Learning a language ingame

I was appointed National manager/coach of Uruguay and I'm having problems/issues with both media and players/staff because I don't speak Spanish.

1) Will this adversley affect the performance of my side?

2) If answer to above is yes, will it affect my manager rating overall and cause other problems longer term with regards to applying for future posts, signing players etc.?

3) How long do I have to manage Uruguay for basic Spanish to appear as a language in my profile?

what problems? does it not translate?

It started at the press conference to introduce me as the new manager of the national side. The media were quite aggressive in their questioning, asking basically how I would get on as I couldn't speak Spanish.

I've also noticed certain staff/players aren't happy with my appointment.

Not sure if it's because I'm not Uruguayan or don't speak Spanish or both.

I was only appointed to the post last night, just before I went to bed, so I haven't played any matches yet but I already get the impression, particularly from the media, that not speaking Spanish in-game counts against me.

That line of questioning from the press is common for managers taking positions that require a language they don't have, but only in the initial introduction. It was never brought up again, for me.

Have you had the same problem yourself?

So how do you think that relates to the three questions I asked in the OP?

I always start in a foreign league, so I start the game not knowing the language and the first question in the press conference is about how i'll deal with it, but that's that, they never bring it up again and it seems to be pretty cosmetic.

1. Slightly, but not a major issue.

2. You'll learn it eventally so there are no long term issues.

3. Depends, sometimes it takes 3 months, sometimes 6, but nothing to worry about.

I became manager of Russia and as I didn't speak Russian, it was brought up in the press conferences but it was never mentioned again and didn't have an obvious affect to me anyway. Eventually I learned it. :D

Thanks for your reply. You and Elrithral have put my mind at rest.

As I said earlier just before I turned the PC off last night I was offered the Uruguay job, which I accepted. I got asked the 'language' questions you refer to at my first press conference and then checked the national squad to find ceratin players/staff weren't delighted with my appointment.

I was worried that I might struggle as Uruguay boss, due to my lack of Spanish, and didn't wantit affecting my overall manager rating, as I have been quite successful at club level and hoping for a job offer from a big club sooner rather than later.

Archived