing an important game, say CL semi final, and im 1-0 up at home, second leg on aggregate, 6 minutes to go, and i decide that Pato the rocket has done enough, and can come on for a dmc or even a sweeper, my attack bar gets reset to defensive, time wasting goes up and backline is hold deep. Why then, why why why why why do i ALWAYS without FAIL concede a goal in the last minute to put me out! WHY!? Is it a bug, or something im doing wrong. Advice?

Bad management.

Going defensive doesn't mean that you won't concede. If you've dropped to deep and they have strikers or midfielders capable from range or a striker capable of knocking a few in with his head and some good crossers of the ball then that might be the issue. Being defense can mean that they get more of the ball, and so they can use that to their advantage. Depends really on how you went more defensive really.

I dont usually change anything - when i put the midfielder or defender into place, the arrow points forward but i take it straight off. With regards to passing, tempo etc i dont change anything, all that changes is my formation. Could it be that my team as still passing direct, and then losing the ball from a very attacking team?

I dont usually change anything - when i put the midfielder or defender into place, the arrow points forward but i take it straight off. With regards to passing, tempo etc i dont change anything, all that changes is my formation. Could it be that my team as still passing direct, and then losing the ball from a very attacking team?

Theres your answer, if you swap players cause you want to go defensive, then you also have to change player/team instructions.

Do you set your DM to hold up ball?, this has been the best bit of advice I have ever been given during my time on these forums.

What you are doing by by subbing a striker for a defensive midfielder and not changing the player instructions is telling the dmc to play with the strikers player instructions. You need to change the instructions for the dmc to defensive mentality etc.

What you are doing by by subbing a striker for a defensive midfielder and not changing the player instructions is telling the dmc to play with the strikers player instructions. You need to change the instructions for the dmc to defensive mentality etc.

Correct. That's why I think that default possition instructions should be aplied AS SOON AS we make a possitional change. So, in the OP's example, when he made the sub and replaced a ST with a DM, the default DM instructions should be activated (instead keeping those of the ST's) so we'd only need just a tweak here and there and not changing every single instruction. Imagine the time and trouble this would save us!

Of course we can use the default possitional instructions in the drop down menu (tactics screen), but if there was a way to do this by just placing the palyer on the field, it woud be perfect, don't you think? In case if ,i.e. like the OP,we forget to change instructions.

Archived