So I want to manage somewhere different...

I've managed in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) and I tried Brazil but it just hurt my head.

Where else would you guys recommend trying? I'm not looking for a particular team as such, just somewhere that's not the UK, a lot of fun and maybe a little out of the ordinary!

Cheers!

The guy did say Brazil hurt his head, so I'm not sure if Argentina or MLS are what he's looking for. Guess we'll see what he has to say.

I really don't like MLS, myself. Much to confusing.

He did ask for something different and a little out of the ordinary so that is why I suggested it. :D

I would have thought somewhere like Russia or Turkey were "a little out of the ordinary" without being the kind of leagues that make your head hurt!

The MLS does not make my head hurt. :p

Although if Brazil did, maybe going there might be such a good idea. :D

AS the MLS, might not be a good suggestion, I'll second MeLikeFM. Try the League of Ireland. :thup:

Italy is tempting, especially after reading the brilliant Miracle of Castel di Sangro a little while back.

Russia could be good too so I'll look into that also :thup:

Miracle of Castel di Sangro is an awesome book, you're right! A little off-topic, but I thought you'd be interested to know that they went through some difficulties in the early 2000's, and amazingly Tonino Martino (the simple guy who put Sprite in his Red Wine) came back to be their manager. I found a website where I followed their progress for a bit. It might interest you to look it up yourself.

Have you seen the Extremes Of Europe challenge in the Challenges forum? There are some interesting possibilities in that.

Oh wow. Thanks for the promotion. :D

My choice (patriotism again) would be the Singapore League. Really open and 'competitve', and any half decent manager can win the league.

Or perhaps the A-League in Australia.

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago, asking much the same question.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=84010

I'm not particularly into LLM, so I would probably be looking at a top division side outside the big three, maybe an AZ or FC Twente possibly.

Didn't really fancy Italy or Spain as I've played them enough in previous versions and didn't want anywhere 'not too obscure', or outside Europe tbh.

I ended up playing in the 'Russian Premier', and would highly recommend it.

It's quite surprising how high up the UEFA rankings Russia is, it's relatively easy to qualify for Europe with almost any top flight side.

i can assure you that tha Turkish league is just 2 times better than the russian league.

There was a thread in here about the Turkish League, and the general consensus was that it is very complicated structure-wise.

There was even talk of drawing up some sort of chart/diagram to try and figure out how all the leagues outside the 'Premier' were connected with regards to promotion/relegation.

It may well have been in the 'Challenges' forum, the one where you take charge of a lower league side from one of the smaller nations and try and win the Champions League with them.

A few people who started in Turkey just gave up because they couldn't get to grips with the 'pyramid structure'.

I had a brilliant game in Mexico, a strong league that has money to spend, good players and a strange league system where they award 2 championships a season, after 17 games then there is a playoff, so one before Xmas and one after, plus the winners get into the Copa Libetedores.

Club America are the dominent team, but pick anyone else, it's pretty balanced. I won shed loads and now always load Mexico with my career games.

I had a brilliant game in Mexico, a strong league that has money to spend, good players and a strange league system where they award 2 championships a season, after 17 games then there is a playoff, so one before Xmas and one after, plus the winners get into the Copa Libetedores.

Club America are the dominent team, but pick anyone else, it's pretty balanced. I won shed loads and now always load Mexico with my career games.

The league set-up sounds very similar to Argentina, which is one of my favourite places to manage. In my current savegame I've only got European leagues playable but I'm managing the Uruguay national side. The World Cup Qualifying for South America is great fun, like a sort of 9 or 10 team mini-league.

Back to Mexico though, I've never managed there myself but quite a few people on here say very good things about it, so I'll probably add Mexico as playable when I start again after new patch comes out. I'm thinking of an Americas savegame with Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay/Mexico all playable.

How many levels of Mexican league are in FM2009?

Any other South/Central/North America leagues you would suggest trying?

Apart from MLS, I hate the MLS, can't figure it out at all i.e. drafts/transfers etc.

what do you mean by the pyramid structure..

İts just the 2nd division is a little bit different than others but i dont assume people would want to manage a 2nd division team.

Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and Besiktas are the teams to manage in the Turkish league.

Though there is a foreigner rule 6+2

its a bit complicated.

Anyone who is not Turkish is considered foreigner unless their second nationality is Turkish.

you can have 8 foreigners in your squad but can play 6 of them in a game and 2 must sit as substitute. You can only allow a foreigner enter a game if you sub another foreigner already playing.

Try Galatasaray after the patch, their stats will improve over the 9.20 update.

Try the Hong Kong league, really interesting league with the chance to play in the Asian Champions League. I managed 15 years in Hong Kong with Happy Valley and had great fun. One of the best leagues to manage in on FM, great challenge IMO.

I've managed in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) and I tried Brazil but it just hurt my head.

Where else would you guys recommend trying? I'm not looking for a particular team as such, just somewhere that's not the UK, a lot of fun and maybe a little out of the ordinary!

Cheers!

Russia especially in the 1st division

what do you mean by the pyramid structure..

İts just the 2nd division is a little bit different than others but i dont assume people would want to manage a 2nd division team.

Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and Besiktas are the teams to manage in the Turkish league.

Though there is a foreigner rule 6+2

its a bit complicated.

Anyone who is not Turkish is considered foreigner unless their second nationality is Turkish.

you can have 8 foreigners in your squad but can play 6 of them in a game and 2 must sit as substitute. You can only allow a foreigner enter a game if you sub another foreigner already playing.

As I said earlier with regards to the Turkish League, the general consensus was that it is very complicated structure-wise.

There was even talk of drawing up some sort of chart/diagram to try and figure out how all the leagues outside the 'Premier' i.e. the 2nd division u refer to, were connected with regards to promotion/relegation.

It was in the 'Challenges' forum, the one where you take charge of a side outside the top flight, from any nation in Europe, excluding the 'big' ones and try and win the Champions League with them.

Most people who started in Turkey just gave up because they couldn't understand how the league structure was set-up.

Archived