Slow processing? Try this.

I have been furious not being able to enjoy the game to it's fullest. Don't get me wrong, I love FM09 but I like to have a lot of leagues and players etc. loaded. My comp is supreme so I knew it wasn't that.

I'll get to the point. Don't use the "load players from x" option. And I mean none. I now have 60 leagues but no additional players loaded from any nation I can't check the league box for. I started experimenting with just england loaded and players from 5 countries and it still stuck on processing constantly. Even just loading all players from say Barbados causes a slowdown.

Just checking league boxes and I'm running fine.

Yes it's a bummer to do this and am hoping it's fixed soon but for now....I'm enjoying my current save more than any other since launch.

Do you work for the Daily Mail? Because you're doing a very good job at scaremongering.

yeah whatever

i played for 3 weeks in windowed mode same leagues same save same everything

i was fed up of slow processing so i put it on 1028 X 768 (i think that was the right res anyway)

so i've played for 5 weeks and my games and seasons are coming atleast 20% faster

AMD duo core 6000 3.ghz

5gb ddr 2 ram

geforce 8800GT 512mb GPU

same specs as always and alot faster processes now in 15-20 seconds instead of 30-45 oh and btw i run 12 nations and 38 leagues

i will point out i'm on windows vista premium 64bit though just incase it makes no difference on 32 bit systems

yeah whatever

i played for 3 weeks in windowed mode same leagues same save same everything

i was fed up of slow processing so i put it on 1028 X 768 (i think that was the right res anyway)

so i've played for 5 weeks and my games and seasons are coming atleast 20% faster

AMD duo core 6000 3.ghz

5gb ddr 2 ram

geforce 8800GT 512mb GPU

same specs as always and alot faster processes now in 15-20 seconds instead of 30-45 oh and btw i run 12 nations and 38 leagues

i will point out i'm on windows vista premium 64bit though just incase it makes no difference on 32 bit systems

There was me thinking you had proof. :thdn:

Is this for real? There is no good reason why there should be any difference. But then again SI are masters at making things run as slow as possible.

not sure why mate... but i will point out i had alot of not responding errors at the top of windowed mode and yet it still continued after as if nothing was wrong maybe the error was killing my speed?

once in full screen mode i never got the not responding error again

There was me thinking you had proof. :thdn:

you mean more proof than actually getting to games faster and finishing seasons alot faster?

try it yourself maybe it was my system only

i'm just saying i'm now enjoying more faster processing due to full screen i also have a CPU gauge that tells me it's using 20% less cpu once in full screen

you mean more proof than actually getting to games faster and finishing seasons alot faster?

try it yourself maybe it was my system only

i'm just saying i'm now enjoying more faster processing due to full screen i also have a CPU gauge that tells me it's using 20% less cpu once in full screen

You said:

also playing in windowed mode uses 20% more processor

Which means to me that playing windowed mode in general uses more of the processor. There could be 1 million reasons for your problems

It will run slower in windowed mode because your graphics card isn't dedicated to Football Manager.

While Football Manager is hardly graphically intensive, some aspects of Vista are, which causes the slowdown.

Add to the fact I'm sure some applications are smart enough to do no visual things when a program is in fullscreen mode (which can be detected) - games will run slower in windowed mode.

It will run slower in windowed mode because your graphics card isn't dedicated to Football Manager.

While Football Manager is hardly graphically intensive, some aspects of Vista are, which causes the slowdown.

Add to the fact I'm sure some applications are smart enough to do no visual things when a program is in fullscreen mode (which can be detected) - games will run slower in windowed mode.

would playing in windowed mode also use up more cpu usage?

as mine was definetly showing to have 20% less usage during fullscreen

in windowed mode during processing it was stating 7% free cpu during full screen it was stating 27% free cpu ?

Geez there are some precious folk on these forums! The OP was clearly making a suggestion based on his own experiences for others to try. Nowhere that I can see did he make any bold claims that he had done more testing than a NASA scientist, nor did he suggest that what worked for him would definitely work for everyone and we should all abandon ‘add all players’ and windowed mode. Yet of course on here everyone has to get their FM d*#*s out and give him stick don’t they.

To the OP, I for one appreciate your post as I have had very similar issues to yourself. Tonight when I go home I will try your suggestions and see if they work for me. If I can see even 5% performance improvement, I will be satisfied. If I don’t, you can rest assured I will not be back on this thread slagging you off for giving ‘bad advice’.

I’m pretty sure that was your intention in the first place, was it not?!

Geez there are some precious folk on these forums! The OP was clearly making a suggestion based on his own experiences for others to try. Nowhere that I can see did he make any bold claims that he had done more testing than a NASA scientist, nor did he suggest that what worked for him would definitely work for everyone and we should all abandon ‘add all players’ and windowed mode. Yet of course on here everyone has to get their FM d*#*s out and give him stick don’t they.

To the OP, I for one appreciate your post as I have had very similar issues to yourself. Tonight when I go home I will try your suggestions and see if they work for me. If I can see even 5% performance improvement, I will be satisfied. If I don’t, you can rest assured I will not be back on this thread slagging you off for giving ‘bad advice’.

I’m pretty sure that was your intention in the first place, was it not?!

Calm down a bit, we are trying to input our suggestions aswell. We help forum members a lot so I don't think it is right for you to come on and tell us we are 'precious folk'

Ok, my personal experiences are the complete opposite of the OP's.

On my old, pretty rubbish, computer I could just about run all the english leagues along with the top spanish, french and italian leagues. However if I decided just to run the english leagues I could add all players from spain, italy, germany, france, columbia and brazil without it being any slower at all.

peter-evo

calm as you like mate! Just because my post came straight after yours, don’t assume that I was specifically referring to you mate.

But your comment seems to reinforce my point I think. There are lots of people on this forum who post there own experiences in the aid of providing some sort of assistance to others. I’ve tended to learn a great deal of folks such as these.There are others who seem to prefer to puff out there fm-chests, implying more or less subtly (and usually less) that they know more about the game than whoever they are challenging, and then tend to call into question the ‘knowledge’ of the person and the validity of their suggestions. It’s not that I’ve got a problem with people challenging, it’s how we all learn more about the game, it’s more the way that they tend to go about it that tends to frustrate me. At the end of the day this is a game, and if someone takes the time to share their experiences (however individual or ‘un-tested’ they may be) in the hope that other players will get something out of it, then I don’t think they should be criticized or challenged in an aggressive or sarcastic manner.

It would seem to make sense that only selecting leagues and not "load all players from..." would lessen the strain on your computer. When I use the MLS, I always have England, Italy, Germany, Spain and France selected for the highest league-only. Although my database is filled with numerous players (predominantly English) it's nowhere near the number of actual players that would come from "load all...", so I imagine the computer isn't having to work as hard tracking the progress (not just stats- stuff like CA) of so many players...

Archived