Bidding for players - who are not interested

OK guys,

Ive got a game with Eindhoven (not PSV) going at the moment.

In my first season, my squad does need some strengthening in certain areas, if not - all areas.

So the players that my Assistant has filtered are ok but will not get me promoted if i bid for them - i see it as a waste of money. I've even checked their CA and PA and they are not better than the top players in the same division. So im looking for players with a CA of at least 120.

So my question is...Do you, as a lower league manager, still bid for players (not necessarily world class) that are not filtered hoping to still sign them?

From my experience most of the time, they always reject no matter how much money i offer.

I have actually bid for over 300 players!! loool - (stupid and crazy i know!)..but i have no choice - i have to take chances here - Do you think that the more players you bid for, the more chance you may have in signing at least a few of them?

Do you think that the more players you bid for, the more chance you may have in signing at least a few of them?

That's like saying, "do you think if I eat more cakes, there's more chance of me getting fat", the answer will always be yes :D

As CaptainPlanet pointed out, CA and PA is no guarantee of promotion, there are many players in the game who will fit the profile you want/need, but don't meet your CA/PA criteria. If you base your search on attributes and specifically key attributes, you will find more players willing to join your club and for less money.

Am I right assuming that initial question and point was to ask, whether you have a chance to sign someone who is not listed as interested by your assman or whether it is a comletely pointless exercise to waste time bidding for them?

If so I can tell you that a few times I managed to sign unemployed players who said they were not interested after offering them enough money. So I guess it should be possible, but don't expect success with that too often, even if you offer loads of cash. :)

So my question is...Do you, as a lower league manager, still bid for players (not necessarily world class) that are not filtered hoping to still sign them?

No I don't do that, I rely on my scouts. Thrusting that they players they have recommend me are good for the team. If I gain promotion I try to find some new scouts with better attributes so I get even better scout reports and hoping that in this way it will lead to the title in the premier league or a offer from a higher reputation club.

CA and PA is not the be all and end all of whether a player is good or not and whether he will play well for you. There are a lot more factors that that.

I agree and dont agree with this mate.

You can buy a player full of superb attributes for a defender i.e. Teddy Bertin on a Free Transfer....but he is no way good enough to play for the likes of Man Utd or Barcelona etc...

The CA and PA does play a big part i think.

Am I right assuming that initial question and point was to ask, whether you have a chance to sign someone who is not listed as interested by your assman or whether it is a comletely pointless exercise to waste time bidding for them?

If so I can tell you that a few times I managed to sign unemployed players who said they were not interested after offering them enough money. So I guess it should be possible, but don't expect success with that too often, even if you offer loads of cash. :)

This is what i thought - Im sure in some cases you can turn the players' initial decision around and if you offer the right contract - he will join in some cases - even if your Assistant has him filtered out as an 'unrealistic' target.

I didn't say it was useless, it's just not the only thing to look at.

Team cohesion is more important in FM09 than any previous version, you could easily have a team of CA 100 players that are gelled together beat a team of random 200 CA players thrown together.

My Man City midfield was run by a player who pretty much only had good passing and technique and a determined attitude (his other stats were well down in the 5-12 range) he just fitted my team perfectly and got on well other players.

Of course its important to an extent as you can't stick any old person in a team, but it's not the only thing to look at. I certainly would never buy a player solely based on CA or PA.

I didn't say it was useless, it's just not the only thing to look at.

Team cohesion is more important in FM09 than any previous version, you could easily have a team of CA 100 players that are gelled together beat a team of random 200 CA players thrown together.

My Man City midfield was run by a player who pretty much only had good passing and technique and a determined attitude (his other stats were well down in the 5-12 range) he just fitted my team perfectly and got on well other players.

Of course its important to an extent as you can't stick any old person in a team, but it's not the only thing to look at. I certainly would never buy a player solely based on CA or PA.

Oh no! - me neither - I would never buy a player based on CA and PA ONLY - I do look at his mental/technical/physical ability too for sure as he has to have some vital stats to contribute something to the team. But i just want a squad of gifted players who are at least a 120 for CA in the league i am in.

It is possible, although you have to be pretty close to where he'd accept you with only a bit more reputation.

As Man City, I got Messi even though the scout said he had no interest in coming, it even says he didn't want to come on his contract offer page. However, I guess every ***** has his price, because he accepted my 180000 Euro a week + crapload of other benefits.

I once signed a player who was not interested by having a bid accepted for him, offering him 50k p/w (in Championship) and being refused. The very next day he was unhappy because his club had accepted a transfer for him, so I re-bid and signed him for 20k p/w at the same transfer price!

Seems a little silly that he didn't just accept the first offer, but it is how I managed to get a player to join me.

Archived