Promotion - unnoticed

I just won promotion with Wolves to the EPL in the first season.

I finished second in the league.

What I get is a news message: "Wolves have won promotion to the English Premier Division."

That's it. Nothing else. No fans celebrating, no happy chairman, just nothing. Windows in Wolverhampton keep closed. The Wolverhampton bar tender association has noticed no unusual behaviour that night.

In my opinion this must be down to the promotion just being achieved by finishing second which is crap! :mad:

I don't know if winning the league is THAT important in England, but I guess then everywhere else at least outside the top division it only matters if you win promotion or not, not if you are 1st, 2nd ord 3rd. The difference between 1st and 2nd is hardly noticed as why should one care?

In FM your reputation gets a major boost and if you started with the best past experience you might even have a continental reputation right away. For just 'ordinary' promotions I hardly notice any effect. Not just in media terms but also for reputation. Even the stats don't show it. The stat for leagues won is way less interesting than the non existent promotions won stat, considering not every league won is a national title won.

I might be wrong with my assumption that the utterly unrealistic lack of ANY feedback after winning promotion is connected to the underestimation of the value of promotion without league wins, but then I uphold my secondary point (which actually annoys me even more than the first) that after so many years I feel now it is time that something is done about this flaw.

No reactions in confidence either? So far in 09 i only won something once (promotion once finishing #2 like you) and fairly certain I got further messages. Of course us getting promoted was somewhat of a surprise, no idea what the situation with wolves was.

i guess it's cos you didn't actually win any silverware? still a bit strange that there was nothing at all

That's what I think too.

But at least in Germany winning a lower division is far less important than winning promotion.

The winner of Div 2 will alway be happier about having won promotion than about having won that worthless 'title' (for which btw in this year a trophy will be introduced for the first time ever).

All I wanted to achieve is to win promotion and I jumped around when I did. I couldn't and still cannot care less about in which league position I won promotion.

And I am convinced that it's the same elsewhere and that appears to be my main point, thinking about what happened.

No reactions in confidence either? So far in 09 i only won something once (promotion once finishing #2 like you) and fairly certain I got further messages. Of course us getting promoted was somewhat of a surprise, no idea what the situation with wolves was.

Nor do I :(

The playoffs are not finished yet. Maybe there will be news items once that happened. Would still be a bit ridiculous if the crowd went mad after 10 days of delay...

The board is happy that we won promotion (playoffs were expected) but the slider isn't far from the middle. Somewhere in the 'good' area, not even very good.

I've won promotion through playoffs and had a massive board and media circus around it, so it certainly sounds odd.

Maybe that's because you had a real 'final' at Wembley. I just had an unspectacular 2-1 away at Blackpool, defending my 3 goals ahead of Sheff U.

The media build-up around the playoffs seems to be fine to me. I guess just the lack for 2nd place is more than odd.

To be honest, one of the game's weakest aspects is the sense of achievement, or lack thereof. Not enough happens and not enough is said when you achieve something. I'd like that to change.

So do I.

In this case however, both issues with this are combined.

Firstly the game fails even to notice that I did something great. And what makes me angry about it is that this has been in there for years, while I think in CM93 it was still fine...

Secondly the lack of valuation leads to the lack of media or other feedback. That's just cosmetic but in this case the atmosphere would surely add somewhat to the personal satisfaction after such achievement (see also the 'we expected that CL win' thread).

My bigger gripe is the first, however.

You should probably uninstall the game, drench the disk in diet coca-cola and leave it hanging for about 30 mins in room termperature. Then smother some peanut butter on it while naked, once thats one then give it to your dog (or any other household pet) to lick off all the peanut butter. Then put it either in the dryer or the microwave until warm.. Then put it back into your CD drive and install the game, patch etc.

Should work fine then.

Must be a reputation thing. I just got Morecambe into the PL (penalty shoot-out in the play-off final) and there was plenty of fuss.

It must be a second place promotion flaw only then as far as the media are concerned.

In terms of achievement I'm not sure too much actually happened after you won promotion.

You should probably uninstall the game, drench the disk in diet coca-cola and leave it hanging for about 30 mins in room termperature. Then smother some peanut butter on it while naked, once thats one then give it to your dog (or any other household pet) to lick off all the peanut butter. Then put it either in the dryer or the microwave until warm.. Then put it back into your CD drive and install the game, patch etc.

Should work fine then.

I AM a superstitious player of the game, but in this case I strongly feel it is more related to the game code. :)

I've won promotion through playoffs and had a massive board and media circus around it, so it certainly sounds odd.

Me too (as Palace). What I did notice however is in the match confidence I got a higher rating for winning 9-0 away to Forfar in a friendly than winning 1-0 against Swansea in the playoff final.

I know 9-0 is more than expected, but large friendly wins against small opposition is nothing like a win at Wembley that gets you promoted.

I also noticed that in the Competitions section getting a couple of rounds further in each cup was considered more of an acheivement than promotion. I think the game underestimates the importance of promotion.

It is not just a 2nd place issue. I've won a league for promotion before without any fanfare. Just one message as OP had.

I would guess it is tied to expectations. I'm fairly sure I was odds on favorite to win the league that year, so maybe there was no joy in something most folks expected. But it still seemed celebration worthy to me.

I was expected to achieve a playoff spot. Thus it was not the biggest surprise ever, but still a slight overachievement.

Anyway, the fans should have been quite happy. I guess there would be few clubs whose fans wouldn't be on the streets after winning promotion back to the EPL.

I don't think we can excuse this as something which happens irl as well (even not rarely).

To be honest, one of the game's weakest aspects is the sense of achievement, or lack thereof. Not enough happens and not enough is said when you achieve something. I'd like that to change.

What he said.What makes everyone of us talk about football is the huge huge attention and media hype give by the media to it.In the game,it is almost non existant

The problem is though, that just doubling the media news items would probably make the game less enjoyable and not more. More media is only good if it doesn't get too repetitive and if it isn't just cosmetic.

So far the media items have been changed around for every new version, but they never added too much to the game. I would wish that maybe one day, items are added instead of replaced. Then it would get less repetitive.

The issue here seems to be a separate one. Confidence, reputation and achievement are flawed and I hope SI realize just how disturbing it feels if that area is flawed. It leads to a constant itch that there is something wrong with the game and it disconnects you from the game world.

Archived