I got a son!

I have at last got a son in the game. He has come up through my youth academy here at Benfica at the start of the 2037/38 season. His name is Erik.

My coaches don't rate him very highly but I'm hoping he will improve greatly. I am quite excited about following his career, even if it is not with us.

Erik's Profile Page

Erik's Personal Page

Very exciting. However, all is not well. I have noticed a slight issue with his nationality, which is Portuguese, with Dutch second. He is listed as being born in Lisbon. Fair enough you might think - I am a Dutch manager managing a Lisbon-based team in Portugal. The thing is, his d.o.b. is 19th Feb 2021 and you can see from my achievements screen that I was in fact still managing Ajax back in Amsterdam at that point. So his birth place should really be Amsterdam and his primary nationality should be Dutch.

My Manager Achievements Page

Note that he also says (in the second screenshot) he would opt to play for Portugal, which obviously I'm not thrilled about but it's his decision I suppose!

Now how's work coming along on the old "Estádio do van der Veenstraat"? icon_wink.gif

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by robzilla:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Ooh very nice. What's your age in the game? Because I'm 52 and at around the same season in my game, so maybe I should be expecting offspring in my youth team shortly icon_razz.gif

My age in game is 69. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not spawned a sprog, I take it?

Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robzilla:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Ooh very nice. What's your age in the game? Because I'm 52 and at around the same season in my game, so maybe I should be expecting offspring in my youth team shortly icon_razz.gif

Not spawned a sprog, I take it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robzilla:

Not spawned a sprog, I take it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, yeah I understand your bewliderment! Don't worry. I got all confused and thought you were an additional poster rather than the original poster.

69 is pretty old to have a son isn't it! I suppose I've got plenty of life in me yet, being only 52 in the year 2035 or so. The only thing that can stop me now is infertility or FM09 icon_wink.gif

Well he's 16 so I would have been 53 when he was born - yup pretty old tbh but not all that uncommon, especially rich old guys like me! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Lol true.

This is the first conclusive proof I've seen. Not sure I would like this in my game though. Cool to finally see it though.

Well he's 16 so I would have been 53 when he was born - yup pretty old tbh but not all that uncommon, especially rich old guys like me! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

He's a handsome young fellow too! I'd hate to finally have a son, then him turn out to be one of those ugly regens you tend to find. Maybe he gets his good looks from his Mum's side?

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

i dont think the game would recognise him as born then, just born when he came into the game, if you get me. i want one icon_frown.gif

Yeah I can see what you mean. However the game generates a d.o.b for him, and it knows when I joined and when I left all the clubs I've managed so I don't think it would be too difficult for it to work out where he should have been born. Just a little detail, but would add to the realism. Also, we moved to Spain 3 months after he was born and stayed there for 10 years, so he should speak Spanish fluently too!

Originally posted by anthony wright:

An unecessary addition in my opinion, if you want this you may as well go and play Fifa manager

I think you're the only one who thinks that mate.

This addition is not set in stone. 1/1000 chance of it happening if you play long enough. We've not seen many examples. Nothing wrong with it really.

An unecessary addition in my opinion, if you want this you may as well go and play Fifa manager

What harm is it? All it does is make the game feel slightly more personal. It' not a stupid gimmick such asthe stadium builder or find a wife that you'd get in FIFA.

I respect your views, but I think it is more important to improve things that are essential to managing a football team rather than adding things like this

But then there would be no depth in the game. And it's not as if they worked flat-out for 6 months on creating this "newgen son" aspect of the game.

I respect your views, but I think it is more important to improve things that are essential to managing a football team rather than adding things like this

IIRC i think one of the SI crew mentioned it was only really a 5-minute, unplanned 'easter egg' style addition to the game. Still waiting for one icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by max is FM god:

What age did you guys start off as I started off as 29 and I'm know 31 how long should it be until I get a wife and kids or kid icon_confused.gif

You don't get wives.

And sons in the game are few and far between. You will probably never get one. I started at 26 and am 52 now.

Originally posted by Diego_Werderdona:

Just by the way, how did you leave Ajax after so many years? I can never separate myself from any club I spend more than five years at..

