Lee Hughes

I'm an Oldham fan and I still cheer his goals. Whilst I do not agree with what he did in any way and do not think he spent long enough in prison for his crime, if he was a brick-layer and went back to that after prison, no one would have said anything. I know he's in the public eye, but if he does not play football, what else would he be allowed to do?!?

Sorry, maybe slightly off topic with the way I've answered that as I know you were talking about FM. As you can probably guess, I play him just the same as I would any player on FM

I'd never sign him. Not only because I don't think he should be playing professional football but because he is too old for me to waste money on. If he was at a club I joined then I'd look to move him on.

There are loads of professions that if he had been convicted of the crime he commited the would never be allowed to return to or no one would ever of employed him.

I'm an Oldham fan and I still cheer his goals. Whilst I do not agree with what he did in any way and do not think he spent long enough in prison for his crime, if he was a brick-layer and went back to that after prison, no one would have said anything. I know he's in the public eye, but if he does not play football, what else would he be allowed to do?!?

Sorry, maybe slightly off topic with the way I've answered that as I know you were talking about FM. As you can probably guess, I play him just the same as I would any player on FM

Totally agree mate, I don't see what 'wall fans have against him?!

He's done the crime and the time, just let it go. As somebody else said, if he was a bricklayer, a good bricklayer, and went back to bricklaying nobody would batter an eyelid so whats the difference? Accidents can and do happen, unfortunately this one ended up in tragedy. He shouldnt of fled the scene but it was a kneejerk reaction to an incident, adrenalin can have strange affects on people.

Dont see what we have against him?

He is on good money after he has taken a mans life.

There are people out there who have never done anything half as bad as he did yet still dont earn near as much as he does in a week.

That's the fault of Western society and rich businessman, not Lee Hughes.

In an ideal world, good doctors, nurses, fireman, teachers etc. would be the highest earners. Then such a point would be valid as the wages correlate to the importance of the job.

*topic closes*

Guest mikeytwigge

he's done his time and is sorry for what he has done. He made one mistake and will have to live with that on his consience for the rest of his life that is punishment enough so you should just leave him alone to let him get on with his life

Such is life and the nature of humanity. Half the people on this planet will claim to be religious for example, spend every sunday saying Amen to a sermon about forgiveness then spit bile at people like this guy.

Have the people saying he has done hist time let him be etc thought about if they would same the same thing if the passenger he killed was thier brother, or mum or dad or sister or child....? I dont think its right hes playing footy again hes a good player but its just not right...

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Policy (Offender Management) is there to give people the chance to use their time inside to turn their lives around, when he has completed his sentence thats pretty much the end of it unless he does the same again, some professions such as caring and working with children are exempt though for public protection.

With life sentences, there has to be distinction between that which is pre-meditated (Murder) and Manslaughter, Murder has to be the more serious crime and punished accordingly, it seems like a 'get out' sometimes but thats the law. For Murder in England and Wales, we have a tariff system, as people are living longer, letting people die in prison is not deemed fair as it can mean 40+ years now and gives no incentive to reform.

Guest mikeytwigge

and it wasnt murder because it wasnt deliberate. If all of you who have crashed your cas on here had accidently killed someone during this crash would you expect to never get a job again

and it wasnt murder because it wasnt deliberate. If all of you who have crashed your cas on here had accidently killed someone during this crash would you expect to never get a job again

I'd never expect to get a highly paid professional white collar job again.

Football is pretty morally bankrupt otherwise Joey Barton wouldn't still have a career.

Once a man has served his time in prison, he deserves every opportunity to live a normal life again otherwise there is no point in releasing him is there? Try using some logic rather than irrationally throwing around the word scum.

What I don't like about him is that he uses his negative reputation to his advantage. When we (Stockport) visited Boundary Park last month, he replied to the murderer chants by that stupid, very annoying dance right in front of the away fans after he scored. Everyone thinks that he's scum, but he doesn't really care. He's still scum.

What happens when Luke McCormick gets released and gets a contract it will happen and his was a lot worse than Hughes personally taking a life should mean LIFE

Indeed, life should certainly mean life. However, neither Hughes nor McCormick got life, you muppet!

What I don't like about him is that he uses his negative reputation to his advantage. When we (Stockport) visited Boundary Park last month, he replied to the murderer chants by that stupid, very annoying dance right in front of the away fans after he scored. Everyone thinks that he's scum, but he doesn't really care. He's still scum.

Having been at the game, I think you'll find that he did the "stupid, very annoying dance" in front of our fans, who were sharing the stand. Sorry!

By the way, before anybody drives me mad by using the word "murder" again,

"Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being with intent (or malice aforethought), and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide."

Whereas unpremedidated manslaughter, or involuntary manslaughter, which is what death by drink driving would be if it weren't a seperate offence, is "where there's no intention to kill or cause serious injury, but death is due to recklessness or criminal negligence."

Go figure.

Why do we need to open up old wounds?

