C'mon guys, let's admit it, FM09 is outstanding

grep

Sorry for the shot in the dark, I am always deeply critic against games but FM09 is almost perfect. Then producers and programmers support the title on the forum.

My best compliments indeed !

P.S. Plz mark that if in the future I'll say something bad vs FM10, thanks

Sorry for the shot in the dark, I am always deeply critic against games but FM09 is almost perfect. Then producers and programmers support the title on the forum.

have they kidnapped you and whisked you away at gunpoint to SI towers to force you to say this?

I'm loving the game, the bugs have been somewhat of a problem like the old injury ones but real teams face those problems from time to time so i lived with it. Most have been patched now and my game is almost perfect (would be better if i could win more than 2 in a spin but hey ho lol)

Others may disagree and no doubt they will post with some swearing in here to tell you your opinions suck. But I like it so thats all that matters tbh.

I llove the game also, and if i hadnt signed up to these forums,i wouldnt have known anything about bugs and data issues and suchlike.

Its only when you come here that you realise how imperfect the game is, and when your playing it, you notice things going wrong and things that shouldn be!

These forums have poisoned my gaming experience, but i still love coming here for the idle chit-chat about the game

Only had the game for a couple of weeks, always pays to wait until it's been patched at least once. Really quite impressed so far, although it could do with a few issues ironing out, hopefully in the final patch ofc.

Another shocking menu system, news being split into 2 sections (wtf?) and unable to sort by date, and a few ME issues are the biggest bugbears for me.

What's the Spain contract bug btw?

random kids will appear in your b team will whopping great big (ie 40k+) contracts that you didnt sign, even when the b team manager is not set to deal with transfers..

Urgh, sounds fixable though. I have read briefly about it now that you mention it. :thup:

random kids will appear in your b team will whopping great big (ie 40k+) contracts that you didnt sign, even when the b team manager is not set to deal with transfers..

You can't tell your assistant to not deal with transfers, you can ask him to not deal with contract renewals. I believe that's why he buys crappy players on huge wages.

jurie's out for me until the final patch comes out. I didn't play for about 6 weeks and have only just got back into an old save. Once you resign yourself to the fact that what we are playing is unfinshed, then the enjoyment factor comes back. Yes the game has the makings of greatness there, let's hope SI do a good job on sorting the issues.

match engine gets worse with every version. Si have decided on how they think football should be played and made everything else irrelevant. In essense, you're playing to beat a game, not to win a football match.

so no, I disagree that the game is outstanding.

tbf, i think the match engine inches forward with every version, i don't see much regression. Managed to get quite into 07 eventually, and there are certainly improvements on that version.

On your second point, well unfortunately FM is a computer game, and will probably never truly re-create a real game of football. It's a shame that building a big, powerful team is still the best route to success, and that different styles of football are not re-created in the game, but it's not that bad for a piece of software. Tactics are still pretty screwed though, some totally illogical combinations required to make certain things work.

Overall i'd say this version is another small improvement, but still some long term problems remain. SI would be well advised to address some of them before adding loads of new cosmetic features next time round.

It's a good game, almost pefect? Nope, why may you ask? Because the same bugs from last years release came creeping back into this years (Injuries anyone?). I can't seem to play outside of England without problems, my Milan save is riddled with injuries I gave it up, Spain as above is really a pain in the arse to play in. 9.0.3 will make things a hell of alot better, but until then I'm still on my United game since England seems alot smoother(When Arsenal aren't beasting about).

Outstanding is going too far I think, athough I am fairly certain it's the best management sim out there atm. However the bug where talented young players randomly leave top clubs at the end of the season (is this the bojan bug?) really messes things up.

Until the AI places more emphasis on young talent it will always be too easy to simply sign up as many talented youngsters as possible and sell them on for enormous profits, thus making the game too easy (for me at least, playing as Newcastle mostly) in the long term.

firstly it's not outstanding to me outstanding is the best it can be and imo it's not there yet

it's very good but with minor improvements to 3D engine, press conferences (eg a less mind numbing experience... like big player signings?) and the spanish contract issues i can see FM2010 being the best installment yet

the game thinks its more intelligent than it is. you do stuff in the game which should trigger a certain reaction but it hasn't been programmed to recognise the link. then in different area's it recognises this. also very bored of the same old board confidence default messages etc, it doesnt take much to input fresh text every year. i've had it since october but only played a coupla hours, gave me a headache and felt stale. i used to be a 12+ hours a day player.

I have to say that I am finding it a lot tougher going than any previous incarnation. Since CM4 I have managed to do exceptionally with whatever club I have managed using variations on one tactic that I created (excluding my Ronaldo tactic for Utd last year, that was ace!). This includes Exeter to the Premiership, Wigan to the CL semis, an alwayss Arsenal domination. Ive never been one for LLM, and have a reasonably short attention span, so often flit between games.