Yup that was hard. But I really came to the point where I had achieved everything I could with them. My goal when I set out was to win the Eredivisie and then the Champs league. Obviously I won the title with ease (11 times on the trot!) but it took me 8 years to win the CL. Once I had, I stuck around for a few more years, then I just had to move on because otherwise I would just be going on and on and on doing the same thing.

Moving on was the best thing I ever did, and I had 10 great years at Sevilla, again winning the domestic title (much harder thain Holland, only won it twice in all that time) and winning the Champs League after 8 years. Again, I felt I had achieved all I could and I moved on. I left that Sevilla team in such a good state they went on to dominate La Liga, winning the title twice more in the next few years, though they are starting to tail off now.

So anyway, the key is set goals, and when you acheive those goals, move on. There are alwyas new challenges to take on...

Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

How did you sytart at 26. It only lets you start as young as 29. Come to think about it, on my game, whatever year you say you were born it's always 1977.

29 then, I can't say I took much notice when I started up. Either way - you ain't gonna have a 16 yar-old son at that age.

Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

How did you sytart at 26. It only lets you start as young as 29. Come to think about it, on my game, whatever year you say you were born it's always 1977.

For some reason, if you create you manager later in the game, rather than at the beginning, the '1977' threshold doesn't work anymore.

I'm not sure how clear that is, so let me put it another way.

I started my game with a manager called 'holiday manager' because I wanted to holiday and see which teams became available and then create my real manager to take over at the club (and retire the 'holiday manager').

When a club finally became available, I retired my 'holiday manager' and then created a new manager with DOB in 1982, making him 25. For some reason the usual default threshold of 1977 didn't kick in and my manager started the game as a 25-year-old.

Clear as mud?

C.

I loaded the league so I started in March, as none of the playable clubs caugt my fancy. I holidayed until the end of the season. Created a new manager, DOB 1983, only it set it to 1978. I guess I will always have to start at 29 icon_frown.gif

Just got a son for the first time.I started the game at the age of about 62.He joined the youth squad at the start of my 3rd season in charge,but it took him a few weeks to add me to his favoured personel having made no one on one contact with him.This is called.....Neglect

Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

For some reason, if you create you manager later in the game, rather than at the beginning, the '1977' threshold doesn't work anymore.

I started my game with a manager called 'holiday manager' because I wanted to holiday and see which teams became available and then create my real manager to take over at the club (and retire the 'holiday manager').

When a club finally became available, I retired my 'holiday manager' and then created a new manager with DOB in 1982, making him 25. For some reason the usual default threshold of 1977 didn't kick in and my manager started the game as a 25-year-old.

Clear as mud?

C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is because the lowest selectable manager age and the default age setting for ages below that are different. If you put in a date of birth that is too young it will default you to 29/30, however you can start with an age as low as 25/26.

The extra year you holidayed for has probably made your manager age eligible when in the previous season it wasn't.

Quick Erik update for anyone who's interested.

He has been featuring regularly for the Under 19 squad (I have not been controlling them), making 13 starts and 5 sub appearances, and scoring 10 goals!

Erik's Profile

His development hasn't really got going yet, though he has got slightly worse at penalty taking (surprise, he's a regen!) and his strength has improved.

I think he has developed a PPM - although it may have been there when he first appeared, I can't remember.

Erik's PPM

Overall, he has been in magnificent form and I have quite high hopes for hime, even though my coaches don't rate him and suggest I should offload him! My own son for goodness sake!

Erik's Form

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

Clear as mud?

C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is because the lowest selectable manager age and the default age setting for ages below that are different. If you put in a date of birth that is too young it will default you to 29/30, however you can start with an age as low as 25/26.

The extra year you holidayed for has probably made your manager age eligible when in the previous season it wasn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Dafuge - that makes perfect sense.

I thought it was just a nuance of the game and something that anyone could do but what you have said explains it perfectly.

Apologies to anyone I have mislead!

C.

More Erik news. End of his first full season playing for the U19s, he has turned 17 and signed a professional contract with the club. He is developing well in all areas and his value has rocketed to €35k! He has 3 clubs interested in him...

Erik's Profile

Erik's Transfer Screen

10m Euro asking price! I don't suppose Anadia are going to bid that. I guess you don't want him to leave then...

Archived