shirt number 13, among other superstitions

with the second friday the 13th of the year coming up (second of 3!), it struck me, do my players who are assigned the shirt number 13 play better or worse?,we all know of the famous micheal ballack who plays in no. 13 for club and country and he has won titles.

so basically, do you assign players number 13 on fm?has anyone thought about this and does anyone actually think it affects their players?

I would also like to hear any other weird superstitions that are fm related. Persoanlly, i always have the cursor in a certain place on the screen whilst watching the 2d pitch

thanks in advance

gc777

I only give the number 13 to my goalkeeper, and hate giving players squad numbers over 40.

Same here, although my shirt limit is 35!

As a youngster i used to think squad number used to depend on your importance to the club.

I sometimes put this into my game saves

I tend to assign a favourite player at the time the number 15 cos that's my favourite number and the number I had when I played myself. IDK whether this is what everybody else thinks but I think in a way the first 11 are position set (1-GK, 2-RB, 3-LB, 4-DM, 5-CB, 6-CB, 7-AM, 8-ST, 9-ST, 10-LM, 11-RM) so I tend to do that in my team. I think the numbers thing comes from how LUFC (my team, no jokes please) had/have their numbers. It seems like they are natural to me! Also some numbers seem to me more Striker numbers (17 and 19 e.g.) and other's have more of a defender feel, again this comes from LUFC!

I also tend to do my numbers, then leave a 10 number or so gap for my signings, then have some youths with squad number, ones that would get a look in if injuries were rife in a certain position.

I only give the number 13 to my goalkeeper, and hate giving players squad numbers over 40.

Hehe, you'd absolutely despise my numbering system, then. After the squad have played at least one season, I have a base to work from...

Whoever is voted as Fans' Player of the Year gets the 21 shirt (lucky number)

The players voted in the "Best XI" for the season get numbers 1-11, goalkeeper sub gets 12, other subs get 14-19.

Other survivors from the previous season take shirts 20 and 22+ as and when they actually get a game

Youngsters in their first season having been brought up from the youth academy get 99 down (99, 98, 97 etc. until all of the newly promoted players have been assigned numbers)

New signings get 50+ (with larger squads this may become 60+)

Players brought in on loan get 75+ (with larger squads this may become 80+)

In a 9.2.0 game as Dover manager almost everyone playing in each of my games when I got promoted to the BSP had a squad number in the 50s or 60s :D

13 is my key striker, 13 and 9, obviously.

I use 3 numbering systems, depending on who/which league im in...

I only asign 25 numbers straight off, players without a number will get a number once they play- Lower Leagues (because of the smaller squads)

or 1-25 first team 30-39 loanees 40+ youth team - Premiership

or alphabetically if I cant be arsed with assigning numbers, a few years back Eirik Bakke was number 1 for Leeds and Beckford was 2.

13 goes to my reserve keeper and i usually give 'special' players the number 10 and number 7. My best centre half gets the number 4 as that's my number and position. Any other 'special' players get the numbers 20 or 30 to let them think they're twice or three times as good as the number ten :D At least that's what i'm told the professional players mentality is.

Archived