Work Permit Tip For Spanish Speaking Players

Hi, this has worked on all the previous versions, so should also work for FM09.

If you're trying to buy some good youngsters from countries such as Chile, Uruguay, Argentina... etc... etc... with British clubs, but are put off by failure to get work permits, but have a feeder club in Spain, or are prepared to try and loan them to Spanish clubs, then this fact should help.

South American players (exception of Brazil perhaps), Central Americans, or literally any country outside the EU where Spanish is the national language, loaned out to a Spanish club will get Spanish and hence EU citizenship, within as little as two seasons. There's also a couple of African nations who apply here, such as Morocco, a former Spanish controlled country. Can't think of other African nations that feature here at the moment, but I'm sure someone will.

Arguably, there's always a good supply of quality youngsters already featured in the game, along with regens/newgens, from countries like Argentina. So this "buy & loan" method is a big help. Remember, they have to be from naturally Spanish speaking countries. At some point, time permitted, I'll post a full list of these nations, unless someone beats me to it of course ;)

Another aspect of this is that if playing as a Spanish club and, as in some long-term games I've played, you get to manage the Spanish national side, if you're lucky and they don't get called-up for their respective "home" nations before they get Spanish citizenship, they can be selected for Spain once they accept Spanish citizenship. On one long-term game, I had four quality Argentinian born players in the Spanish national team, that I had also signed for the club side I was managing.

I prefer loaning to Spanish or Italian clubs irregardless of their nationality, as it's (usually) way easier for them to get work permits through getting sufficient caps as the Spanish and Italian leagues raise reputation faster.

Never really saw much point in a Belgian feeder club as a result.

How about a potentially-world class 18 year old GK from Ghana ??

I only ask, because I have recently involved myself in the training side of the game a lot more, and have developed a really good system for youngsters that seems to get the most out of them before they get shifted onto the more senior timetables...I just wondered can I get this lad over here, and get him on to my youth schedule for a year or two ??

Former Spanish colonies, which means Latin America, and the law may include Philippines and Equatorial Guinea and Morocco who were also Spanish colonies.

Brazil is also included because Brazil was a colony of Spain during the Iberian Union (1580-1640, when Portugal was ruled by the Spanish kings).

How about a potentially-world class 18 year old GK from Ghana ??

I only ask, because I have recently involved myself in the training side of the game a lot more, and have developed a really good system for youngsters that seems to get the most out of them before they get shifted onto the more senior timetables...I just wondered can I get this lad over here, and get him on to my youth schedule for a year or two ??

ye but he wont be aloud to play

its not really a "tip" is it, south americans playing in the spanish league are eligible for EU nationality after 2 years.

Yup. The amazing thing is, for you or me, its seven years!

Such a big empty backward place with portions growing obscenely fat on EU subsidies. Sounds good - let's keep it that way. :)

Former Spanish colonies, which means Latin America, and the law may include Philippines and Equatorial Guinea and Morocco who were also Spanish colonies.

Brazil is also included because Brazil was a colony of Spain during the Iberian Union (1580-1640, when Portugal was ruled by the Spanish kings).

Thanks for confirming that PMLF. :)

I'm sure there's also some more African nations that can get Spanish citizenship within 2 years. I'll have to do a little searching for the correct info. It's to do with some trade and citizenship agreement between Spain, Latin American countries, former colonies, etc... though I can't remember the name of this agreement, it's not that old and I've read about it before. I know SI are usually pretty spot on with their research with these sort of things, but it's not always something your average "gamer" knows about, hence my initial post.

To other responses, I was always sure about the Spanish speaking nations, not 100% sure on the former Portuguese colonies, which PMLF cleared up. It's a tip in a sense because it's perhaps more specific to the ability to get Spanish and therefore EU citizenship much quicker than you might with feeder clubs in many other EU countries.

The main benefit if you're managing a club in Great Britain and are fortunate enough to get a feeder in Spain, is the aid in overcoming work permit related problems much quicker. We've all been there. A fantastic 17 or 18 year old player on the shortlist, we'd love to sign them, but failure to get a work permit means the length of time it would take to get EU citizenship with say, a Belgian feeder club, makes the signing pointless.

Thanks for confirming that PMLF. :)

I'm sure there's also some more African nations that can get Spanish citizenship within 2 years. I'll have to do a little searching for the correct info. It's to do with some trade and citizenship agreement between Spain, Latin American countries, former colonies, etc... though I can't remember the name of this agreement, it's not that old and I've read about it before. I know SI are usually pretty spot on with their research with these sort of things, but it's not always something your average "gamer" knows about, hence my initial post.

To other responses, I was always sure about the Spanish speaking nations, not 100% sure on the former Portuguese colonies, which PMLF cleared up. It's a tip in a sense because it's perhaps more specific to the ability to get Spanish and therefore EU citizenship much quicker than you might with feeder clubs in many other EU countries.

The main benefit if you're managing a club in Great Britain and are fortunate enough to get a feeder in Spain, is the aid in overcoming work permit related problems much quicker. We've all been there. A fantastic 17 or 18 year old player on the shortlist, we'd love to sign them, but failure to get a work permit means the length of time it would take to get EU citizenship with say, a Belgian feeder club, makes the signing pointless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotonou_Agreement

Archived