the return of the corner bug?

im just wondering if anybody else has scored an abnormal amount of goals from corners, a la 8.02 last year. in the world club championship, john terry has scored 6 from corners (on attacking gk) and carvalho has scored 2 (on stand on near post). is this just me or has anybody else found this happening too

I've always scored a steady number of goals from corners, not quit like the bug on 8.0.2, but still a few here and there (challenge GK (with other settings) gets me around 10 a season). EDIT: 9.0.2, not tested 9.0.3 much yet.

Anyone experiencing several a game? That would be awful:mad:

it was still there in part in 9.0.2, defenders scoring about 10 goals a season, but nothing on this level

Doesn't have to be defenders, just a player that would be good in the air. If a striker was scoring 10 from corners in a season, it would probably go fairly unnoticed, certainly not a bug.

No, but ive only managed to score 14 DFK's in 11 seasons and i've had THE worlds best free-kicktakers in my team (freekick stat of 18+). Arsenal managed to score 31 in one season

On 9.0.1 I could score a few free kicks using top class players, but almost every one on 9.0.2 went horribly wide using the same players

How many free-kick goals do you see every week in the Prem? Take away Ronaldo and you wouldn't see many at all. It's not just the freekick stat that determines how often you score, it's technique and a good number of mental attributes.

Yeah Ronaldo's free kicks suck, its just cause he gets so many each match makes him look like he scores a lot, he probably has one of the worst ratios going.. all go into the wall or low and wide or just blasted over.. should haven attribute of about 8 on FM imho

Come the end of the season, I am at least 4 or 5 goals above the 2nd top scorers from corners. Also I would like to add that the game automatically chooses your best header (I think?) to attack your corners, meaning that it could be a defender.

I don't think he's 'awful' as you put it bison, he hits it in the sweet spot (where the pump hole is) and gets it up and down fairly well. His ratio may not be the best but it never will be the way he hits it. He's like Roberto Carlos, rifles them and still get a fair amount of curve.

I don't really want to defend him too much because I think he is a diving ninny.

it is not necessarily a bug

imo the number of goals scored in corners depend very much on a player's jumping & heading attributes

however i'd agree that corner goals in 9.3 seemed to have increased, although i've only played 3 friendly games with some rubbish teams (with 6 corner goals)

With 9.2 Dunne has got me 9 goals in 50 games (but one or possibly 2 was with his feet) and Caceres has 6 in 51 games (including 2 goals in 2mins). If you put it in the 6 yard box with a good corner taker and defenders with good heading, jumping and strength you've always got a chance. It is certainly nowhere near as frequent as FM08, instead of going in all the time there are a lot of close calls, either getting cleared off the line, hitting the bar or going just wide.

Although this number of goals for a pair of centre halves still seems unrealistic I think it has more to do with the level of wicked deliveries that the corner takers have been putting in, perhaps it is them that are too accurate. All this said, I'm happy with the frequency as it is and I hope it hasn't changed much in 9.3.

I think a lot of people in this thread seem to be interpreting corner bug to mean simply a large number of goals coming from headed goals by defenders. IIRC the real corner bug required a certain, specific combination of corner settings that exploited the match engine. Are people who are reporting problems on this thread actually using the specific tactic?

I think a lot of people in this thread seem to be interpreting corner bug to mean simply a large number of goals coming from headed goals by defenders.

From my point of few the bug is that the best position to score from corners is to challenge GK. When in real life it's possibly the worst position to get yourself a goal.

I'm saying it for a long time. But what I find quite redicilous is that those who say there is no bug and PaulC himself always ask and talk just about the numbers of goals from corners, not the way they are scored.

Why not just remove ME completely and just have realistic scores?

At least we have some minor progress. What I was saying half a year ago about positioning a player in front of near post at six yard box is now implemented somehow in ME. May be in a few years we will see realistic behaviour of players challenging GK who irl almost never can jump for the ball and move more than a few yards because they are held by defenders/gk. But in FM they can have a great run up and jump at the ball.

The main problem here I think is that the players don't have collisions but I believe corners could've been scripted better in that sense.

Does anyone have a player with more than 10 in a season from corners in 9.3?

I have a CB who's notched up 2 goals in 2 games from corners plus another header from a wide freekick.

I'll be keeping an eye on things.

Is it really that unrealistic for a defender to score 10-15 goals a season with his head, considering they go up for corners every single game for the reason there usualy tall and have a good hearder ability.

Care to name me anyone who did it with challenge GK instruction irl?

roanldo Koemen scored 187 goals in a 17 year career as a defender, i wouldnt be able to tell ya how they were all scored but a number with his head

I would hazard a guess that most of those goals were thunderbolt freekicks.

I would hazard a guess that most of those goals were thunderbolt freekicks.

And long shots from open play. Never forget how he drove the ball forward from defense, noone pressing him and just letting it fly into the top corner from 30-40 yards. Pure class.

I have scored 0 from corners after 9.3.0...grrr... Plenty of hits to crossbar etc. or near misses.

But leading the EPL with Manchester Al-Citeh by 12 points does give you bad karma. In 9.2.0, Dunne used to score quite regularly by challenging the GK. Now he's..err..crap.

Caceres (DC) for my Man City team already has 9 league goals after 15 appearances, all from headers. I will upload his history stats at the end of the season.

Corner kick takers have been Lassana Diarra and Balotelli. This in 9.3. :)

I feel that set-pieces in general are producing far more goals now. For example, I'm in the middle of a goal-fest away at Catania. It's currently 3-2 to me. Of the five goals, three have been from corners, one was a header from a crossed free-kick, and one was a penalty. It's a bit depressing to not be able to score in open play in my last four games as Inter Milan. I'm not saying "It wouldn't happen", but I do think the balance has shifted HEAVILY in favour of set pieces (and also long shots but that's a different story).

Thus far, through 9.0 - 9.1 - 9.2 & now 9.3 - I have actually tried using the well known "exploit" setup from FM08 for corners, to see if it had been fixed. I've not seen anywhere near the same figures, suggesting it has.

I am now happy using a "mixed" routine, because my wide players who take the corners are also set to high-ish creative freedom and are good at taking corners. The distribution of goals is pretty balanced in terms of variety.

How do I do the corner bug again?

Put your best header on "Challenge GK" and set corners to "6 yard box".

I've tried it myself once or twice and I really haven't noticed any insane goalscoring numbers like some that I've read here, but then that might be because my players suck.

Currently have played 23 games on new patch and have scored 18 goals from corners. 14 of them from my DC set to "Challenge Keeper". And he missed a couple of those games through injury.

The other 4 goals have come from FC set to "Attack Far Post".

I don't think he's 'awful' as you put it bison, he hits it in the sweet spot (where the pump hole is) and gets it up and down fairly well. His ratio may not be the best but it never will be the way he hits it. He's like Roberto Carlos, rifles them and still get a fair amount of curve.

I don't really want to defend him too much because I think he is a diving ninny.

I agree with you here. Ronaldo is a great free kick taker.

That is quite redicilous that they can't fix it for more than year.

The best solution until they really can't program anything meaningful is to forbid the instruction of challenging GK. Can't really see any reasons when current absolutely unrealistic situation is any better than that solution.

Archived