Retire shirt numbers

I know its not a major issue but i think in FM09 you should be able to retire certain shirt numbers of players who have perhaps been at the club thier whole career or something like that i.e. Maldini or Foe etc...

Would make a nice touch dont you think?

I had the immense Christopher Samba at Sunderland in my game and retired his number 5 shirt when he retired only to forget about it in the next season and i ended up giving his number to some random regen pillock.

Annoyed the hell out of me!!!

Should be some sort of permanent function in my opinion

It rarely happens in football, and you can do it yourself by not giving the number to someone so no need imo.

I think Andy Carroll has earnt having his number retired now. He is 9 goals away from having more than Bloomer.

I think it would be a great idea to be able to do it properly. But as he said, it isn't all that important.

I'd like to see players make a bigger fuss over over their player numbers as well. SI said they were looking into introducing this 2 seasons back, but as far as I can see it's not there yet icon_frown.gif

It would be a nice feature to see in the media (providing it wasnt brought up every game repeatedly) to see my squad at newcastle contesting each other for the famed number 9 shirt or to see Man U have made a big signing for their number 7 shirt with some kind of history to the shirt with Best Cantona, beckham, Ronaldo etc..

The media section needs to be completely overhauled anyway. It's ont eh right tracks with the overview page, but to repetitive. Needs to be more like USM back int he 90's with interesting and different stories each week, lots of mis quotes , some general player statements etc.

Maybe just when the player in question announces to retire the game then recongises if hes had a major role, eg, captian for years and years, mass amount of goals and so forth.

The board can then send you an email giving you the option if you would like to retire the players shirt number and ofcourse he would be high up on the clubs favoured personal. Wouldnt happen alot maybe once or twice in a game going to 2030.

? Just an idea

Milan have said they will retire maldini's number 3 shirt when he retires and it will only ever come back into action if his son plays for them....

maybe if a player has served for 10-15 years or something then it could become an active feature for a club. obviously you wouldnt do it for a player who has played like 3-4 seasons

I'd like to see certain shirt numbers having special effects, maybe fan reaction to giving a certain number to a player, or player reaction to getting said number. For instance, when I manage Southampton, I always make sure the legendary number 7 goes to a really good player.

Originally posted by Some guy....:

Yes it has, a lot of times. Though a lot of these have been due to tragic death of a player.

...which makes its inclusion in FM mostly pointless as players don't die in FM.

"a lot of times" is quite a stretch as well. Considering numbered shirts have been around quite a while there is still an insignificant number of retired shirts.

Definitely something I would like to see included. Sure you can just "not use" the number, but thats easy to forget.

Me personally in one save, had a regen by the name of Paul Wallace. His shirt number was 17 from day 1, to the day he retired 23 seasons later. He scored 1069 Club goals for my squad, and to retire his number would have been a great way to sign him off.

As someone mentioned, I think only after a certain milestone should the option be avaliable (I.E - 20 consecutive seasons, 700+ Appearances, 1,000+ Goals) - but definitely something I'd like to see.

Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Shirt numbers don't play a big part for me anyway. I was at Spurs for 10 years, and I couldn't tell you what number my star man wore for those 10 years. Could have been 9, could have been 99.

Probably wasn't 99 though, right icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah that's quite a memorable one :p

I've recently bought a Turkish goalkeeper and felt the urge to give him the number 88. Thats the only squad number I can think of, off the top of my head. Doubt there would be much point in retiring the number 88!

I tend to do what a few players have done IRL. When a number is taken, (I have players keep numbers, btw, and never change them, even if they become a superstar and are wearing 32) - I offer new players 81 for a striker, say (so its 8+1) = 9. just makes it feel a little more authentic icon_biggrin.gif

i think retired shirt numbers should be included.

i dont think it should be able to do though (unless through an editor)

basically include the retired numbers in the game

(31 Ray Jones) at Q.P.R

but dont add the feature of retireing (sp) one.

because it would limit the numbers

like if your no. 10 was amazing you woulndt retire it because of the status of a no. 10 at some clubs.

i think include all ready retired numbers.

Abilty to add in the editor

icon_smile.gif sorry for this maybe going no where, had a few drinks icon_smile.gif

i am a fan of this, but it can get a bit out of hand.

i'd prefer the option of testimonials or just being able to hold a press conference at the end praising the retiring player.

this isn't just for guys that have spent years at a club, but for those that made a massive impact, for example in 1 FM07 game as Sunderland on my first season in the EPL I signed Ryan Giggs who was (i think) around 35 to the club, he took over as captain and was inspirational. he kept us up for 2 seasons before retiring. sunderland was on his fav club list and so was i (i kept praising him) in this situation i would've loved to have played Man U in a testimonial for Giggs.

just my thought anyway.

Originally posted by AB-forever:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I have players keep numbers, btw, and never change them, even if they become a superstar and are wearing 32

That's what I do icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too!

And I never give a player a shirt 1-11 unless I expect him to be a first team regular straight away.

At some clubs I've been at for a while this ends up with there being nobody employed at the club with a shirt number below 12

Originally posted by Box:

I'd like to see players make a bigger fuss over over their player numbers as well. SI said they were looking into introducing this 2 seasons back, but as far as I can see it's not there yet icon_frown.gif

AFAIK researchers are being asked to set favourred squad numbers for players- perhaps this is a new feature?

(Source:Norbaek, head researcher for Denmark)

Originally posted by nick...:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AB-forever:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I have players keep numbers, btw, and never change them, even if they become a superstar and are wearing 32

That's what I do icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too!

And I never give a player a shirt 1-11 unless I expect him to be a first team regular straight away.

At some clubs I've been at for a while this ends up with there being nobody employed at the club with a shirt number below 12 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't do that though icon_biggrin.gif I have a group of players outside of the first team squad that I give a number as well as those in my first team squad. When new players "enter" this group I just give them the lowest "free" squad numbers. This sometimes leads to reserve teamers or youth players with low numbers.

Originally posted by Ched:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Some guy....:

Yes it has, a lot of times. Though a lot of these have been due to tragic death of a player.

...which makes its inclusion in FM mostly pointless as players don't die in FM.

Imagine if a regen 10-15 years in did die. FM was so real that sometimes your players (only regens) got arrested, or drug bands, or sometimes(rarely) had a car crash!

lol

"a lot of times" is quite a stretch as well. Considering numbered shirts have been around quite a while there is still an insignificant number of retired shirts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by sydfc4ever:

i'd prefer the option of testimonials or just being able to hold a press conference at the end praising the retiring player.

i'm definitely a fan of the testimonial. its been suggested before but SI don't seem to pick up on it. can't be that difficult to add in.

only numbers i have retired is No11 at Man Utd and No3 at AC Milan

this sounds like a great idea

itd have to be reserved for a club legend though

shearer demanded no. 9 when he went to newcastle, thatd be a great touch too

its the little bits like this, that might only occur once or twice in a career game that would change fm from a good game into a great game

otherwise it all becomes a bit repetitive

Archived