Just had a weird series of events

IMT

I am managing Zenit, at the end of the 2nd season I play Spartek away last game, a win or draw hands me the title, a win for them gives it to them.

So we go into the 90th minute at 1-1 when they score and nick the title, I am gutted and to be honest slightly bored after 2 years in the Russian league decide it is time to move on. I apply for the Bordeaux job, the Zenit board get wind of this and offer me an ultimatum, resign to save my reputation or be sacked, so although I would rather stay in a job until being offered a new one I resign.

Ok nothing strange so far, apart from the very next day after my resignation, Zenit offer me the position of manager, why would they demand I resign only to offer me the job again the very next day?

Or maybe after issuing the ultimatum they had a sudden change of heart, realised just how much you'd contributed to the club and that actually they'd been unfair on you and were quite prepared to be the bigger man and admit to their mistake.

What? Don't look at me like that. I'm sure that somewhere in the world there's a football club who's board are decent people rather than just money-grabbing tyrants who sack a manager for the pettiest of reasons and refuse to accept any responsibility for their own actions, instead blaming the club's failing entirely on the manager, even though the poor fellow doesn't even get to have a say in which players are bought and sold and really does nothing more than select the squad and tactics for each match, sometimes not even that.

Archived