However, this incarnation has found me pretty much flumoxed in the tactics department. As Arsenal, I made a new version of my fave tactic, set my team up. made the signings needed to get the team to the top, and was rubbish! Ihad to go back to the drawing board, figure out a new way to play, try it out and then come back to the game with a new save.

All thats needed now is a bit more player interaction and "management". While tactics is extrememly important, getting your players on your side and thinking in the way you want should be far more important. However, I cannot see this being implemented in a positive way until 2011 at the earliest, probably 12/13. SI will continue to expand upon the current parameters without any major changes to the ME or game play in general, and this is how it should be. Let them concentrate on making an amazing game that evolved brilliantly eevery 3-4 years into something even closer to the perfect simulation of a job that we would all love to have, but maybe don't fully understand...

Finding the game very frustrating, but I still look forward to my twice weekly online game, entering each session with new found confidence and leaving it lurking in mid-table once more:(

Not sure I'd describe it as "outstanding", but it certainly doesn't deserve the amount of abuse some members of the community give it.

I am hoping for better next year, FM2009 gets a 7/10, solid, quite enjoyable and addictive game that can still be much improved on and become a truly great game. Details of my opinions are scattered around other threads:thup:

FM07 is definitely the best yet.

Maybe FM10 can top them all, if there continues to be a good amount of testers then the game could be outstanding.

Agreed

The game is okay, but there are so many small irritating things that pop up all the time, whether in the match engine or in the general game.

As an example, in my career game I got offered to take over Man City in 2011 after Hughes had them sitting at 17th place in November. He'd bought this guy Pogrebnyak, from Zenit, and he was sitting in the reserves, even though he had developed into the the perfect Target Striker a la Drogba.

I immediately decided to build my team around him. So let's sum up what I did:

1: Bring him back into the first team.

2: Built my team around him, with the result that he's averaged more than a goal in my first 5 games in charge, Man City winning all those matches.

3: Played him every minute of those 5 first games

4: Upped his status from Backup To The First Team to Important First Team Player

5: Consistently praised him in the media and in team talks.

After the 5th game he decided to hand in a transfer request because I don't treat him as a first team regular. I don't reckon he's a specifically unprofessional player, so this is simply just a bug, bug, bug, and what's worse it's a bug that should never occur, it should be very easy to anticipate and prevent this sort of bug.

What really kills me is that in his slight concerns it both says that he's disappointed that I don't treat him as a first team player and at the same time that he's waiting to see what effect my recent appointment will have on the team. So this shows that SI have tried to implement a sort of grace period when you take over a new team, as there should be, they've simply just not been very good at doing it and that's problematic to me.

These kinds of bugs are very frustrating to say the least and they really kill a large part of my enjoyment of the game.

My best compliments indeed !

P.S. Plz mark that if in the future I'll say something bad vs FM10, thanks

This had been my most enjoyable FM game to date despite the frustrations around the varies bugs. I've learnt my lesson and will wait till 10.2/10.3 before buying again... leaving my a whole year of proper enjoyment with this game...and no I'm not being cynical!

daneO

In instances like this, I just use a 3rd party editor to change what are obviously mistakes in the games coding etc (hence I don’t regard this as ‘cheating’). There are still some annoying bugs in this game, many of which will hopefully be fixed with the next patch, and hopefully without creating any new ones!

My overall view of 09 is that it is the most enjoyable version yet, but there are bugs/issues that can be pretty frustrating, and some that I haven’t myself encountered, but enough others on here have done , which seem pretty major. I don’t know a great deal about the intricate workings of the game industry, but I reckon that SI do seem to rush out the game and overlook problems in the game that should really be picked up in testing (ie injuries, Bojan etc). I don’t play many other games so can’t really comment on whether this is common to other games/developers/publishers etc, but the realist in me expects that this is part of the modern phenomena of companies finding any way of cutting costs. Why pay extra $$$ for more testing when the pressure is on by the consumer (we have ourselves to blame for this a bit….always wanting the next version released YESTERDAY!) to get the game to market ASAP. And such is the nature of the software market/consumers that they can rely on the un-paid ‘testers’ (ie players like you and I) to find and report the other bugs. And as long as they keep releasing patches to fix most of the problems, enough ‘brand loyal’ and new customers will buy it to make the whole process acceptable from a commercial company’s point of view. Does this make it right? No, but there are a whole stack of things that commercial companies do that aren’t right, and 99% of them are far more important on the grand scale of things than little old FM! At the end of the day FM is a game, and we (and I include myself in this) would probably all be better off reminding ourselves of this at times (ie when my team hits the post for the 5th time in a single game!) directing whatever anger/frustration we have at a more important target!

Archived