Going back to FM07

Finally going back to FM07 after a semi-enjoyable few months on FM09. I lasted longer on 09 than 08, which I could only take for 2 weeks until i went back to 2007. In my opinion, if you want to make FM better you have to cut out all the crap that is bloating it. I have a failry decent computer, 1gb of ram, but FM09 runs so so so slow that it takes me a week to finish a season whereas on 07 it would take me a night - simply becauseof loading times. I don't really get it either, because there doesn't seem to be much added on to the game in terms of what I can see?

What I did like about 09 thats not in 07 - just little things like "Best 11", regens being good for a change, being able to sell players more easily, saving and loading games seems quicker. Assistant reports is a good idea for matches too, but usually they say things that I disagree with.. I ugess that could be a good thing considering everyone isn't perfect - thats all i can think of off the top of my head

What I hated about 09 - the match engine is awful, so bad that I went back to commentary only. It looks nothing like a football match in terms of player movement.. 07's is much better and more realistic imho. The loading time between screens is really slow, so bad that I have to go away from my computer for 2 minutes at a time to wait just to mov e 6 hours ahead in gametime. Press conferences are abysmal and I can't see them improving considering the fact that features like team-talks have never been improved - although if SI actually tried they could make it an enthralling feature, just like teamtalks could have been.

This is all just off the top of my head but if I think of anymore i'll post some more.. would be interested to hear from other people who think 07 is the best version of FM too and what they think is good and bad about 09

Hm, i partially agree with you. I also hate FM09, but it's because my computer isn't decent enough. Just like you, i don't understand why the game needs that much systemresources, even if you play in the classic view.

BUT if my computer would be better, i would reconsider my opinion, but for the moment: **** fm09 and let's praise fm07!

Well it could be good if there was actually good questions that were realistic instead of the same crap you get all the time.. its the same with team-talks - i mean, for a game that promotes itself on realism, how does it get away with this crap 3 years in a row without changing it? Do you think Ferguson goes in at half time and says "For the fans!" and thats why Man U are so good?

I think part of the problem is that sometimes the options selected have an unnatural effect too.

It's just repetitive, but it's not something I'd want to see SI waste any time on either, I'd like to be able to simply turn it off.

Some might say ignore it, and indeed, come Saturday when 9.3 is all downloaded I shall likely start a game and simply ignore all press conferences.

I certainly can't trust Sammy Lee, he keeps telling everyone Chelsea will win the league.

the press conferences are a great idea, but they really need to get more questions, the feature "walk out" never gets used, the press are supposed to wind you up and i think players should be involved in the conference with you, basically more than anything, there should be alot more questions and answers

well at least this thread isnt a complete rant like usual... it actually has some good points that are constructive...

I love fm 09.... and i love the engine... what they've managed with it is fantastic considering what the competition has been able to achieve.

And i love the tactical side of the game... once you understand how the tactics work you can creat wonderful formations and watch them unfold jsut how you wanted them too.

I do think SI have been lazy as hell with press conferences , team talks and the like though... they seem to have little to know effect and become tedious very quickly.

well at least this thread isnt a complete rant like usual... it actually has some good points that are constructive...

I agree.

And I agree that I might like 2009 a lot more if it worked smoothly on my computer (no matter what I download or update, 2D remains choppy) - and my computer is not that old! (bought it in 2006)

But one thing I really liked about 2007 was how smooth it was, throughout the day-to-day processing to playing out the games themselves. It's hard to explain, but it was just more enjoyable than the last two have been.

Unfortunately, my CD player has stopped working and I haven't gotten around to seeing if I can fix it (I just have the CD version of the 2007 game). So just 2008/2009 for me right now (mostly 2008 because of the 2D choppy match engine I have on my computer).

FM2007 is terrific. I've been going around 30 seasons in my current game.

I'm not overly concerned about the graphical aspect of 09, because I just run it as commentary only. The press conferences are a real problem though, and I can only hope for a substantial expansion. I suspect the next version will focus on improving what is already there rather than adding new features.

What I hated about 09 - the match engine is awful, so bad that I went back to commentary only. It looks nothing like a football match in terms of player movement.. 07's is much better and more realistic imho. The loading time between screens is really slow, so bad that I have to go away from my computer for 2 minutes at a time to wait just to mov e 6 hours ahead in gametime. Press conferences are abysmal and I can't see them improving considering the fact that features like team-talks have never been improved - although if SI actually tried they could make it an enthralling feature, just like teamtalks could have been.

I agree with the above comment some of the game coverage is pants..not realistic at all!!1(the one that gets me is when an opposition player runs down the flank even if my full back has him covered another 2/3 players move out of position towards him usually both c.b.'s leaving a massive gap in the middle............looks pathetic!!!!! if that happened for real would get hammered opposition would have a clear run to goal if ball crossed)

but think 09 is a step up from 08.......found 07 easy to play but it quickly became too easy!

Archived