Money burning a hole in your pocket? Something wise to do on a budget.

Take a sheet of paper.

Compare all your best players, position by position, until you are sure of your best 1st 11.

Write out your 1st 11 in their positions in your favoured formation.

In brackets after each name write your 2nd choice for each position.

Before signing anyone make sure that they are at least better than your no. 2 for their favoured position.

It sounds simple but it has saved me a lot of transfer kitty that would have been wasted on squad "fillers" otherwise, and if the season goes a bit wrong that sheet of paper reminds you of your considered opinions pre-season.

I know for a fact that some managers do this IRL, I'll name names if I can.

doesnt everyone do this? its called common sense

You would think! I am a tactical planner but with FM09's more drawn out transfer procedure I find I can be signing squad fillers but get carried away with the negotiations - the crib sheet helps. You dont have to try this but if its good enough for the pro's then its good enough for me.

Football & common sense have never been the best of bedfellows.

I do this but just by trying to get double the amount of players for that position e.g. 2 right backs 4 centre backs, then if there are any noticable gaps, delve into the transfer kitty or if not(watford lol) loan kitty. and another few youngsters as back up/developers.

White boards are cool

Yes thats the best idea. I like the wordpad idea too but if I window & switch in & out of the game it keeps doing annoying minimise things that I didnt want, when I didnt want them! - way too frustrating.

Back to the whiteboard idea, SI should do one as a promo offer with branding & maybe a reversible "pitch" side for laying out the formation - I would like that!.

...thinking...... MAYBE THEY SHOULD DO THAT & OFFER IT AS A FREEBIE TO ALL THOSE POOR BUGGERS WHO HAD TO DEAL WITH THE DRM ISSUE ON RELEASE DAY! (subject to proof of purchase on 14/11/08 of course, if they wanna be all tight ar5ed about it!)

That would be a nice gesture, any thoughts out there?...yes SI, I'm talking to you!

Archived