This is solely my opinion, and I don't want to argue with people or want any smartarse comments please.

Ive been playing Fm since god knows when, and its reached the point where certain aspects have really put the game off for me. Theyve been in the game for a while and I feel need tweaking, not a total revamp:

If another team is superior to you, they will continue to score goals. So you get unrealistic scores. I'm Sampdoria and am unbeaten for 10 games, then along comes Inter and Zlatan scores 4 goals in the first 10 minutes. I lost 5-2. Then a few games later, I play Reggina, who are bottom 5, they score 3 goals in 9 minutes, the opening 9 minutes. Again, this is a team that hasnt won in about 9 matches.

Another thing that annoys me is how so much can happen in a virtual minute - in the last few minutes of the match, a team can have about 5 chances within 1 minute - hence most goals coming in stoppage time.

Lastly, the times at which you get yellow cards are ridiculous. You can get one in 25 game seconds, then another after 4 game minutes. In real life you usually dont get them that early. You get the occasional yellow in the first 10 minutes, but come on? 20 seconds?

One more - the fact that transfer fees are so high by the AI. You see teams like Inter, United and Roma sign players for ridiculous amounts such as 49m pounds for David Villa. Firstly, Roma has a policy to never spend over 20m. Secondly, how is it realistic for Inter to sign Aguero for 35m, then Ribery for 20m, and David Villa for 40m in the same window? The amount of money teams make is far too high. Only a handful of clubs are this rich in real life, even they dont spend this big.

If another team is superior to you, they will continue to score goals. So you get unrealistic scores. I'm Sampdoria and am unbeaten for 10 games, then along comes Inter and Zlatan scores 4 goals in the first 10 minutes. I lost 5-2. Then a few games later, I play Reggina, who are bottom 5, they score 3 goals in 9 minutes, the opening 9 minutes. Again, this is a team that hasnt won in about 9 matches.

Exageratted? yes. Unrealistic? no. No team could expect to go a whole season without another team cracking their tactics E.G Russia v Holland - Euro 2008, Hiddink cracked Holland's tactic within 3 games although i do see what you mean by a player scoring too much (if someone's 'due' to score a hattrick, they will score it no matter what defence).

Another thing that annoys me is how so much can happen in a virtual minute - in the last few minutes of the match, a team can have about 5 chances within 1 minute - hence most goals coming in stoppage time.

Yeah this winds many 'FMers' up, but when you think about it logically if your team were losing with 1 minute + Stoppage to go thwey would go all out attack thus creating more chaces for themselves and more for the oppositon on the counter attack.

Lastly, the times at which you get yellow cards are ridiculous. You can get one in 25 game seconds, then another after 4 game minutes. In real life you usually dont get them that early. You get the occasional yellow in the first 10 minutes, but come on? 20 seconds?

This never really happens to me so can't give you my point of view, but maybe your not disciplining the team enough or something.

One more - the fact that transfer fees are so high by the AI. You see teams like Inter, United and Roma sign players for ridiculous amounts such as 49m pounds for David Villa. Firstly, Roma has a policy to never spend over 20m. Secondly, how is it realistic for Inter to sign Aguero for 35m, then Ribery for 20m, and David Villa for 40m in the same window? The amount of money teams make is far too high. Only a handful of clubs are this rich in real life, even they dont spend this big.

As has been said many times, the transfer system is a shambles really, hopefuly SI will change it for a future game (FM 09 hopefully).

None of the above were smartarse comments, neither were they meant to cause an argument - just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply coolbananas. I agree its realistic to have more chances when you are down in the last few minutes, but I think there are slightly too many. For example, instead of 5 in a minute, maybe 3.

I agree about your other replies. When a player is on form, theres no way of stopping him (or her?). There is sometimes a feeling where the AI is bound to beat you. A few times I've tried reloading a match, not to cheat, but to see what happens. No matter what I change, I would lose about 95% of the games, and OCCASIONALLY draw. Sometimes I think the engine is scripted. But hopefully its just a pattern that doesnt repeat often.

I don't want to argue with people or want any smartarse comments please

Tough.

It's your tactics. icon_wink.gif

Most people encounter these problems until you get used to the game. Someone posted stats proving that a huge percentage of goals in real life come in the last ten minutes. The AI's 4-2-4 tactic is unrealistically effective, but that really is (no sarcasm) your tactics - it's easy to counter, but if you can't find a way round it and don't want to search this forum or the Tactics one, just delete it from the tactics folder.

Sorry, mate. But not much of what's said here is new or relevant. Hope it gave a cathartic cleansing, though. icon_cool.gif

A few times I've tried reloading a match, not to cheat, but to see what happens. No matter what I change, I would lose about 95% of the games, and OCCASIONALLY draw. Sometimes I think the engine is scripted. But hopefully its just a pattern that doesnt repeat often.

I have also tried this experiment and had the same results. Sometimes feels like no mattre what players, tactics etc you play, you can not turn the result.

I have also tried this experiment and had the same results. Sometimes feels like no mattre what players, tactics etc you play, you can not turn the result.

That's an interesting one as I've encountered a similar thing.

I recently got p***ed off with a match against Osasuna. They were in the relegation zone and it should have been been an easy win but I was suddenly 2-0 down inside 20 minutes. I exited FM08 in mid-match without saving forgetting I hadn't saved after my previous match - a superb 3-0 win over Valencia (who have far better players than me).

So I had to replay the Valencia game. I still won, only this time 3-1. The Osasuna game followed pretty much the same pattern although I eventually scrape a 1-1 draw.

It makes you wonder...

