Battery Icon

It's quite cool, it's a shame that it pretends to be clickable though! Would be good if a click took you to the Game Status screen where it shows your CPU usage.

It does give you the % remaining if you keep the cursor over the icon

• SI Staff

I am currently waiting for some approved wording to be able to explain why we've added this in - it's partly linked to the FM Club (which, if you haven't joined yet, you really, really should do), but mostly linked to some interesting facts about FM and multi-core processors that should put some claims that have been made by some forum users to bed once and for all.

More to come soon....

I am currently waiting for some approved wording to be able to explain why we've added this in - it's partly linked to the FM Club (which, if you haven't joined yet, you really, really should do), but mostly linked to some interesting facts about FM and multi-core processors that should put some claims that have been made by some forum users to bed once and for all.

More to come soon....

Approved by who :confused:I thought your SI God Miles :p

I think its a good addtion and am very intrigued to see how its gonna link into FM club? Are we gonna win prizes for most CPU usage:D

Hmm.. my "processor usage"-thingy just has a yellow line at 0%....

Happens to me too. I believe this is under review. Could you post your system specs here so that it can be reported?

(motherboard, processor type and speed, ram, operating system and maybe gfx card, I guess that would do).

• SI Staff
Approved by who :confused:I thought your SI God Miles :p

I think its a good addtion and am very intrigued to see how its gonna link into FM club? Are we gonna win prizes for most CPU usage:D

When third parties are involved, it wouldn't be fair of me to say something without them knowing that I'm going to say it!

FM Club announcement should be going out very, very soon. I'm just gutted that I can't win the prize :(

I can't speak for third parties...

FM Club announcement should be going out very, very soon. I'm just gutted that I can't win the prize :(

Damned politeness and legal issues standing in the way of the prize announcment :rolleyes:

And I was about to go out as well!

Will it be a global announcement again?

• SI Staff

After the release of Football Manager 2009, Intel decided to do some benchmarking on the game to see how the game utilised Intel's multi-core technology.

The results were so impressive that Intel approached Sports Interactive to ask whether they could use the game to show people the power of multi-core processors, with processing speeds in the game massively speeding up according to the number of cores in the PC's processor.

We're very proud to be working with Intel, and have integrated some of their technology into the 9.3 patch and data update for the game, which is why you can now see how many cores your processor has on the status screen of the game, as well as a battery indicator for those of you playing the game on laptops. We will be working with them long term to improve performance even more on Intel multi-core chipsets.

We're also very proud of the results of the tests which Intel did, which prove that Football Manager 2009 is one of the best utilisers of multi-core technology on the market, and not just with current technology, but with future technology aswell.

To celebrate this, we have partnered up with Intel for this months FM Club prize. More details on that will follow as soon as the email has been sent out....

After the release of Football Manager 2009, Intel decided to do some benchmarking on the game to see how the game utilised Intel's multi-core technology.

The results were so impressive that Intel approached Sports Interactive to ask whether they could use the game to show people the power of multi-core processors, with processing speeds in the game massively speeding up according to the number of cores in the PC's processor.

We're very proud to be working with Intel, and have integrated some of their technology into the 9.3 patch and data update for the game, which is why you can now see how many cores your processor has on the status screen of the game, as well as a battery indicator for those of you playing the game on laptops. We will be working with them long term to improve performance even more on Intel multi-core chipsets.

We're also very proud of the results of the tests which Intel did, which prove that Football Manager 2009 is one of the best utilisers of multi-core technology on the market, and not just with current technology, but with future technology aswell.

To celebrate this, we have partnered up with Intel for this months FM Club prize. More details on that will follow as soon as the email has been sent out....

:( I have an AMD Athlon processor though? Does that mean that I wont be allowed to enter the competion? I hope the work you do will be compatible with all dual core processors (unless the prize is a shiny new PC, in which case I hope I win :D)

I have to say it is very good to be able to see what your machine is actually doing with its cores and I do like the battery icon even though Im normally playing windowed anyway;)

Happens to me too. I believe this is under review. Could you post your system specs here so that it can be reported?

(motherboard, processor type and speed, ram, operating system and maybe gfx card, I guess that would do).

