Arteta for England

I'm not sure he will - due to the nature of the "home nations" you can get a British passport, but not an english passport, hence why unless arteta has english grandparents, he would not be eligible for any of the home nations - iirc he should already be qualified for a british passport as he spent a while at rangers pre-everton.

I can't find the thread, but the same question is regularly asked about cudicini, and the more knowlegable members of the forum have a better answer than mine :D

Whenever he takes Brtish nationality. That is when he has played 5 years in England & if he decides to take English as a second nationality (sometimes it doesn't happen). He won't be able to play for England if he's already been capped by Spain beforehand, of course.

I'm not sure he will - due to the nature of the "home nations" you can get a British passport, but not an english passport, hence why unless arteta has english grandparents, he would not be eligible for any of the home nations - iirc he should already be qualified for a british passport as he spent a while at rangers pre-everton.

I can't find the thread, but the same question is regularly asked about cudicini, and the more knowlegable members of the forum have a better answer than mine :D

I though players could take up English nationality and play for the England after a certain period of time.

I'm sure I've seen an extract from Brian Barwick's book where he says that one of the F.A. board members tried to convice a former England manager to select players like Cudicini, and Di Canio, because they hadn't played for their own countries and were eligible for England.

I'll try and find a link to one of the many cudicini threads, but i do remember there being issues because of the nature of england, scotland, wales and NI, as they all have technically the same nationality, "british" hence there needs to be some way of differentiating between who's eligible for which.

Whether this is implemented on FM is another matter.

i dont think arteta would get in the spain squad. But i do think he is good enough for england.

A damning statement if true, 6th choice Spainish midfielder walks into England squad.

There's a gentleman's agreement between the Home Nations not to do it anyway - if Capello called up Arteta, there'd a whole new can of worms opened.
True, but there are no written rules about not doing it.

I've got a game that's now at Jan 1st, 2014. Almunia and Arteta both moved to English clubs in 2004/05; my game has seen Almunia stay at Arsenal, while Arteta's moved around but still stayed in England. They've both been in England for roughly the same period of time (a little shy of ten years), but Almunia can play for England while Arteta can't.

Anyway, in game terms:

Looking around some other foreign players in my game who have British citizenship, it appears that anyone who's played internationally at any level or been declared for an international team in the game can only represent that nation in the future - as Arteta's had some U21 games for Spain, he'll only ever be eligible for Spain in the game (even if it's technically possible for him to play for England in real life)

For anyone wishing to dispute that, provide some names that conclude otherwise. Using a save from the start of the game, I'll rattle off a few that back up my statement

Aaron Hunt, Kasper Schmeichel and David Edgar all have U21 or youth caps (for Germany, Denmark and Canada respectively) and while all of them will be listed if you select "Nationality is English", none of them are eligible to play for England.

Nyron Nosworthy, Omar Koroma and Seb Hines are all uncapped but start off in the squads for Jamaica, Gambia and USA respectively and cannot be called up to England.

Jeffrey Imudia, Chris Dickson and Ben Starosta are all uncapped and do not appear in the Nigeria, Ghana or Poland squads but are all declared for those countries, and are not eligible to play for England.

Kelvin Etuhu, Dickson Etuhu and Kazenga LuaLua have never played for Nigeria or Congo, don't appear in the squad and have never been declared for those countries, and those three CAN be called up to the England squad.

I managed a season as Everton recently and I actually got a message saying that Arteta had become a British national followed by something along the lines of "Arteta is resigned that he may not be called up for Spain and hopes to play international football for England."

I thought this was a nice touch in the game until I looked at his personal screen where under "Nations eligible for" it still only said Spain.

Surely if he was not able to play for England the original message should not have said what it did.

IIRC only senior caps count, any u19/u21 caps are not an issue.

I think U21 caps are an issue. Doesn't a player have to declare themselves for the other nation before a certain age or within a certain time after their last cap? I seem to remember something recently about one of the African nations calling up a player based over here that had played for the U19s or U21s? I can't for the life of me find the story, though.

edit: Bingo! Nigeria called Carlton Cole up for a squad last summer, but having played for the England U21 side he couldn't switch allegiance as he was over the age of 24. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7542589.stm

Just goes to show that six months is a long time in football.

I managed a season as Everton recently and I actually got a message saying that Arteta had become a British national followed by something along the lines of "Arteta is resigned that he may not be called up for Spain and hopes to play international football for England."

I thought this was a nice touch in the game until I looked at his personal screen where under "Nations eligible for" it still only said Spain.

Surely if he was not able to play for England the original message should not have said what it did.