He made a huge mistake but ask anyone who has spoken to him for 5 minutes and he is a decent bloke.

Hughes as paid his debt to society like it or not it was 3 years. Now must be allowed to live his life.

If you deny those that do wrong a 2nd opportunity they have no choice but to commit crime again.

although the relatives of the person who has died presumably hate the guy, do the fans who chant murderer at Hughes think they would appreciate that

i know i wouldnt want someone singing sumthing relating to the death of my relatives

If I play as Oldham I play him as he's on eof the best strikers in league 1. What a lot of people outside oldham don't know is that he supports a local woman who is campaigning against drink driving after her son was killed and has also been into schools to talk to kids about drink driving. That's the thing people forget about his conviction he was drunk when he did what he did.

If I play as Oldham I play him as he's on eof the best strikers in league 1. What a lot of people outside oldham don't know is that he supports a local woman who is campaigning against drink driving after her son was killed and has also been into schools to talk to kids about drink driving. That's the thing people forget about his conviction he was drunk when he did what he did.

I hate it when people uses "But I was drunk" as an excuse for ANYTHING.

As an Oldham fan I think I will shed some light on this matter as it seems a lot people are misinformed on this exhausted subject.

Firstly Lee Hughes fled the scene of the crime because he was drunk and so when he handed himself in he was sober, thus no doubt helping him get a lesser sentence of only 6 years (as he couldn't be convicted for drink driving, unlike Luke McCormick). Of his 6 year sentence he only served 3 years. Obviously this is no fault of either Oldham Athletic or Lee Hughes, your elected government make the rule (rightly or wrongly) and in this case it would seem that Lee was let of a little easily. Most fans of Oldham Athletic would acknowledge this.

Since his release from prison though, Lee has campaigned against drink driving and has also met a family member of the man whose life was tragically taken from him. According to our society he has served his punishment and is now a reformed character who is unlikely to re-offended. He doesn't actually earn that much money. His wages on FM are over estimated as he is believed to be on the same wages as most of the first team, although I'm sure his goal bonuses and appearance fees will greatly improve those wages.

As for dancing in front of Stockport fans, it has already been pointed out to you that Stockport fans were sharing the same stand as Oldham fans and he did his usual celebration (the daft dance) in front of our fans. As for the Millwall fan spouting his bile, please keep doing it, I'm sure in a couple of weeks he'll be more than happy to score another hat-trick at the New Den. Also its not like all Millwall fans are little angles either. If every Millwall who had ever done something wrong had been caught and locked up your attendance would be lower that what they are now if your idea of a perfect society existed.

Lee Hughes will have to live with what he has done for the rest of his life and I'm sure he regrets it everyday of his life. At the time of the accident he was on a reported £16,000 a week. In prison he wouldn't have been able to afford his house or keep his family in the life they were accustomed to. His wife and children have also had to pay a price for his mistakes. I'm sure he's trying to make amends for them and rightly so, it wasn't there fault so why should his wife and kids starve? What else is he suppose to do? He is a footballer and so went back to his chosen career.

Let us all remember that nobody is perfect. Lee Hughes did something awful after drink driving. The only difference between him and a "footballing icon" such as Tony Adams is that Lee was unlucky enough to kill someone whilst he was drinking and driving. If anybody drinks and drives they run the risk of killing somebody, Tony Adams got lucky, Lee Hughes wasn't so lucky neither was Luke McCormick. That should not stop them from being given a 2nd chance though, every man, woman and child deserves that chance other than those who commit the most hideous of crimes. If Gerrard get convicted of assault/ABH/GBH should he never play for Liverpool or England again? Don't be daft. Just like everybody else in this democratic country, he would be deserving of a 2nd chance.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Something we should all remember I think!

He's served his sentence and was considered suitable for early release. So why shouldn't he play football any more? It's not like a child molester who would be forbidden to work with children again.

It's something I've become quite accustomed to since Oldham signed Lee Hughes. I would have thought that since his release two years ago it would have blown over by now, but no, you still get the same one track minded, eye for an eye, ill infromed, individuals spouting the same rubbish as always (funnily enough its mostly always Millwall fans, just ask any oldham fan in the BBC 606 forums). Nobody is forcing anybody to like Lee Hughes, people can even boo him (people get booed for a lot less) but please don't say he hasn't got the right to work as a footballer when he is a footballer. It shows a complete lack of intellegance.

I might start a new FM 09 game as Millwall manager and sign Lee Hughes and make him a club legend. Just for fun mind.

Seriously though, what would the people who dispise Hughes so much do if he signed for their club. Stop supporting your club? Or would you go out and try and learn the facts and then embrace the fact that you have a very good striker at your club. It seems a lot of clubs are intrested in signing Hughes and that he probably won't be an Oldham player next season (even if we get promoted). So people should be careful what they say, he may just sign for your club and then you'll look pretty daft cheering his goals, wouldn't you?

Archived