These are some of my specs:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 3

Memory (RAM): 2047 MB

CPU Info: Genuine Intel® CPU T2600 @ 2.16GHz

CPU Speed: 1013,8 MHz

Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS | NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0YD479

Well Miles that is very, very good that you have struck a partnership with Intel and I can tell the difference in FM when I disable/enable Threading in the prefs.

However, I believe you may need to look at just how well it is using multicore as the temperature of the CPU and Systems of a lot of people has risen dramatically.

I, being very cautious, set my laptop to switch off at 90 degrees (40-50 should be the norm) and with FM and only FM this occurs.

CPUs and systems cannot maintain without long term damage running FM and causing the rise in temperature that we see.

I think nbrocky confirmed he gets this issue too.

It might be wise to try and limit the CPU power used with some interruptions to allow the CPU not to be worked like it is.

But very impressive that you have achieved this with Intel!

• SI Staff
I got the email, but for the life of me I can't work out how to actually enter the competition.

If you are a member of FM Club, you are automatically entered into the prize draw.

Well Miles that is very, very good that you have struck a partnership with Intel and I can tell the difference in FM when I disable/enable Threading in the prefs.

However, I believe you may need to look at just how well it is using multicore as the temperature of the CPU and Systems of a lot of people has risen dramatically.

I, being very cautious, set my laptop to switch off at 90 degrees (40-50 should be the norm) and with FM and only FM this occurs.

CPUs and systems cannot maintain without long term damage running FM and causing the rise in temperature that we see.

I think nbrocky confirmed he gets this issue too.

It might be wise to try and limit the CPU power used with some interruptions to allow the CPU not to be worked like it is.

But very impressive that you have achieved this with Intel!

Intel did these tests, rather than ourselves.

If nbrocky is aware, I presume it's been logged and will be looked into in the future.

For the record, I play the game on 2 laptops - one dual core, and one quad core, and whilst the dual core gets hot sometimes, the quad core doesn't at all. But then not many are lucky enough to have a quad core laptop (sometimes making games for a living has some perks ;))

However, the dual core laptop can get hot doing email too. I guess it's down to the way the machines are built as much as anything, but don't personally know about the in's and outs of limiting processor usage.

If you are a member of FM Club, you are automatically entered into the prize draw.

Intel did these tests, rather than ourselves.

If nbrocky is aware, I presume it's been logged and will be looked into in the future.

For the record, I play the game on 2 laptops - one dual core, and one quad core, and whilst the dual core gets hot sometimes, the quad core doesn't at all. But then not many are lucky enough to have a quad core laptop (sometimes making games for a living has some perks ;))

However, the dual core laptop can get hot doing email too. I guess it's down to the way the machines are built as much as anything, but don't personally know about the in's and outs of limiting processor usage.

It may be something to test with FM10 as more feature will no doubt be added.

Feel free to send your quadcore laptop to me for testing..... :)

Just found a potential bug with the battery icon:

battery.th.jpg

I hadn't plugged my charger in, when I started playing, but then I decided to plug it in so I didn't have to get up during the rugby, but the icon next to continue didn't change from 42%, despite my battery being 100%.

FYI, the icon in the TV match view is correct.

Like the others guys, my processor usage gadget isn't working properly, it only shows a unique yellow line at 0%.

My laptop is Acer TravelMate 5720G, my specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bits SP1

Mobile Intel® PM965 Express Chipset

Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 2x1.80 GHz

4 Gb RAM (I supose it uses 3,5)

ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 2400 XT with up to 1024 MB of HyperMemory™ (256 MB of dedicated GDDR2 VRAM, up to 768 MB of sharing system memory) supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 9 and PCI Express®

Any idea? Thanks, greetings from Spain.

By the way, great work with the last patch.

My 3D pitch stutters when I unplug the laptop from power supply... Anyone got any ideas why and how to sort this?

Does your laptop go into a power saving mode when you are only on battery power. I think most laptops are set by default to cut power usage down by dropping performance, usually 3D.

imo, what a waste of time adding in a power meter and battery life, useless gimmicks along the lines of Fifa manager

Wow, SI add something useful for laptop users and people just moan? Hardly gimmicky is it to see how much battery you have left when in full screen, espec. as FM is now a 3D app and will take more battery. :mad:

My 3D pitch stutters when I unplug the laptop from power supply... Anyone got any ideas why and how to sort this?

Plug the power back in - I expect the conserve battery power feature reduces power available to the graphic card. You'll also have seen the screen dim with the power out

Archived