4GB RAM on 32-Bit Vista - what happen's to the extra 1GB

Simple question. Is it wasted?

I seen a post by Peter-Evo who insinuated it could be used on Graphics (if that makes sense)

You can't get full 4gb with 32bit. You need 64bit vista and then you have full 4gt in use.

I was thinking about increasing my RAM from 2gig to 4gig but was worried that the operating system wouldn’t recognise the 1gig leftover, therefore wouldn’t run in dual channel mode as it does at the moment, does anyone know if I upgraded to 4gig it would still run on dual channel even though windows 32bit only recognise 3gig??

You'd also need 64bit windows though, they're not one and the same.

Also this idea that any 32bit system can only use up to 3.5GB is rubbish, the Windows management of RAM means that on a Vista 32bit setup it will only use less than 3.5GB and previous versions of windows have had similar problems, but that's only windows!

The only problem at the moment though is that Vista 64bit is rubbish and poorly supported by developers :(

Here's to Microcost, erm sorry, Microsoft, strip all the junk and release a much better OS with Windoes 7. If not, it's finally time I bought a Mac :)

The only problem at the moment though is that Vista 64bit is rubbish and poorly supported by developers :(

Here's to Microcost, erm sorry, Microsoft, strip all the junk and release a much better OS with Windoes 7. If not, it's finally time I bought a Mac :)

Strange that. I keep hearing how Vista 64-bit is rubbish. I've been using it for the past 6 months, quite intensively, playing games of all kinds, complex graphics operations as well as simpler tasks, and I've never had any problems - be them compatibility related or not. It works like a charm and is more stable than any operating system I've used before (and yes, I do mean the various Windows incarnations, not Linux and the likes - that's a whole other matter).

No offence meant, but have you just heard that it's rubbish and keep repeating it over and over like most people? It was rubbish when first released, but now, in my opinion, it works great.

Strange that. I keep hearing how Vista 64-bit is rubbish. I've been using it for the past 6 months, quite intensively, playing games of all kinds, complex graphics operations as well as simpler tasks, and I've never had any problems - be them compatibility related or not. It works like a charm and is more stable than any operating system I've used before (and yes, I do mean the various Windows incarnations, not Linux and the likes - that's a whole other matter).

No offence meant, but have you just heard that it's rubbish and keep repeating it over and over like most people? It was rubbish when first released, but now, in my opinion, it works great.

Personally I'm mostly a Mac user, but the 64 bit version of Vista is no worse than the 32 bit version now tbh... When the 64bit was first released, it was horribly supported, but that's not the case anymore...

I'm not saying that i *like* Vista, I really don't... but the 64bit is at the same level as the 32 now

Your system is almost certainly capable of running 64bit windows but I wouldn't advise it - I'd stick with 32bit and your 4GB of RAM. A 64bit OS can be a real headache and is best left to hardcore geeks.

Now there's a crock of scaremongering crap. I am one of those geeks - granted, but the 64bit drivers issues, largely bought about by slow ass vendors and third parties, went away about 19 months ago.

I've deployed dozens Vista 64 systems now for people and they all run just fine.

Back on topic

This isn't a Windows problem it's an x86 hardware problem. The memory hole is quite literally invisible to the CPU, no matter what 32-bit operating system you choose.

Addressing more than 4 GB of memory is possible in a 32-bit operating system, but it takes hardware hacks like 36-bit PAE extensions in the CPU, together with nasty software hacks like the AWE API. Unless the application is specifically coded to be take advantage of these hacks, it's confined to 4 GB.

Just move to 64 bit people, it really doesn't bite, and 99.9999% of the time when it does it's operator error anyway.

as someone that has 64bit vista- the driver issue is ********... quite simply there isn't an issue

i agree with the poster above but here are my pro's and con's of 64 bit so you can decide if you want to upgrade or not

pro's

better security on 64 bit OS

better performance

increased ram

you won't go outside again due to running 34 nations and 64 leagues :p

con's

pricy

electric bill increase

updating windows and drivers like anything new :(

like most i had my doubts but i upgraded to vista 64 mainly for a ram increase and a good performing quad core.. i haven't been disappointed yet

FM's not 64 bit.

...and have you not just listed drivers as a Con?

Anything new tends to be very 64bit friendly, but any device from a manufacturer with a clue will have a 64bit driver available these days. Failure to have one is a clear indication you bought the from the wrong vendor.

FM's not 64 bit.

Anything new tends to be very 64bit friendly, but any device from a manufacturer with a clue will have a 64bit driver available these days. Failure to have one is a clear indication you bought the from the wrong vendor.

no i meant updating windows and drivers like at the start of any new OS

and i didn't say fm was 64bit i meant i enjoy the extra ram so i can run tons of nations and a large database with all brazilian players and argentinian players loaded without any problems

no i meant updating windows and drivers like at the start of any new OS

and i didn't say fm was 64bit i meant i enjoy the extra ram so i can run tons of nations and a large database with all brazilian players and argentinian players loaded without any problems

So if I have 32-bit Vista, can FM09 still use the full 4GB RAM?

