Review?? please help me

Hiya all i have followed Fm for a few years but for some reason didnt take up fm 2009 after a fall out with fm 2008.

I just want to know if in your view all the patches and improvements have made 2009 a good game again?

I know some people will probably say try it and find out but its a bit late once you have made the purchase.

So if you could take 2 mins to give me your honest view i will be in your debt

Thanx

When I first got it on release (and after 2 hours of struggling to activating it) I immediately disliked it. Found it too difficult and slow.

But once you get Patch 1 and Patch 2, learn to cope with the bump in difficulty level, it's better than all previous editions. That's what I think anyway - hope it helps Frithnick. :thup:

I took a break from the FM series for 3 years and came back in late November 08. As of now, patch 9.2, the game is fun for a two or three seasons in the English leagues but has very big bugs which severely limit my enjoyment of it. The match engine itself has some glitches but nothing major - the bugs are elsewhere.

Hopefully 9.3 will sort things out and I'll start a new game without coming across a bug so major that it kills a career game. Personally, I'd say wait the week or so until after 9.3 is out before buying if 9.2 doesn't seem polished enough for you. In future, I'll be waiting til after the 'last' patch before picking up the game too.

Right now (using the 9.0.2 patch) the game is both playable and enjoyable. There are still a number of bugs but hopefully with the pending 9.0.3 patch release, these will be removed and the game will be simply awesome.

I'd advise getting it as it has the potential to be the best FM game in a long time (providing the 9.0.3 patch fulfills everybody's hopes.)

I haven't had a proper career so I'm probably not the person to convey my view. (Waiting for the third patch)

However, I have had a couple of practice seasons and I can say that I've loved it. The so called bugs aren't apparent, they only because real when you read about them on here, so ignorance is indeed bliss. Ok, the Spanish contract thing is an issue, and the bojan bug, and occasionally your players inexplicably stop, allowing the opposition to collect the ball (and score, probably) but I'm hoping that the next patch can eradicate these annomilies.

At first the game is frustrating and irritating but if you dedicate enough time and effort to the tactic side of the game then you'll reap the benefits. Have a little look at this thread, it's brilliant and it'll help you understand the tactical side of FM09:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61144

You may not pick up loads from it, personally I only took flakes from it but sometimes that's enough.

I took months creating my tactics and now I think I'm ready to hit the ground running.

Good luck. :)

cheers slayerx

Have a good read of the page that I linked and spend some time creating tactics. Some people say that this isn't a "plug and play" game, but if you dedicate a certain amount of time to making your tactics then it can sure as hell make it less pernicity as it would be if you didn't create tactics.

Good luck. :)

hey thanx zebedee what happens after 2 seasons?

As AI managers start to retire, they are replaced with ones who are utterly useless. The AI teams can't manage to build decent squads. The Spanish league is bugged with reserve teams signing utter rubbish on ludicrously high contracts which bankrupts the clubs. As you get promoted, your income from things like sponsorships does not increase to reflect that.

So once you're about 2 or 3 seasons in these kind of bugs start to make the game a lot less enjoyable than it should be. Some people can live with that kind of thing - if you're a top flight team who have silverware to mark success then you may not be bothered your opposition is so very, very poor. If you're playing a long-term career game though, these things hamper you enormously.

It's a fun game, just that it's playability is limited for me when I want a long-term game.

Archived