why do players with good physical stats do so well in the match engine?

It also depends on the league you are playing in. In lower leagues or leagues from small/weak countries there are hardly any important attributes except the physical stats. The higher you get, though, technical and mental attributes get a higher importance, as I could already notice.

what just like real life football then? i don't get the OPs point??

How is it just like real football exactly? The point is that players who are average in real life are excellent in the game simply because they have high physical attributes. It's not a problem with their ratings, there attributes are accurate, the problem is with the way that physical attributes seem to have too much influence in the game.

The effectiveness of jumping/pace/acceleration is something which seems to be tweaked from game to game and patch to patch (I think it was FM07 where the effectivness of jumping, in particular, seemed particularly out of whack). It's obviously something that's pretty difficult to get right -- you'll find plenty of posts about 9.2.0 from people saying pace and acceleration should have *more* effect on a game.

What's certain is that physical stats are 'weighted' the highest of any attribute, so eat up more of a player's CA than anything else.

what just like real life football then? i don't get the OPs point??

take a look at:

javier acuna

..now his tech/mental stats are nothing to write home about (even his finishing is average at 10/11), but he has decent physical stats yet he seems to play well above what his stats suggest he can.

I think it's just a by-product of the way they've built the engine. And unless a total re-write is on the cards I can't see it being changed for a while. It's disappointing, especially as it's been raised time and time again over the past few versions and nothing has been worked on to fix it. But SI are more than aware of it I'm sure.

To answer the OP, it is for the same reasons as players with good physical stats do so well in real life.

Let's be honest, the modern game has come more and more to rely on the physical side of the game.

Never heard the old cliche about Michael Owen not being the same player since he lost his pace?

What about Didier Drogba being described as 'unmarkable' due to his overall power and strength?

Then there is the fact that so many top players end up dropping down the divisions and playing at a much lower level later on in their careers. They still have it technically and mentally but cannot physically keep up at the top level.

I bet we could all name a whole load of players who have made a career out of the physical side of their game.

To answer the OP, it is for the same reasons as players with good physical stats do so well in real life.

Let's be honest, the modern game has become more and more to rely on the physical side of the game.

Never heard the old cliche about Michael Owen not being the same player since he lost his pace?

What about Didier Drogba being described as 'unmarkable' due to his overall power and strength?

Then there is the fact that so many top players end up dropping down the divisions and playing at a much lower level later on in their careers. They still have it technically and mentally but cannot physically keep up at the top level.

I bet we could all name a whole load of players who have made a career out of the physical side of their game.

Only problem with that is that you're basing it mainly on the Premiership. The problem is the match engine overpowers physical stats no matter what league you're in.

I actually think SI got the balance right in FM09. Spot on or nearly spot on, anyway. I am very happy that mental attributes, like Anticipation, seem to matter a lot more now. I am now able to build tactics around players who have good Anticipation!

The only things that are messed up are the two footed players (too big a penalty in their Ability, imo) and the multi-positioned ones (e.g. players that are DC/DMC/MC end up having much better defensive attributes than what their Ability would indicate). Other than that, I am very happy.

I actually think SI got the balance right in FM09. Spot on or nearly spot on, anyway. I am very happy that mental attributes, like Anticipation, seem to matter a lot more now. I am now able to build tactics around players who have good Anticipation!

The only things that are messed up are the two footed players (too big a penalty in their Ability, imo) and the multi-positioned ones (e.g. players that are DC/DMC/MC end up having much better defensive attributes than what their Ability would indicate). Other than that, I am very happy.

Completely agree. I think being two footed should free up CA rather than take it up. Its so frustrating to see a player with great stats then look at his foot and be like "aww."

Only problem with that is that you're basing it mainly on the Premiership. The problem is the match engine overpowers physical stats no matter what league you're in.

I don't necessarily disagree with you entirely. I'm just playing devil's advocate here but aren't most of the world's top strikers, for instance, usually physically outstanding?

Yes, the game in say Italy, or Spain, is much more technical. In England, of course, we have more of a battle across the field. A 'weaker' player may be more successful in the former kind of game because those footballing cultures don't always play with flat lines and there is more emphasis on using space and outwitting a defence rather than outrunning it. But I'd still argue that in key positions, especially defence and attack, the physical side of the game is essential and of the utmost importance.

C.

I can't say I agree, otherwise olympic athletes would all automatically be good footballers.

I'm not saying that physical attributes aren't necessary, but someone who is strong and fast but can't read the game, pass or shoot is going to be far more useless than an experienced mentally aware player whos legs have gone a bit.

The problem with the game engine is even a striker with low composure, technique and finishing will do well if he has decent pace and strength.

Better than average physical attributes can make the difference between an average and a good player as long as they are combined with the other attributes - at the moment it's like each attribute point of pace is worth about 20 points spent elsewhere.

I can't say I agree, otherwise olympic athletes would all automatically be good footballers.
I'm not saying that physical attributes aren't necessary, but someone who is strong and fast but can't read the game, pass or shoot is going to be far more useless than an experienced mentally aware player whos legs have gone a bit.

Funny you should say these things!

At St. Albans City, there is a player called Gary Cohen. Both of his parents were Olympic sprinters for Team GB and he has definitely inherited their speed. He is also very strong.

Another Saints player, Jonathan Hunt, is an ex-Premier League midfielder. He is easily the best technical player in the squad (by something along the lines of a country mile), however, his legs have failed him somewhat.

I don't think I am the only Saints fan who would prefer Cohen on the right and Hunt well out of it, despite the fact that Hunt is so much more technically superior. I'd also say Cohen isn't the most composed and naturally gifted goalscorer but he has put a few away this season by using his pace to trouble defenders and his strength to gain an advantage in key areas.

That's the importance of physical ability for you.

The problem with the game engine is even a striker with low composure, technique and finishing will do well if he has decent pace and strength.

I haven't seen this in my game, so maybe I am missing it.

In fact, I have seen players with lots of pace but poor finishing and composure occasionally get through my defensive line only to blast the ball pathetically wide.

I also have a young youth academy striker in my BSS team with pace 14, acceleration 14, finishing 4 and composure 3! Needless to say, he is pretty useless up front. :D

I guess it just depends what you are seeing on your game but at the moment my opinion is that the mix seems about right.

C.

Archived