9.3 coaching stars - What's the formula?

SiN8

Coaching stars has been revamped in 9.3 code. My previous 7-star coaching staff are now all 4 to 5 stars in 9.3. Below is SI's explanation.

---------------------

The training star system rates coaches on their overall coaching ability for that area of coaching. It takes into account the more relevant stats such as Motivation, Determination and Level of Discipline as well as his coaching skill for that area. This means rubbish coaches with just one great stat can't be seven star coaches.

Put simply, the stars now mean coaching regime quality.

---------------------

So I'd like to ask SI as to the exact formula for a 7 star coach in each position. It was already complicated enough in 9.2. Why are we making it even harder? At least there should be a filter in the search that calculates the stars automatically!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he meant reputation, he meant "world class" as in having the neccessary stats for a 7* regime, which is no longer the case.

& yea that is what i meant....because i have had "world class" coaches who have had less than 7* schedules

when i said world class originally i meant i had a complete 7* schedule, but it has now turned to 4/5* like most people are reporting

ok cheers for clearing that up.....but I still wouldn't mind my previous training setup back :p

I prefer it this way, it was too easy to get a 7* regime and benefits were questionable.

Now 7* will hopefully make a significant difference, but we'll just have to be patient while it's worked out as I doubt SI will give the numbers.

patience is a virtue...but i just can't be bothered working it out lol

judging by original quote...i'd guess and say the original formula works,, but coaches must now have better stats for determination and motivation etc etc....maybe i'll sit down soon and try and hire some coaches with better stats than my current bunch and see if it makes the difference

• Administrators

Yeah now 4-5*'s is a very good solid coaching set-up, whilst 6-7* is world class. Before you may have had seven star coaches but it was really pretty much cosmetic, it now works much better in the sense it gives you an idea exactly the sort of level your coaches and regimes are performing at.

It also kinda solves another annoyance of mine, that every year, after the season changeover date, you could pretty much get seven star coaches for every coaching stat, just on the regen coaches as you always got them with at least 18-19 for one area even if the other stats were crap. Thats no use now as it depends on quite a few more than one stat.

It also makes it much harder for you to get a top coaching setup unless you are a top club, before you could be in the blue square south, but still have 7 star coaches everywhere, particularly when regens came in!

Yeah now 4-5*'s is a very good solid coaching set-up, whilst 6-7* is world class. Before you may have had seven star coaches but it was really pretty much cosmetic, it now works much better in the sense it gives you an idea exactly the sort of level your coaches and regimes are performing at.

So what you're saying is that, now, they're not performing any worse. We're just getting a clearer picture of how they are (and were) actually performing. Our "all 7s" staff weren't really coaching at an "all 7" level...

Right?

I think it was a horrible idea to change the formula so it affects a current game. It should only come into effect when you start a new game. I spent a lot of money on certain coaches who are on long-term contracts and they are all now mediocre rather than world class. This seriously ruins my game because my team doesn't have very much $. I honestly think there should be a patch which fixes this.

• Administrators

The thing is, if we release a patch to fix this, it'll just make the stars back to seven, it won't actually improve your training regime at all. It was a cosmetic fix which has made training take the stats (correctly) into account. You always had poor coaches, it's just now more obvious.

The thing is, the old ratings did not actually corrospond to the effect the training had on your players.

They will have the same effect on your players like they did before, just they won't show as being maxed out as other factors are more important than what has been shown in previous versions.

It's just an interface change really, to give you a better guide of what coaching would give the best results, The old one did not.

I'm all for the change, but the annoying part is that there is not a single staff in my game (2018) with 15 in both determination, motivation and level of discipline. If I drop it down to 14, I get a few scouts and a physio with those stats but no coaches. Dropping it as low as 13 finally yields a single youth coach employed by West Ham. If the emphasis is so big on those attributes shouldn't there be some more good coaches in the world with higher stats?

How many world class coaches exist in the world? It was far to simple to get 7* coaches before, there should only be a few in the game.

I have managed to get 5* coaches in every game I have tried the new system on, they are all coaches that would have been 7* before. I have also found a few 6* but the top rated coaches are very rare.

• Administrators

I believe you can also combine coaches to a schedule to improve it, two coaches who complement each other (a decent motivator with a great defensive coach) could get you more stars for example.

