How do YOU download the FM patch?

How did you download your last FM patch?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. How did you download your last FM patch?

• Steam downloaded it for me!
    • From the official SI website
    • From the Sega customer support website
    • From the SI torrent linked to on the forum
    • From a mirror listed in the patch thread on the forum
    • From another source (please say where in the main thread)
    • I haven't downloaded a patch (again - say why)

Right then: A quick bit of market research on a subject that has been nagging at me for some time. I've always wondered why downloading a FM patch from SI involves a little bit more of a palaver than, for example, downloading a patch for Fallout 3 or Bioshock (both of which I downloaded quickly and easily from their respective websites). For example, I struggled to find a suitable download of the FM08 patch to the point where I gave up trying and only ran the game twice. Ditto FM09 9.2.0 (I'm still labouting with 9.1.0)

So then: Am I being difficult, behind the times or could obtaining a patch from SI/ Sega be a much more simple process?

i normally wait till the day after release and download the first .rar mirror that appears, if its made more widely avilable through the likes of say rapidshare or filefront or even megaupload it would take a big burden off SI servers and allow most people to get hold of it straight away

Blimey - 3 replies and I never even got as far as the poll! Must type faster!

i normally wait till the day after release and download the first .rar mirror that appears, if its made more widely avilable through the likes of say rapidshare or filefront or even megaupload it would take a big burden off SI servers and allow most people to get hold of it straight away

I'm guessing that this will be the most common response of regular forum users - but I'd like to see whether it is actually the case.

Last year I was unaware of a patch being available, so I played 8.0, which was rather enjoyable, my 11 year career that ended up winning the league with my boyhood club Liverpool. I went a long way from Bromley to Liverpool, with a trip to Italy in between, with taking Aldershot from League 2 to Prem League being the other club.

This year I get auto-patched by Steam.

It is a big ask when you get tens of thousands after a ~200MB file in one night - that's the kinda volume that requires an infrastructure specifically designed to handle it which I think it's unreasonable to expect anyone to have really, it's the reason things like Rapidshare can afford to offer free services because enough people need their paid ones.

It also helps to have a few mirrors because with that volume even with sites like rapidshare you'll start to get a bottleneck on that particular download/server.

Cheers to everybody who's replied so far. Some interesting stats there:

The majority download the patch in untorrented form;

Steam has been embraced - at least - by the forum and is proving a popular way to authenticate and patch (if not necessarily download);

Relatively few people download from the SI site, even though that's where the 'check for updates' option in-game takes you;

And everybody seems to have missed my pointed reference that you can't download the patch from the publisher's website ;)

I wonder how these stats stack up against SI and Sega's experience.

Personally I would like the 'check for updates' approach to link to a much faster server; my attempts to download from the sigames website have been abandoned after the expected download time exceeded 20 hours :(.

Archived