Question: European v. American language

I live in the United States and purposely bought and downloaded Football Manager 2009, rather than Worldwide "Soccer" Manager, as Football is commonly referred to in America. I did this because I own FM08 and rather enjoyed all the English flavor and sayings, for example, saying "pitch" rather than "Field", or "Fixtures" versus "Matches." To my disappointment, when I loaded up my FM09 it uses terms such as "soccer", "matches", and "field", etc. Just wondering why this is, considering I bought Football Manager? Is it because I live in the States, or that I listed my nationality as American?

I know it's not a huge deal but just curious? Thanks.

I live in the United States and purposely bought and downloaded Football Manager 2009, rather than Worldwide "Soccer" Manager, as Football is commonly referred to in America. I did this because I own FM08 and rather enjoyed all the English flavor and sayings, for example, saying "pitch" rather than "Field", or "Fixtures" versus "Matches." To my disappointment, when I loaded up my FM09 it uses terms such as "soccer", "matches", and "field", etc. Just wondering why this is, considering I bought Football Manager? Is it because I live in the States, or that I listed my nationality as American?

I know it's not a huge deal but just curious? Thanks.

Change the language in the Preferences screen to UK English if you want European terminology. :)

It probably recognised you lived in the States when downloading so that is why.

I think you can change the language to UK English.

Unfortunately, I think what happens is that Steam automatically sets the game language to US English regardless of region, simply because Valve is an American company. I do not live in the States and I experienced the same situation when I downloaded my FM 2009.

Easily rectified though, so no biggie at all.

I have the WWSM version of the game and set everything to English.To me it just makes more sense to have all football terminology in proper English (I even set the currency to British pounds rather than US dollar).

The only thing I don't change is the height, weight, and weather as I can't convert stone, CM, and C temperature to the appropriate Yank mesaurements in my head.

Thanks guys, I will try changing the preferences to UK English (I thought that might be the problem because I remember selecting just "English" at the beginning. I bought the game off Gamersgate (which is a European site) so Steam should have nothing to do with it. I purposely didn't buy from Steam because it kept directing me to Worldwide Soccer Manger when I typed in Football Manager.

Thanks guys, I will try changing the preferences to UK English (I thought that might be the problem because I remember selecting just "English" at the beginning. I bought the game off Gamersgate (which is a European site) so Steam should have nothing to do with it. I purposely didn't buy from Steam because it kept directing me to Worldwide Soccer Manger when I typed in Football Manager.

Ah right, my mind did not make the connection even after reading that you had steered clear away from WSM and had bought FM. Oops! :o

Archived