Originally posted by JML69:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A few times I've tried reloading a match, not to cheat, but to see what happens. No matter what I change, I would lose about 95% of the games, and OCCASIONALLY draw. Sometimes I think the engine is scripted. But hopefully its just a pattern that doesnt repeat often.

I have also tried this experiment and had the same results. Sometimes feels like no mattre what players, tactics etc you play, you can not turn the result. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I read somewhere this is to do with your players' mentality on the day. If you save just before the game and keep reloading it without reliving the media comments (and changing them) it can have a bad impact on morale etc. A bit annoying but I don't think it means anything is scripted.

i agree with the comments on good teams scoring, inconsistency etc.

as Newcastle i just beat man utd 5-2 at old trafford and then next game lost 7-1 to arsenal at highbury. same tactics, same players. no matter what i did i couldn't stop them scoring.

I agree completely with your comments about transfer fees, it had never bothered me until yesterday. I became the chelsea manager and was handed a £150m transfer budget so I made one target a 28 yr old Cristiano Ronaldo. I offered at first £40m thinking this would bring him in, no. Then offered £50m , no. and I carried on like this offerening £10m more each time until I got to £100m, then they negotiated and I eventually landed him for £123m. Now two things about this annoy me

1) the fact that this is £100m more than his "value"

2) The fact that MY board actually allowed it.

It gave me an idea so I downloaded FMM and gave myself another £100m to start an experiment and found that you had to pay incredible sums for players like £74m for micah richards, £30m for Gerrard ( who is 31!) and £150m for Torres (£100m upfront with another £50m over 12 months)

Ludicrous!

As for the match engine it is a little annoying that the AI seems to be able to pick apart your tactics at times but you do the same playing the game. I think it adds to the challenge and while I agree that the home advantage and the effect media responses play in the match are too great, on the whole the match engine is good.

if a team is supior to yours then you need to approach the match in a different way to when you play a rubbish team.

obviuosly.

if a team doesn't keep manutd's ronaldo quite then he will run riot.

so they will have specific instructions to deal with him.

i've had no problems with other teams scoring loads against me.

i use to have rooney score loads but i've sorted him out and he barely scores against me now.

if the oppo are changing their tactics because its the last 5 minutes and your not then their tactics may be better.

anyway it's not uncommon to get 3 FM chances in 20 seconds because goal mouth scrambles where they have 3 shots in quick succession is 3 shots.

i'm in january and haven't had a single red yet. my team aren't that dirty either despite my two center backs being hard tacklers and gerrard also.

perhaps your players are coming out too quickly with the challenges/

Originally posted by Cometdude:

I agree completely with your comments about transfer fees, it had never bothered me until yesterday. I became the chelsea manager and was handed a £150m transfer budget so I made one target a 28 yr old Cristiano Ronaldo. I offered at first £40m thinking this would bring him in, no. Then offered £50m , no. and I carried on like this offerening £10m more each time until I got to £100m, then they negotiated and I eventually landed him for £123m. Now two things about this annoy me

1) the fact that this is £100m more than his "value"

2) The fact that MY board actually allowed it.

It gave me an idea so I downloaded FMM and gave myself another £100m to start an experiment and found that you had to pay incredible sums for players like £74m for micah richards, £30m for Gerrard ( who is 31!) and £150m for Torres (£100m upfront with another £50m over 12 months)

Ludicrous!

As for the match engine it is a little annoying that the AI seems to be able to pick apart your tactics at times but you do the same playing the game. I think it adds to the challenge and while I agree that the home advantage and the effect media responses play in the match are too great, on the whole the match engine is good.

i got micah richards for 35 million pounds by playing tough.

they kept rejecting my offers and asking for 70mill. until i put a bid in of 25mill on the last day of the transfer window and they accepted straight awya.

i doubt in real life ronaldos 'value' is anywhere near how much the team are willing to pay for him.

I´ll post my rant here too. I don´t care if it already has been discussed, I need to get it out of the system.

1. Old players turn into crap way too fast. If a player is over 32 when the game starts, his stats (especially pace and acceleration) will drop remarkably fast, and they will be useless within a season. Plus, it seems like the AI managers will treat any player close to 30 like crap. WHen Frank Lampard turn 30, I get a message a week where some bloke is trying to convince to be a manager. Why is this?

2. Work Permits. Players like Andrey Arshavin, a star for russia with 33 caps, will not get a work permit for the UK. Is this in any way realistic?

3. AI team can´t develope their talents. I don´t care what SI or anyone says, they simply can´t develope their talents.

Please look into this for the next version of the game.

IM a fan of realism indeed but sometimes things get way out of hand.

Example

VVV-Ajax, 47th minute ajax scores 0-4

Normaly this match is done, even if VVV would go all out they woudent score more then 1 or 2 goals.

More likly taking to much risk would end them up losing with 1-6 or 1-7.

I let my drop back, slow play, slowing passing but they never manage to easily finish the game.

always when the opesite teams goes for the attack they score. cant believe it *pulling hairs*

VVV-AjaxSplitScreen.png

Originally posted by Cohen:

IM a fan of realism indeed but sometimes things get way out of hand.

Example

VVV-Ajax, 47th minute ajax scores 0-4

Normaly this match is done, even if VVV would go all out they woudent score more then 1 or 2 goals.

More likly taking to much risk would end them up losing with 1-6 or 1-7.

I let my drop back, slow play, slowing passing but they never manage to easily finish the game.

always when the opesite teams goes for the attack they score. cant believe it *pulling hairs*

VVV-AjaxSplitScreen.png

That would be your tactics failing.

Archived