Tbf searching for coaches is a royal pain in the arse. I just feel like I cant be arsed with FM anymore. Im going to use an editor to get my present coaches up to the required standard. I have a real job as welll as playing FM you know!

i know how you feel, as if it wasnt already bad getting decent staff, its now even more "annoying" --and why does from 920 onwards, when you do a search, it puts managers in there, 910 never did that!

To pick coaches, use the old criteria. Then sort by mental stats and sign those with the highest determination, motivation and level of discipline. Chances are they will be 5* or higher. If your unlucky maybe 4*. Your old coaches which you were all happy with because they game showed as 7* were really only 2/3*'s.

have a new 930 game with everton, did a search for tactics = 18 then filtered by mental stats, out of 17, the only ones with decent mental stats are.. managers!

well done SI, screwed this pooch havent you?

edit: just for fun i added myself as barca manager with the same criteria, same results pretty much. there is probably 1 maybe 2 coaches in the game who are anywhere near decent to give 5/6 stars..

have a new 930 game with everton, did a search for tactics = 18 then filtered by mental stats, out of 17, the only ones with decent mental stats are.. managers!

well done SI, screwed this pooch havent you?

I started a new game on 9.3 and got a 6* tactic coach.

Filter 18 for tactics. Filter coaches. Look for best level of discipline/determination.

Brian Horton, the Hull Assistant Manager

signed for me as a coach, his a 6*. If not go down to 16 tactical. If they have good mental stats will still be a 5/6* coach.

he comes out at 6 stars you're right but the only people with decent mental stats are seemingly assmans or managers and 95% of them wont go to coach level if they're good.

if you're saying go down to 16 plus good mental stats, that goes against all thats been drilled into us from previous games where tact 18+ is a 7 star coach.

edit: i think all this change does is advocate the bug where you sign managers or assistant (who rule the roost when it comes to mental stats) as an assman then offer him a contract as a coach. that seems to be the only way you're going to get a decent backroom staff!

I swear i remember someone telling me that mental stats only affected assistant managers, not coaches, i used to always choose coaches with good mental stats, but in the end i just chose ones with good technical coaching skills and it was still 7 star

I swear i remember someone telling me that mental stats only affected assistant managers, not coaches, i used to always choose coaches with good mental stats, but in the end i just chose ones with good technical coaching skills and it was still 7 star

Well everyone was wrong and you were right (in 2009 anyway), the interface lied to us :-)

From what I understand the change just now shows the true ability of the coach where as before it showed 7* even if the coach was awful. If you were happy with the coaches you had before then keep them because they are not worse than they were before the patch, it has now allowed you to see truly how good your coaches are.

A 16 tactical coach on the old system would have been 6*'s, it can still be 6*'s with decent mental stats. As nbrocky said earlier

4-5*'s is a very good solid coaching set-up, whilst 6-7* is world class.
with this in mind I aim to get 5* coaches across the board.

but then why have 7 star ratings if its largely going to be unobtainable by 99.9% of staff?

ricardo moniz

was considered in past games and pre 930 patch to be a shoe-in for a 7 star set piece coach but in 930, hes a 6 but if you look at his stats and compare, noone else who is obtainable (you're not going to get recognised manager to come to you, even if you are at a top club, as an assman) comes close to the technical stats he has, so if you try and add the mental stats to the set piece stats, you're not going to get anyone.

i wouldnt have a problem with this if coaches had some halfway decent mental stats, it not like coaches all over the world are incompetent mentally!

The thing is, if we release a patch to fix this, it'll just make the stars back to seven, it won't actually improve your training regime at all. It was a cosmetic fix which has made training take the stats (correctly) into account. You always had poor coaches, it's just now more obvious.

To be honest...with this post you make me (and some other people probably) fell like I was cheated.

We all wanted to have 7 stars coaches and nobody told us that it's not their quality. I mean if nothing is changed...and this is just cosmetic, visual change,...you should tell people that 7 stars don't represent quality!!!

Shame on SI.

Also...give us formula for new system.

If you go a season you get the regen coaches, I find these are more likely to have higher coach ratings than the current ones. The coach you mentioned is a 6* as nbrocky mentioned earlier that is a world class coach.

When your a top class team the most stars your players have are 4*/5* with the odd 6* to actually have a 7* player is extremely rare and its the same with coaches.

Archived