I expect that was a message from 08 and any previous versions where players became eligible for whichever home nation they had spent time playing in that hadn't been deleted. It was changed for 09 with all of that gentleman's agreement business about not selecting foreign players for our national teams.

In my Arsenal game I signed Sergio Asenjo. He had 5 U21 caps for Spain. After 5/6 seasons he had still not played for Spain but gained dual nationality and I then also got the message, "Sergio Asenjo is resigned that he may not be called up for Spain and hopes to play international football for England." He never played for England though, so it's either a bug or he simply didn't get picked for the team.

After a few years I took the Spanish job and selected him as keeper, so can no longer test whether he can be called up. Will try in the future though.

Players do take up British nationality sometimes in the hope of playing for England or the nation they're in. I've had a couple of players who've been uncapped who have done it, but still not been called up by England lol.

I expect that was a message from 08 and any previous versions where players became eligible for whichever home nation they had spent time playing in that hadn't been deleted. It was changed for 09 with all of that gentleman's agreement business about not selecting foreign players for our national teams.

Happened to me in FM09, 2nd patch

Happened to me in FM09, 2nd patch

It could easily be a message that was worded for the 08 version of the game and not changed or removed for 09. Plenty of the text/commentary is the same as it was in previous versions of the game as there is no need to change most of it.

In 09? A screenshot would be lovely :)
Screenie of what, exactly? If you're referring to Almunia being in the England squad, someone linked to a thread earlier which had one such screenshot... http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2188111&postcount=1

And I've posted earlier what can and can't allow a player to play for a country that is a second/third/whatever nationality.

I think U21 caps are an issue. Doesn't a player have to declare themselves for the other nation before a certain age or within a certain time after their last cap? I seem to remember something recently about one of the African nations calling up a player based over here that had played for the U19s or U21s? I can't for the life of me find the story, though.

edit: Bingo! Nigeria called Carlton Cole up for a squad last summer, but having played for the England U21 side he couldn't switch allegiance as he was over the age of 24. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7542589.stm

Just goes to show that six months is a long time in football.

Actually Cole wasn't six months late he was three years late as i says in the article you linked:

"Fifa allows players who have represented one country at junior level to switch to another country.

But the statutes of world football's governing body state that this can only happen if they are still under the age of 21."

Another rule that this article doesn't say something about is that if a player wants to switch to another country he had to eligible for that country before he played a youth cap for another country. Neven Subotic is a good example. He wanted to apply for a German passport and play for Germany. But FIFA made it clear that he wouldn't be allowed to since he had played for the US youth team before he received the German Passport. Instead he chose Serbia, something he was allowed to since he was eligible for Serbia when he decided to represent the US youth team.

I had this message come through on one of my saves and it says to me that Rafael does not consider himself good enough to get into the Brazil squad so he would like to be considered for the England Squad...correct?

Lucky enough i saved the game at this point as i had other things to do so i added another manager to the game and took charge of England, but when i click on Rafael`s profile i get nothing to add him to the squad and it also says in the profile that he is only eligible for Brazil.

He has ONLY played youth caps for Brazil so u-21 don`t come into it either........bug?

GaryBurns-20.png

Rafael.png

the late great Ferenc Puskás played for both Hungary and Spain! so why shouldnt Carlton cole be allowed to play for Nigeria sometime in the future :D

on a side note he scored 84 goals in 85 games for Hungary, how good is that! :)

His Real strike partner Alfredo played for three nations, how greedy is that?

I had this message come through on one of my saves and it says to me that Rafael does not consider himself good enough to get into the Brazil squad so he would like to be considered for the England Squad...correct?

Lucky enough i saved the game at this point as i had other things to do so i added another manager to the game and took charge of England, but when i click on Rafael`s profile i get nothing to add him to the squad and it also says in the profile that he is only eligible for Brazil.

He has ONLY played youth caps for Brazil so u-21 don`t come into it either........bug?

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2756700&postcount=16

...honestly, are my posts ****ing invisible or something?

Whether it's a bug or not (either that they can't play for the second country or that you get the message in the first place), I'm not going to comment because I don't have the knowledge of how the international system works in real life, but what I've posted is how it works in the game at the present time, unless someone cares to prove me wrong.

well i would not put him ahead of carrick, hargreaves, gerrard, lampard, barry etc so i doubt he would play even if he wanted to. hes great for everton but they rely on him so much hes made out to be better than he is.

For spain he has absolutely no chance in hell. alonso, fabregas, senna, xavi, iniesta etc are all classes above him

Archived