How this game can be improved by 70%

Simply put, enhance the sound effects of this game. Its too boring, repetitive and lifeless hearing the crowd in FM, been like that ever since CM 4. Why don't SI improve that aspect? If you can do a huge database of players favorite foot then I'm sure you can get the chants of most fans from most leagues, as well as improving the 'Away' fans chant because atm its rubbish. What do u think chaps?

To a certain extent I agree, but only to the extent that I feel the sound needs to be improved. Proclaiming it would make a 70% difference in the quality of the game or whatever is a little OTT IMO. There are far more important things in the game that need doing up before the sound gets a going over, such as the 3D, the transfers, the press conferences and so on. I would imagine that the sounds are fairly low down on SI's list of priorities too.

The thing is u would only understand what im saying if u actually attend Real Football games, derbies, champions league games etc. Ive been to many games and believe me its a fantastic feeling. I would love to feel that in FM but sadly its just a game. However if SI wants to add realism to the game I say improve the sound effects and you will boost the quality of match days. The stuff ftg87 just mentioned are bugs and instabilities in the game which are indeed a priority, however what I'm suggesting is to add value to the game by:

1- Reducing greatly the bugs in the system

2- Enhancing greatly the sound quality of the game

3- Improving the player database by adding focus on Africa and Asia (which I see being fairly neglect specifically in Africa and Arabian Nations)

4- And last but not least, If SI can manage to add actual crowd motion in the stadiums it will improve the game by 100% (imagine crowd gettin up whenever a goal is scored or missed) (the legendary Mexican wave) etc..

Theres more to football than just several chaps kicking a ball u knw...

The thing is u would only understand what im saying if u actually attend Real Football games, derbies, champions league games etc.

I actually find that comment very condescending. Also how could you possibly know whether or not I actually attend football matches? I have been to many, many football matches with large crowds and know exactly what the sound and atmosphere is like, so don't insult me with your stupid assumptions.

In fact, if you read my post properly instead of just picking out the points you didn't agree with and making assumptions which mean nothing, I agreed that sound needs to be improved, I just feel there are far more important things that are absolutely integral to FM being a properly playable game that need looking at before this happens

Don't know about 70% but I would love some more sounds. AND even though some people will hammer me on this forum for some weird reason, and tell me off

and call me a f something and a c somethinig and tell me to play Fifa Manager or something... I would love some live voice commentary. Even PES quality would

totally enhance the experience for me! Whoever is about to attack me go f**k yourself!!! Kidding kidding anyways I think its a good idea.

The sounds are a waste of time. Disabling them is one of the first things I do when altering settings. They take up more space then they are worth, because currently I agree they are awful. Though even if they were improved I would still disable them. Listen to some music instead!

I have to agree with Rb, there are other things I'd much rather they spent their time on.

To tick off the sound option is one of the first things i do when getting a new fm. i rather prefer listening to music or watching a footie game on tv whilst playing. But what would really be a cool feature is to be able to take a punt on games. The game already gives odds to suggest the match favourite but it would be really nice to place some virtual ingame bets. ;) At least the manager wage you get would make some sense.

I agree that the sound should be improved a lot, don't know about 70% but it could make a real difference. Think I've noticed it more with the 3D but it would feel a lot more immersive with real atmosphere.

Had to turn the sound off because it was so rubbish, unfortunately nobody seems to have made a soundpack either.

I have no big problem with sound effects. Sure (in FM 07) there is the random ref's whistle even though the game continues and you know instantly when a goal is disallowed (which I probably prefer to lessen the chance of a heart attack), but it's not bad. At least the crowd roars when a penalty's given.

I hate it when a football game has no crowd reaction to penalties or goals.

4- And last but not least, If SI can manage to add actual crowd motion in the stadiums it will improve the game by 100% (imagine crowd gettin up whenever a goal is scored or missed) (the legendary Mexican wave) etc..

You're not at all sensationalist are you! There are lots of major tweaks and changes that need to be made to the game, none of them would improve it 100% though, especially not crowd animations!

Whilst the sound is rubbish and could be improved, doing so really wont add very much to the game.

It would be interesting to see how many users play with the sound on, and of those that don't, how many would if it was much better. I personally wouldn't. I'd much rather have either the TV or a CD on whilst playing FM and I'd imagine most would feel the same.

Sound is something that I have never used with this game - unnecessary - whats the point in putting all these fancy noises when we dont have a game that works perfectly for all users?

I say scrap the whole 'sound' thing and deal with the gaming issues like improving training!

One thing they could do is change the crowd noises depending on the ground. When I'm managing in the Blue Square South it feels completely wrong to hear this stadium-esque crowd. It would add to the sense of achievement if you went from a few voices shouting encouragement on the sideline to massive stadium roars several years later when you've taken your team to the top.

ive turned off sound for so many FMs running that I ont even knowor remember what theyre like

nor do i care

the match sounds rank incredibly low on my list of things for SI to address, im surprised they have any at all

it reminds me of a review i read of football manager actually, where someone ranked it a 2 out of 10 for 'sound and music'

its just not a 'sound' game

Guest andygregory

I think the right sounds improve the match day experience and I agree with the OP about the state of the current sounds in the game. I had the sound pack for FM07 and that greatly enhanced watching the games. Not sure if there will be one (or is already one) for FM09. However I'm waiting for the next patch before getting into the game and hunting for sound packs and graphics packs etc

As per many of the other replies, I have little interest in seeing the development teams time spent on improving the sound.

Surely there is a pragmatic solution along the lines of extra skins, facepacks etc where the FM community produce additional commentary that can be added if desired.

As for claiming a 70% improvement to the game....hmm

If you can do a huge database of players favorite foot then I'm sure you can get the chants of most fans from most leagues, as well as improving the 'Away' fans chant because atm its rubbish. What do u think chaps?

Being able to ascertain which foot a player favours is very different to collecting sounds and implementing them.

To start with, you have to select which chants to include. Obviously none of the abusive ones would be suitable. Ones that use a player name would only be workable if you could attach that chant to the player, as they may well be sold. And when they retire there would be useless data floating around. So that's impractical.

That leaves the generic ones. And as most are to the tune of a song, you would have to obtain the rights for that song, if they're even available. And for the 'performance' of the song. That's before you get to the problems of recording the chants in a stadium, for every team in the database. Then consider a team, promoted from lower leagues. Their original pack would reflect their support at the time. If that support increases in game, and the stadium size increase in game, their original sounds wouldn't reflect their current status. So you would need a means to change the sounds to be appropriate to the size of the team. And the status. And for cup matches. And for Continental matches. And for friendlies.

That's only for chants though, and it really is too much expense, work and hassle for something that gives but a slight return.

Generic football crowd noises could improve of course.

I never have the sound on, its irritating and I'm always doing other stuff at the same time. Even if I ever did have it on, I'm sure after 2 games it would get really annoying.

Totally useless upgrade I think, for a database based game sound and graphics are possibly the least important things.

Archived