Bug or coincidence

everytime i qualify for the champions league first round knockout stage i always draw Lyon, the only time i didn't is when they didn't qualify for the champions league.

it's now four out of five seasons straight, but don't forget once they didn't qualify.

coincidence? :confused:

Very strange then.

Could just be a different form of the 'local teams drawing each other' bug. However, it could just be coincidence because the Champions League First Knockout round is different to other competitions like the FA and League Cups in that finishing first in the group allows you the advantage of playing a team that's finished second in theirs. The domestic cups (in England at least) are just drawn straight out of a hat with no advantage given to anyone.

I'm now going with coincidence and changing the standpoint I took in my previous post, lol.

Nothing to do with fm09, but i thought i'd share this with you.:)

on fm07 i was a long term liverpool manager, till 2012 or 13 possibly, and every time i would beat man utd away. you may be thinking what a good manager i am but the fact is that i would score a last minute free kick or screamer/ they would hit post from 6 yards out at the death. just seemed like a strange coincedence for that many concecutive seasons. brilliant though, coz i hate man u:D

I actually mentioned this exact same thing in the beta forum. I was Spurs and drew Lyon something like 5 or 6 times, it appears it's just coincidence as I never drew them in the next 8 seasons in league or knock out round.

I'm convinced there is a problem with the draw :rolleyes:, I've been drawn in the same group as the holders in my three appearances in the CL.

I'm sure it's just to do with country protection and seeding. There are 32 teams for the group stages but due to legislation, half of those teams can't draw the other half, if you know what I mean. Look at Liverpool's group draw IRL, almost every year now we are drawing PSV, Marseilles and another random team. That's just the way it is, sadly.

Haven't UEFA brought out new rules regarding the draws in the new format Champions League?

I'm pretty sure I read a while ago that the Scottish team who finishes 2nd will always be drawn against either a French, German, English, Italian or Spanish team in the Champions league qualifiers. Basically, the league co-efficient will now be used as opposed to the clubs co-efficient with regards to seeding.

I can't be too sure if this was just a Platini proposal or wether they actually decided to go ahead with it.

Ive been drawn with Juventus 4 seasons in a row and out of those 4 seasons i have been drawn with Sporting Lisbon in the same group for 3 years !

I say scrap the group stages all together and go back to the old fashioned 2 legs of the 80`s :) Oh, we can`t have that though as the tv companies wouldn`t be making as much money.

Archived