And to a previous poster, this topic was not to discuss general PC use, it was to find out if I can still take advantage of the 4GB with FM? I've been reading this forum for a while now and if I'm being honest I'm getting sick of people complaining about threads. If you don't have something constructive to say, don't post, especially when others are contributing and being generally very helpful.

FM's not 64 bit.

Exactly any hardware from the last 2-3 years will have 32-bit and 64-bit drivers that are almost always released simultaneously.

And to a previous poster, this topic was not to discuss general PC use, it was to find out if I can still take advantage of the 4GB with FM? I've been reading this forum for a while now and if I'm being honest I'm getting sick of people complaining about threads. If you don't have something constructive to say, don't post, especially when others are contributing and being generally very helpful.

People have been on this place for years moaning for nothing. Its called little moderator syndrome. Ignore them.

I think the simple answer is that FM wont use the full 4gb if you are running a 32bit OS.

no i haven't used the full 4gb, i have a ram increase basically so i can run fm09 with tons of leagues (basically max it out to the best i can do without ruining my gameplay) and also have windows media player and various other apps open at the same time with no problems

People have been on this place for years moaning for nothing. Its called little moderator syndrome. Ignore them.

I think the simple answer is that FM wont use the full 4gb if you are running a 32bit OS.

Ah, gutting. THank you though - very helpful if a little deflating.

The answer (for those that are interested) comes down to simple maths.

A windows 32-bit operating system only has 2^32 (ie 2 power 32) physical mappable address space= 4,294,967,296 bytes- or 4gb. As other's have said, this is for everything (ie graphics cards will take a big chunk).

A windows 64 bit has 2^64 = 18,446,744,073,709,600,000 bytes or 17,179,869,184gb- which is likely to be slightly more than your motherboard is able to hold :)

And, given a choice of a Windows OS right now.. Vista 64 is bar far the best you can get- both for reliability and performance (in newer games). If you can, I would suggest a dual-boot between Vista 64 and XP 32- gives you choices should you want to run an older title.

If you've not got it yet- dont fork out now wait for Windows 7- it is better and not too far away.

windows 7 is vista mark 2,,,, or it is how vista should have been with all the extras taking out bugs fixed and drivers sorted...am test windows 7 and its okay...what do you want from an os...something that is stable and dosent die everytime you add something new to your comp....I have never had a problem with vista and wouldnt go back to xp if you paid me.....But as long as you can get fm to work does it really matter.....it is each to there own..

A windows 64 bit has 2^64 = 18,446,744,073,709,600,000 bytes or 17,179,869,184gb- which is likely to be slightly more than your motherboard is able to hold :)

Actually it doesn't, Microsoft caps it depending on the version of Vista you're using (Home Basic 8GB, Home Premium 16GB and Business/Enterprise/Ultimate at 128GB).

so, if i wanted to upgrade to 64 bit would i need to do anything to my laptop, I currently have 3gb RAM, and a Turion 2.1ghz processor. Is it just a case of getting a copy of the 64 bit and some extra memory? I'm quite liking the possibility of playing with extra leagues.

so, if i wanted to upgrade to 64 bit would i need to do anything to my laptop, I currently have 3gb RAM, and a Turion 2.1ghz processor. Is it just a case of getting a copy of the 64 bit and some extra memory? I'm quite liking the possibility of playing with extra leagues.

it's pointless on a laptop because you can't physically upgrade ram

it's pointless on a laptop because you can't physically upgrade ram

Yes you can.

Its not that its a rubbish OS for general use, for 80% of PC users vista is no real change. Those 20% use the 3rd party progs that only run on XP and dont run on Vista. For those XP is still the OS of choice. Its that issue of some 3rd party programs not working that is letting vista down.

Hope that helps :D

In principle yes. However; two variables to check- firstly what your motherboard can hold in terms of maximum ram (for example, if its DDR ram- the older sort- it may well be capped at 4gb anyhow: if its DDR2 it will probably be capped higher). Secondly; how many DIMM slots you have (for example, if you only have 2 slots and you already have 2x2gb dimms- your already at your limit seeing as I think they are the largest you can get right now). 3gb is a strange amount to have- it may be you have 3x1gb dimms. If that is the case, you could potentially buy 4x2gb=8gb ram. The manual / motherboard manual should give you all the detail you need on these. My only rider is I'm not actually sure how much memory FM uses- and presumably as its still got to crunch all the actual matches played- your processer will have to work hard to calculate them all anyway. So even though it'll be able to hold more (and wont need to write to the page file on your HD)- it is still likely to be sluggish when processing matches.

And said above^- the RAM is the one part they usually leave open so that you can upgrade easily (you shoulf find a seperate chamber / comparment for access). Worth checking though I suppose. Even if not, you can open the whole case up and do it yourself. Its not difficult.

Actually it doesn't, Microsoft caps it depending on the version of Vista you're using (Home Basic 8GB, Home Premium 16GB and Business/Enterprise/Ultimate at 128GB).

Quite right too. I forgot it was capped by MS (another very irritating piece of software engineering, imo). Either way, I like the theoretical max of 16 exabytes- would be quite some motherboard :)

Archived